Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I got the 5-7 days thing too. Several times. Over the phone, and in multiple emails. It's pretty much boiler plate. THey really should just add it to the email signature. I was patient for four weeks, and then asked for an update. That was November 16th. November 18th I was told that the repair department had told the customer service rep that my camera would be done with repairs and return shipped to me on November 20th. That did not happen. I am now directing my communication to Ricoh USA via their webpage. I really no longer have hope that I will see my camera again before the winter holidays.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 12-02-2015 at 08:05 AM.
12-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #197
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Yeah, I got the 5-7 days thing too. Several times. Over the phone, and in multiple emails. It's pretty much boiler plate. THey really should just add it to the email signature. I was patient for four weeks, and then asked for an update. That was November 16th. November 18th I was told that the repair department had told the customer service rep that my camera would be done with repairs and return shipped to me on November 20th. That did not happen. I am now directing my communication to Ricoh USA via their webpage. I really no longer have hope that I will see my camera again before the winter holidays.
Does yours have a stop sign icon showing when you check the status?

Mine does now and says:

"Repair is on hold, waiting for parts.
Parts Ordered"

so it begins.. hehe

That said, I'm somewhat happy to see this, because this means they are actually doing SOMETHING to the lens.. as opposed to seemingly numerous people getting their lenses back unrepaired yet charged. So there is something pleasant there in this situation..
12-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #198
Veteran Member

I got you all beat: I sent my K-3 in for repair this past summer. It came back partially repaired a few weeks later. I didn't have time to fully evaluate/document what was still wrong the camera for a month at which time I resent it back to Precision in late October. It was recorded online as being "in repair" on Nov 2. Here it is Dec 2 and I called to inquire the status and the admin stressed that she would get them to put it on the fast track. So either they are overwhelmed with repairs or dysfunctional. I suspect the latter. Glad I picked up a K-3II in the interim. Perhaps it is by design...

Michael
12-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #199
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I got you all beat: I sent my K-3 in for repair this past summer. It came back partially repaired a few weeks later. I didn't have time to fully evaluate/document what was still wrong the camera for a month at which time I resent it back to Precision in late October. It was recorded online as being "in repair" on Nov 2. Here it is Dec 2 and I called to inquire the status and the admin stressed that she would get them to put it on the fast track. So either they are overwhelmed with repairs or dysfunctional. I suspect the latter. Glad I picked up a K-3II in the interim. Perhaps it is by design...
I suspect the latter too haha but you bring up an interesting thought (even if perhaps untrue) of repair dragging their heels hoping you buy another camera and/or forget about the one in repair. I don't think so though as that could also backfire in getting someone to switch systems...

There was the one report a couple of months ago, in the Pentax section of DPR forums, of the guy who got his K-3 back from Precision and it already had someone's name in it.. so it looks like they used someone elses broken k-3 as parts for a different K-3 repair. I suspect that is at least partially the 'fast track' there haha

12-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does yours have a stop sign icon showing when you check the status?

Mine does now and says:

"Repair is on hold, waiting for parts.
Parts Ordered"

so it begins.. hehe

That said, I'm somewhat happy to see this, because this means they are actually doing SOMETHING to the lens.. as opposed to seemingly numerous people getting their lenses back unrepaired yet charged. So there is something pleasant there in this situation..
Nope.
Attached Images

12-07-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #201
mee
Pentaxian

What do you know.. I got an email and apparently they also tried to call to let me know my lens is ready and shipping now:

QuoteQuote:
The repair of your Pentax lens has been completed? This will be shipping today and was thoroughly checked out by the Pro department.

Thank you,
The question mark at the end of a statement isn't building confidence in their repair though..

I also see the website graphic has a UPS tracking number posted. Now to see what they did and if it resolved the issue..
12-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #202
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wish Precision actually checked their repairs. I sent the DFA 24-70 off to them and got it back three weeks later. Problem is that it won't focus at infinity on the wide end. It will focus at a max of 15 feet on the wide end. Odd thing is that focuses normally between 45 and 70mm. Anyway, this is the second lens that they have sent back to me unable to focus at infinity. Last time it only took them three or four days to adjust the lens correctly, but it just seems as though they should do that before they send it back. Now I'm stuck paying shipping and insurance to send the lens back to them.
12-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Be sure to contact Ricoh/Pentax!! They may pay for shipping back for repair. (they paid for all three times I sent mine back)

If they get enough complaints and have to keep paying for ship backs, they might actually fix the problem! (That being Precision not doing their jobs!!)

Last edited by amoringello; 12-08-2015 at 02:56 PM.
12-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wish Precision actually checked their repairs. I sent the DFA 24-70 off to them and got it back three weeks later. Problem is that it won't focus at infinity on the wide end. It will focus at a max of 15 feet on the wide end. Odd thing is that focuses normally between 45 and 70mm. Anyway, this is the second lens that they have sent back to me unable to focus at infinity. Last time it only took them three or four days to adjust the lens correctly, but it just seems as though they should do that before they send it back. Now I'm stuck paying shipping and insurance to send the lens back to them.
Wait... they want YOU to pay for shipping a lens that they repaired so badly it won't focus? Escalate.
12-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #205
Veteran Member

yeah, my first experience with Precision was a 9 out of 10 (less than two weeks turnaround and was very happy). However, my current experience with Precision is a 3 out of 10. They had my K-3 for precisely a month (November 2 to December 2) at which time I called them to inquire as to the status. I was told to wait while on hold and a few minutes later I was told that they would now "expedite it". I told them instead that I would prefer that that they fixed it properly rather than quickly and left it with that. A week later, instead of getting the camera back, I got the following email:

Hello,
I am emailing to update you on the status of your repair.
I am requesting an updated status from repair, and working with the Ricoh liaison for an answer.
I will keep checking on this, and keep you updated when I get a response.

So the evidence is pretty clear that they are most likely not able to handle the current pipeline and that certain kinds of unusual repairs (like mine) take a lot more time than "ordinary" repairs. IMHO the price of the camera body is such that if you are a Pro, it behooves you to purchase a 2nd body "just in case". While I was originally thinking of selling my spare K-3 (i.e. the one in repair) I'm now thinking that it makes sense to keep it as a "backup" to my K-3II.

Welcome to the commoditization of photography.

Michael
12-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #206
mee
Pentaxian

Was it the same K-3 returned? I mean, did you check the serial to confirm?
12-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Was it the same K-3 returned? I mean, did you check the serial to confirm?
not sure if you are responding to my post or not.

My K-3 has been repaired twice: once for runaway shutter (under warranty), and the more-recent 2nd time when I dropped the camera with a 300mm f/4.5 attached to it (not under warranty). It is the 2nd repair that is currently perplexing Precision.

Michael
12-08-2015, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #208
Loyal Site Supporter

I received this reply from Ricoh:

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

Precision Camera is most likely waiting on a part needed to make the repairs to your K-3 camera. You can confirm t his with the shop b y calling them directly at 860-272-2100.

We apologize for any inconvenience created by a Parts Hold delay in completing your repair. Our Service Center maintains an inventory and orders parts daily for stock from RICOH USA. Unfortunately, RICOH USA is not able to provide an ETA on parts ordered from the factory in Japan. Once the parts have been received, the unit will be assigned to a technician as a priority repair.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.
12-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter

Precision's website this morning indicates that my camera is out of repair!
12-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #210
mee
Pentaxian

My 16-50mm came back today. It was after dark by the time I got home today but I have tested it out on a tripod outside.. it seems a little better but so far in my tests still seems quite out of focus at infinity. I even tested on a tripod with a 2sec timer aimed at a bright commercial sign on a building some 700 feet away.

Surprisingly, in Live view, the image came out the softest?? I don't understand that just yet. In any case, Incrementing - values by 2 into the AF microadjustment starting at -10 and going to 0 showed it is actually sharper out of LV somewhere between -2 and 0. Yet it is still pretty soft. I even tried manually focusing it no better avail.

Also, the lens now squeaks in places when the sdm autofocuses. It appears from the work details they replaced the motor and some controller board (likely the one that the motor sits upon).

For giggles I kept the camera+tripod in it's location and swapped lenses with an 18-55mm DAL without contacts (full manual). After dialing in 50mm as close as I could get, I can say (at infinity) the DAL kit lens is still SHARPER than my 16-50mm atm even stopped down to 5.6

Looking forward to daylight to try it out more.. but initial tests appear to show it is going back to Precision.

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 07:39 PM ----------

I should also point out my lens was in 'parts ordered' for only a day or two at the most. How do they get parts ordered and shipped in only 2 days tops? I'm wondering if the squeak is due to them using an old SDM they had laying around. SDM shouldn't squeak. Nor was my issue with the SDM in the first place now that I think about it. As it wouldn't get into infinity focus even when manually focused.

Yes.. definitely going back to Precision.

Last edited by mee; 12-09-2015 at 06:27 PM.