Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #181
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine arrived in fully repaired status while their system still listed it as as received. YMMV

11-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Mine arrived in fully repaired status while their system still listed it as as received. YMMV
Thanks! Happy for you! Yes, I have seen that occurrence mentioned in other people's stories too. Holding out hope.
11-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #183
mee
Site Supporter

I haven't paid anything yet though. So if they want to ship it back repaired for free, while keeping it in 'Received' status then that is fine by me! But I doubt that happens.. haha.
11-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I haven't paid anything yet though. So if they want to ship it back repaired for free, while keeping it in 'Received' status then that is fine by me! But I doubt that happens.. haha.
I agree. I am holding out hope that they may have looked at it and gotten an estimate done but misplaced your status.

11-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #185
mee
Site Supporter

Still nothing.. and obviously nothing tomorrow and likely not on friday. Aggravating.

I contacted both them and Ricoh Imaging yesterday and so far neither have responded.

It is like some kind of secret organization where they contact you, you don't contact them. haha I was hoping it would be back and in great condition by now. So, if it was, I'd buy a K-3 on BF and sell my K-5II and 18-135WR. Now, I'm not sure I want to buy anything else Pentax anymore. It is smoke and mirrors with the care at Ricoh Imaging and Precision Camera repair..

I might just use what gear I have and ride it out until I can warrant the FF cost and look elsewhere.. this brand doesn't have it's act together in the USA. And, maybe by the time I'm ready for FF, it will? Heres to hoping..
11-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter

Still nothing.. and obviously nothing tomorrow and likely not on friday. Aggravating.
Ditto. And am actually considering going in to work (my shipping address) on Friday just in case my beloved camera might be returned to me despite the conflicting communication received from Precision Camera Repair.

If I do not have my K-3 back in hand before I leave for winter break I would like to involve Ricoh/Pentax customer service. Does anyone have any email addresses they know to be actual and valid?

---------- Post added Nov 25th, 2015 at 05:49 PM ----------

I might just use what gear I have and ride it out until I can warrant the FF cost and look elsewhere.. this brand doesn't have it's act together in the USA. And, maybe by the time I'm ready for FF, it will? Heres to hoping..
Here's to hoping! I would love to have a full frame Pentax DSLR with which to utilize the full capacity of my vintage lenses. Let alone see my K-3 returned from warranty service before the winter holidays. Here's to hoping a good Black Friday deal might afford me a replacement camera.

Come to think of it, what stake does Ricoh/Pentax have in ensuring timely and accurate warranty repairs when the lack thereof might just be their best driving force for new sales?

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 11-28-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: moderation
11-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #187
mee
Site Supporter

Surprisingly, Precision contacted me this morning via email and voicemail informing me I need to pay the 206.50 estimate before they'll begin work. So, it seems, they have looked it over and think they can repair it for that base rate..

When I questioned them as to if it has just sat for the past 10 days there, they sidestepped and said I needed to pay before work could begin. hmmm and when trying to pay through their online system, they aren't getting the payment and want me to give them my CC info over the phone. eeep. At least they seem to be active via email today.. thats a change (for the better).

So that is where it stands now..
12-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #188
mee
Site Supporter

Called Precision today (long distance -- their only number), pressed 8 in the menu to get directed to payments and authorizations, spoke with a friendly, polite lady who took my tag number, confirmed my CC info, payment amount, and told me it would be 5-8 days until ready. done. I see now it is in 'repair' status on their site.

So the hassle of being delayed for a week and then having to call long distance was at least somewhat relieved by the smooth and pleasant experience on the phone. Heres to hoping the repair and shipping goes as smoothly.

12-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter

Save for the fact that I haven't got my camera back, I have had nothing but pleasant conversation/email with the customer service representatives at Precision.
12-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I recently sent my K3 body to Precision after having dropped it on the floor. Came back in reasonable amount of time. Everything fixed appropriately. While not at the same level of service as NPS (of which I am a member) I found their repair and service acceptable.

YMMV

Michael
Who is NPS

Thx
Mike
12-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Who is NPS

Thx
Mike
I'm guessing Nikon Professional Services
12-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #192
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's what amazon did for me. They sent me a new product and I sent back the faulty one.
Amazon is a retailer though so that is different.
For new gear, return to seller is the usual remedy and is offered by all reputable dealers. Most will allow return of defective gear up to about a month post purchase.

Steve
12-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #193
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Thanks! Happy for you! Yes, I have seen that occurrence mentioned in other people's stories too. Holding out hope.
Their status page sucks. IMHO, they should take it down until they can make it lock-step with their internal work-flow system.

Steve
12-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #194
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Who is NPS
I'm guessing Nikon Professional Services
And you would be correct! Michael shoots several brands, Nikon included.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-01-2015 at 06:36 PM.
12-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #195
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For new gear, return to seller is the usual remedy and is offered by all reputable dealers. Most will allow return of defective gear up to about a month post purchase.
Yes, generally speaking, one has 30 days to return. And I'd have no problems swapping lenses or bodies that were defective. However, this was a different situation of using warranty/repair services.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Their status page sucks. IMHO, they should take it down until they can make it lock-step with their internal work-flow system.
It isn't just the status page, which I agree does need help, but the whole process.

In email, Precision customer support said to write my info, lens info, and issue with lens, bind that paper to the lens, wrap the lens and ship it to them. Only then they would look at the lens and give me an estimate and the whole process would take 5-7 business days turn around.

So I did as they requested. They got the lens on a Monday, logged it that Tuesday, then it sat for a week until I emailed them requesting an update. ONLY THEN did they respond with me needing to provide my CC info and agree to the generic estimate (from their website). Yet, when I went to the website to pay, the order would not go through. I would get the submission receipt (order complete). Yet when I checked my CC info, nothing was being charged and Precision was claiming there was an issue with my transaction (??). CC services said they couldnt see anything from Precision so it looked like the issue was on Precision's end. I did that 4 times to no avail before I broke down and called Precision long distance.

Surprisingly, to me, they already knew my CC number (so the order submission WAS getting there) and just confirmed the final 4 digits and the CVC. That whole process is convoluted. Because, it appears, it would have never completed had I not both emailed them to get the ball rerolling and then called to get the CC situation cleared.

But the fact that it is a long distance number means I'm eating even more money to handle something that should have been handled through their online system. I was sooo happy though that the CS rep I got today was really nice and that part of the process went smoothly (probably a 5 min phone call tops).

I think Ricoh North America must have cut expenses reallllllyy lean and went with Precision to save a buck. Contract won at the lowest bid makes for lackluster work! Which is probably why they put low effort into their website. Only a guess.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to my lens, should I get it back in a week.