Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MyInkIsMyArt Quote
I would actually be very curious to see what kind of shadow detail could be recovered from the K-3. I have been blown away with my K-5 in that field. In fact, I posted a picture here before to display it. I didn't even have to push any of the settings too hard in light room, just a few moderate slides on a few adjustment bars, and the whole thing came to life... let's see if I can find those comparison photos...
since i dont have the k-5 anymore, i will look later for some similar pictures. Last year i traveled to iceland with a K-3 and a K-5, usind the 15mm DA limited on the K-3 and the 50-135 on the K-5

08-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How else would I respond other than to give a direct reply to what he posted along with my personal view and opinions on it?
With a "Thanks for your input" instead of dismissing everything he said? Sorry, you just came off as having read up on the k-3 and already decided its improvements aren't amazing for your purposes (there would be nothing at all wrong with this). These cameras have been compared in dozens of threads if you want personal accounts and short of getting one in your hands there's probably not much more you can learn that isn't already out there. This being a camera website, users are always happy to talk about their tech, so I hope you find whatever answers you're after.
08-20-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
since i dont have the k-5 anymore, i will look later for some similar pictures. Last year i traveled to iceland with a K-3 and a K-5, usind the 15mm DA limited on the K-3 and the 50-135 on the K-5
We were in Iceland two months back. The whole island is covered by scenery, but the weather comes and goes.
08-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I do still use not only the K5, but an older K20D. The latter has a feature I miss on both newer bodies: a switch to turn on-off the VR sensor shift when the camera is off-on a tripod. Particularly walking about, I often often switch from hand-held to tripod and I'm constantly forgetting to open the "information" panel and change the VR setting on the K3, and that process is not nearly as convenient as the little switch on the K20D. Wonder if I can assign the green button to be a VR on-off? Doubt it. How about the new FF automatically turning off VR when a cable release is inserted? Nope, I'd rather have the flip-switch back.
The K-5 can only control SR through a menu. On the K-3, I programmed the useless-to-me RAW/JPEG button to cycle SR.

Some prefer switches for SR, metering and AF Mode, as on the K20D. I find the K-3 buttons a huge improvement over previous cameras. My USER modes are programmed to change these parameters and many others instantaneously. I customized the User modes for Tripod, Flash and Action. I can change just about every setting on the camera to optimal values for each of these simply by rotating the Mode dial.

I can be walking along a trail, shooting in Hyper-Program mode, SR on, Matrix metering, AF-S, center point focus, and see a bird flying toward me. Two clicks on the Mode dial, and I'm ready for BIF (TAv mode, 1000s, f8, SR off, CW metering, AF-C, 25-point Expanded AF, 0.5EV). Incredibly fast, and no worries about forgetting to change one of the settings.

Re the OP, the K-5 I bought had severe front-focus in tungsten light. Firmware upgrades did not help. so I sent it back. I don't know how much reading you do about users' practical experiences. I read two Pentax forums daily, and it is clear to me that the K-5 has unreliable AF accuracy in low and coloured light. The K-5 II, IIs and K-3 addressed this failing. The K-3 is rated to -3EV AF and metering, but you don't have to shoot in the dark to see the difference. The K-3 AF is quicker and more accurate. The K3 has sophisticated tracking controls, completely lacking in the K-5. Cropping is not important to you, but it is critically important to anyone who shoots a lot of telephoto with a good lens.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-20-2015 at 11:22 AM.
08-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you actually used a K-3? It is a better camera than the K-5 is just about every possible way, and I have have used a K10D, two K-5's and a K-5 IIs commercially by means of comparison.

More resolution - this matters in the real world. Sometimes a crop from the image you have is far better than the image you didn't get because you had the wrong lens on the body.
Better AF. Like, MUCH better. You may not care, but most of us do.
Faster burst rate. If you shoot events or sports this is a biggie.
Selectable AA emulation in the rare instances when fine patterns might be an issue.
Ergonomics - this is the big one. Measurebators can't quantify this. It is just a much nicer camera to use. The placement of the back AF button is perfect, and everything else just comes to hand once you're through the learning curve.
Dual cards, FluCard (yes, it's really useful), blah blah blah....
08-20-2015, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The placement of the back AF button is perfect, and everything else just comes to hand once you're through the learning curve.
Yes, yes YES!!!

Ricoh, Pentax whoever is designing the new apsc and full frame bodies you got it perfect with the K3. I couldn't use back button focus on the K5, my fat thumb pressed other buttons.
08-20-2015, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I have stated several times that I have never used one and have only read about the stats, which is exactly why I am asking for input from people who have first hand experience with the K-3.
In that case, I hope my contribution helps. If I was given a K-5 now I would give it back.

08-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-5 ----------------- vs ----------------K-3
...is there something I am completely missing here?
Yes... It's the skill level/dedication/love-of-life of the photographer. If you are a lousy K-5 photographer, you'll hate the K-3. If you are a world class photographer, you'll probably be able to get along just fine with a K100D, K-5, K-3... or any piece of workable kit without regard to brand and model. If the desire is to become a better photographer, overcoming the challenges presented by gear is easy... it just takes some time and using the tools at hand, plus a desire to learn how best to address content and composition.

Just sayin'... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 08-20-2015 at 11:10 AM.
08-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

too late - your original post has been quoted many times for the rest to see.....
08-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Some prefer switches for SR, metering and AF Mode, as on the K20D. I find the K-3 buttons a huge improvement over previous cameras. My USER modes are programmed to change these parameters and many others instantaneously. I customized the User modes for Tripod, Flash and Action. I can change just about every setting on the camera to optimal values for each of these simply by rotating the Mode dial. .
I must try the USER modes on the dial, as they have been UNUSED. Thanks for reminding me.

BTW: Another small thing I might change in the ergonomics of the K3. I find my right thumb sometimes inadvertently hits the 3 o'clock on the four-way controller, either changing color balance or shifting the focus point to the right. Wish that dial were a bit more protected, or shifted slightly in position, or had a lock switch as I believe some Nikons have.
08-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One can only guess why you deleted the text of your original post and removed all of your subsequent comments. You have your opinions and the right to post them. You asked for comments and comments you got. If you have a change of mind, one way to deal with it is to simply use the strike-out feature of advanced mode editor. Simply "erasing" and exiting from your own thread is sort of bad form.

Steve
08-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BTW: Another small thing I might change in the ergonomics of the K3. I find my right thumb sometimes inadvertently hits the 3 o'clock on the four-way controller, either changing color balance or shifting the focus point to the right. Wish that dial were a bit more protected, or shifted slightly in position, or had a lock switch as I believe some Nikons have.
Ditto for the AF point select button. A simple confirm ("OK") for changes would be nice.

Steve
08-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the OP didn't like the replies so he deleted all of his posts in this and multiple other threads.
For those of you who may wonder what the thread is about, his original post is quoted in this reply, and many of his other posts were quoted as well, preserving them for posterity.

Last edited by Parallax; 08-20-2015 at 11:08 AM.
08-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
The only thing I don't like about my K-3 over the K-7 is the new AF-point toggle button. I much preferred the dual use OK in the middle of the 4-way control.

My K-3 even has a shutter button problem (sometimes does some strange things depending on how firm I push it or if it wiggles a little during half press). Even with that, I never sent it in for service because it was, and is, that much better.

I appreciate those who love their K-5s and older cameras. What it means to me is that Pentax is putting out bodies that are good enough to last you through at least one new iteration before upgrading. Whatever APSC camera is released after the K-3II, it would have to be exceptionally good for me to consider upgrading.

I'll happily wait out a few years with my K-3.
08-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I guess the OP didn't like the replies so he deleted all of his posts in this and multiple other threads.
I prefer to believe that both he and PentaxDude (OP of the thread that will not die) have been abducted by agents of the hociR and are being held in stasis chambers until needed in their final roles in the destruction of Tokyo (or something like that).

Steve

(...the evidence is there if we look for it...)
Closed Thread