Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #16
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Everything you will have is newer than mine (k-3, 18-135 and DA55-300 old version)... congratulation and you will have a blast and lots of fun!!
Don't forget to post your trophy shots here...

---------- Post added 08-21-2015 at 11:10 AM ----------

The 3 amigos are indeed a legend of its own, I have all 3. For convenience you may want to consider the 20-40, which is very versatile since you can use it outdoors and indoors (for low light shooting as well as flash).
Absolutely will post 😃

I don't think I'll use that pixel shift resolution much often along with gps. I just bought it because it's newer in lineup, but I think we still have the same guns except of 16-85. To be honest, first of all, I really like to see a quality of this lense in real life.

Well, besides, you are a lucky owner of amigos, ehh

08-21-2015, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic choices!

I have the 18-135 WR and the 55-300 WR on a K-5ii. I personally love this kind of kit. I find that I normally leave the 55-300 at home to lower the weight/size of my kit. I have to say, both lenses are pretty darn sharp/contrasty and will make you happy. The better low light performance of the K-3 will probably make thises lenes even more valuable to you.

You MAY want to consider picking up a 35mm f2.4 and/or a 50mm f1.8 for when these lenses just arn't fast enough, but you may find that to be unessesary.

Happy shooting!
08-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yea the Plastic Fantastic's are must buys. I love my 35/50. SO light and such very good images.
08-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #19
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Fantastic choices!

I have the 18-135 WR and the 55-300 WR on a K-5ii. I personally love this kind of kit. I find that I normally leave the 55-300 at home to lower the weight/size of my kit. I have to say, both lenses are pretty darn sharp/contrasty and will make you happy. The better low light performance of the K-3 will probably make thises lenes even more valuable to you.

You MAY want to consider picking up a 35mm f2.4 and/or a 50mm f1.8 for when these lenses just arn't fast enough, but you may find that to be unessesary.

Happy shooting!
Thanks, I think I'll miss that 85-135 range a little bit. Leaving zoom lense at home I guess will somehow rise the feeling that you miss it.

Yes, low light performane was one of those features which helped me make decision.

08-21-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
You're wrong, the 55-300 is indeed a good lens, not great like a 70-200 or 50-135 2.8 but it is a cheap alternative. Check out these sample photos below.

SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Those pictures are nice, but they're the older version of the lens (SMC). The new HD version with the HD coating seems to have better colors and microcontrast (a.k.a. "perceived sharpness"). See: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=pentax%20hd%2055-300mm&view_all=1

A good 2 lens starter setup, add a DA 35mm f2.8 Limited Macro and a DA*55mm f1.4 and you'll be set for a while
08-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Those pictures are nice, but they're the older version of the lens (SMC). The new HD version with the HD coating seems to have better colors and microcontrast (a.k.a. "perceived sharpness"). See: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=pentax%20hd%2055-300mm&view_all=1

A good 2 lens starter setup, add a DA 35mm f2.8 Limited Macro and a DA*55mm f1.4 and you'll be set for a while
You have to use the drop down in the image finder to find the WR version. My photos can be found here and I know I took them with the 55-300WR version. You can also try the Pentax Photo Gallery. Be sure you click the top right "Camera and Lenses" to select your camera and lens combo.

PENTAX : Welcome to the PENTAX Photo Gallery
08-21-2015, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard! Your gonna love your purchase!
08-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #23
Lev

Original Poster
thank you thank you

08-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Good to hear that, I've just spent a lot of time reading user opinions and many of them aren't happy with its edge sharpness, especially between 200 and 300.

Well, anyway, these action shots in the link you gave me are just beautiful.

---------- Post added 08-21-15 at 05:58 AM ----------

Thanks!

Yes I will definitely need primes for sure, that 50mm 1.4 must be amazing glass!

But after these two lenses I might go for another telezoom with more aperture. (damn expensive but so attractive).
I believe a lot of the issues you describe with the 55-300 are sample-variation-related. You need to test the lens carefully to verify if you have a good-enough-for-you copy. I believe a good copy of the lens would be the best alternative for a moderately-priced pentax-compatible lens in that range. And for a lot of us the size and weight is an important issue too, vs. the higher-end alternatives. I'd quit buying/returning 55-300s for a year or two, but was so tempted by the recent price drop that I'm going to be out testing again next week. There's got to be a good one out there somewhere. The issues I've had have been centering-related: some edges/corners that are just visibly worse than others, in fairly controlled testing. And not just at the long end - at least two copies I tried were horrible at 55mm, but actually better past the mid-range. With longer lenses like these, I believe a lot of consumers really just look at the center, and every 55-300 I've had has been ok there. But when you're photographing a wall (foliage, bricks, etc.) at, say, f11 - f13, you want all the edges and corners to cooperate. You may get super-high-end sharpness from these lenses (and regardless of optical quality, you get diffraction issues at some point), but if I could take the best of all the best edges and corners of all the 55-300 copies I've tried and put them together in one lens... that would be as much as you could expect for anywhere near the price.
08-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I believe a lot of the issues you describe with the 55-300 are sample-variation-related. You need to test the lens carefully to verify if you have a good-enough-for-you copy. I believe a good copy of the lens would be the best alternative for a moderately-priced pentax-compatible lens in that range. And for a lot of us the size and weight is an important issue too, vs. the higher-end alternatives. I'd quit buying/returning 55-300s for a year or two, but was so tempted by the recent price drop that I'm going to be out testing again next week. There's got to be a good one out there somewhere. The issues I've had have been centering-related: some edges/corners that are just visibly worse than others, in fairly controlled testing. And not just at the long end - at least two copies I tried were horrible at 55mm, but actually better past the mid-range. With longer lenses like these, I believe a lot of consumers really just look at the center, and every 55-300 I've had has been ok there. But when you're photographing a wall (foliage, bricks, etc.) at, say, f11 - f13, you want all the edges and corners to cooperate. You may get super-high-end sharpness from these lenses (and regardless of optical quality, you get diffraction issues at some point), but if I could take the best of all the best edges and corners of all the 55-300 copies I've tried and put them together in one lens... that would be as much as you could expect for anywhere near the price.
Thanks for this info, when I was about to buy 16-85, I was sure that this lense is capable to take pro grade photo, but I also needed something to cover long ranges. This was just nightmare for me. Spent days and nights searching right, affordable lense. Starting with 50-200, then 18-270, 55-300, when I saw price for DA star 60-250 I almost got heart attack, finally stoped on 55-300 first of all because of its range along with HD and WR, it was somehow close to my primary zoom. At this time I realized that it's not possible to find lense with super zoom ability with a brilliant IQ under $500. So I finally bought it. But this doesn't mean I shouldn't try to shoot seriously and make some goot photos out from this lense. I'll do my best.

Last edited by Lev; 08-22-2015 at 11:34 AM.
08-25-2015, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're considering a 50mm prime and money is tight, think about the DA 50mm f/1.8. It's not that much slower than the FA 50/1.4, the optics are nothing to complain about, and at least in the US it's ridiculously cheap right now.

I'd advise against the DA 35/2.8 Limited Macro unless macrophotography is something you do (or intend to do) a lot of. It's essential for my work, and I bought it for that reason, but it's significantly more expensive than Pentax's other 35mm DA prime (the 35/2.4 "plastic fantastic"). Of course if you have no problems affording it and you want the macro potential for possible future use, then by all means get it.
08-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #27
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you're considering a 50mm prime and money is tight, think about the DA 50mm f/1.8. It's not that much slower than the FA 50/1.4, the optics are nothing to complain about, and at least in the US it's ridiculously cheap right now.

I'd advise against the DA 35/2.8 Limited Macro unless macrophotography is something you do (or intend to do) a lot of. It's essential for my work, and I bought it for that reason, but it's significantly more expensive than Pentax's other 35mm DA prime (the 35/2.4 "plastic fantastic"). Of course if you have no problems affording it and you want the macro potential for possible future use, then by all means get it.
Thanks! My gear is about to arrive in two days, just want to be sure it's ok. Primes primes after all... I guess Pentax without primes is like mustang without a racing stripes ))

Anyway, this DA* 60-250 and 70-200 both killing me, wonder how it is to shoot... but damn big bulky heavy longy 😃
08-25-2015, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
My first K-3 II, my first HD 16-85 and my first HD 55-300 are on it's way!!!
Enjoy it all... once you get hands on.
08-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #29
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Enjoy it all... once you get hands on.
thanks 😃
08-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #30
Pentaxian

2 days still? Ooh man... that wait's gotta be tough...

So did you decide on any primes yet?