Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 04:04 AM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
If they did not forward you to Joe Virgil, contact him: Joe.Virgil@us.ricoh-imaging.com
He needs to hear both about precision and Ricoh's handling of these sorts of issues.

I have had mostly good luck with Ricoh personnel, but like any other corporation some people simply don't give a darn and need some pushing to actually do their jobs.
Joe Virgil does not always have great bedside manner -- he actually comes off sometimes as sounding like he really does not give a damn either, i.e. he is not one to chit-chat about the issue -- but he has gotten the job done, if it takes a bit of iterating just how bad your experience is.
My wife did finally get through to Precision and they just told her to send it back -- no offers to pay for shipping. However someone from Ricoh called her and told her they would get her a shipping label, so she feels better about it. Just overall, it is frustrating when Precision fixes stuff partially and sends it back. In the end, it reflects poorly on Ricoh, as they are the ones who have contracted with Precision to take care of their warranty work. I really had no issue with the turn around time -- it was about three weeks -- just fix it right the first time and test it before you send it back. Both lenses I had issues with were obvious within a few photos that there was something wrong.

12-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #227
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You'd be surprised how little the people at the top of the tree know about what's going on at the bottom of the tree.

It's true of every large enterprise and I can say for a fact it is true of R.I.NA.
hehe yeah. I thought I wrote it (must have just thought it), but I believe Ricoh lives in some sort of insulated bubble.
They have told me directly that they really have not heard many complaints about Precision.

Now, they could also be outright lying, of course. I do not believe they would have replaced my (out of warranty) lens if they were.
I believe they are simply just a part of big corporation who are rather insulated from what is really going on here.

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 06:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife did finally get through to Precision and they just told her to send it back -- no offers to pay for shipping. However someone from Ricoh called her and told her they would get her a shipping label, so she feels better about it. Just overall, it is frustrating when Precision fixes stuff partially and sends it back. In the end, it reflects poorly on Ricoh, as they are the ones who have contracted with Precision to take care of their warranty work. I really had no issue with the turn around time -- it was about three weeks -- just fix it right the first time and test it before you send it back. Both lenses I had issues with were obvious within a few photos that there was something wrong.
Just keep following up with Ricoh if the repair is not done correctly. Hopefully it will be.
I do not agree with their three attempt policy, but they have their agreements with companies and have to follow them.
It sucks to jump through the corporate hoops, but so far Ricoh has stood behind their products.

I am hopeful (naively?) that when Ricoh gets enough time and money involved with multiple returns that they will do something more substantial.
12-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter

Received my camera back from Precision today.
Everything looks good.
The flash sync issue for which it went in for repair appears resolved.
The repair ticket lists a complete repair and return to factory specs.
The shutter count info from the last photo I took was:

Camera PENTAX K-3
Manufacture Date 2013:11:13
Shutter Count 5,438

The shutter count info from my returned camera is:

Camera PENTAX K-3
Manufacture Date 2015:06:11
Shutter Count 30

The serial number is still the same though.
12-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #229
mee
Site Supporter

Good deal!

Interesting that the shutter count presumably restarted at 0 though. Did they replace the shutter mechanism?

In any case, now you're back in business.

12-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #230
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I also have Canon gear. When that stuff goes bad and it's under warranty, they send me a prepaid shipping label and it takes two weeks, tops.
Cool! When I had to send my G-series Canon in for warranty repair, I had to pay the shipping. That was a few years ago. I am impressed that they send a call tag now.

Steve
12-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #231
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Of course, Nikon Pro bodies sell for a lot more than Pentax bodies. So in some ways we probably can't have it both ways: pro-quality gear at consumer prices but expect pro-quality support. It's a conundrum for sure.
You touched on a core aspect of NPS...you have to meet certain criteria to get it. IIRC, don't you have to be a full-time pro and own at least two pro-level bodies and two higher-level lenses? (...or something like that...)

Steve
12-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #232
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The fact that Ricoh Imaging is replacing your camera body instead of Precision repairing it, MJS, really indicates how out of alignment the repair services are at the moment in the US.
I think that means that Precision has access to a stock of lightly used, certified K-3 bodies. I don't think MJS said he is getting it for free.

Steve
12-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #233
Site Supporter

Now I'm expecting them to come back and say 'ok send it back with the body' so they can break the body now too. haha.
That would not surprise me in the least. From your ongoing descriptions of your problems, I wonder if the controller for communicating instructions to the lens is flaky.

Steve

12-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter

Good deal!

Interesting that the shutter count presumably restarted at 0 though. Did they replace the shutter mechanism?

In any case, now you're back in business.
I have to assume the shutter mechanism was replaced, as I have been previously informed that the count data cannot be reset.

The repair ticket also included "auto focus test, check, recalibration and alignment," as well as a complete cleaning including the optical system.

I assume that these used those first few shutter actuations.

Anyway, yes: good to go!

I hope everybody's service stories come to happy conclusions!
12-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #235
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I am hopeful (naively?) that when Ricoh gets enough time and money involved with multiple returns that they will do something more substantial.
Unfortunately, unless you are prepared to set up your own in-house repair center I don't think there are many other options for large-scale contract camera repair in North America.

I suspect this has been a problem for a long time - decades, really.
12-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Unfortunately, unless you are prepared to set up your own in-house repair center I don't think there are many other options for large-scale contract camera repair in North America.

I suspect this has been a problem for a long time - decades, really.
My experience was significantly better with CRIS than with Precision, particularly with regard to communication. Precision is all but unreachable, the staff doesn't know what is going on when you do get through. I wouldn't be excited about a switch of repair centers -- last time, it was apparently a disaster, with CRIS just boxing up all the gear they were in process with and just shipping it out to Precision, as-is, for them to work on.

Oh well, I'm just a little disgruntled right now. I'm sure I'll get over it, but I sure hope I don't have to get any more gear repaired any time soon.
12-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think that means that Precision has access to a stock of lightly used, certified K-3 bodies. I don't think MJS said he is getting it for free.
Indeed. My replacement K-3 arrived today via UPS. Here is the note they sent along with it:
ATTENTION: Due to the replacement of certain parts on your unit, it now has a new serial number. You should note this change for future reference. Old serial number is 485xxxx. New serial number is 620xxx.
Unit appears to be new/unused. I'll test it out later. To summarize: from my three different repair experiences over two years it appears that Precision is more or less doing their job.

Michael
12-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #238
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would not surprise me in the least. From your ongoing descriptions of your problems, I wonder if the controller for communicating instructions to the lens is flaky.

It behaves this way on 2 different Pentax bodies. Neither my 50-135mm nor my 18-135mm @ 50mm in the same setup (tripod position, camera settings) behave this way with either body. So it seems to be an issue with this lens still.

Just reached 3 business days now waiting for a response from Precision. I even have Pentax CS poking them.. so far silence.

Update: On Business Day 4 they finally got around to contacting me (via phone??) to say I need to call them back to get a shipping label. Why do I need to phone them to get a shipping label that is going to arrive via email I thought?? In any case, will be doing that asap. And the saga continues...

Last edited by mee; 12-15-2015 at 04:15 PM.
12-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #239
mee
Site Supporter

Ok so the following day they had a CS manager call me in the morning while I was in the shower haha but they left a voicemail message and an email too with the shipping label. So they were true to their word on that aspect (of getting me a shipping label).

The manager says he will be keeping me informed of the repair and will have the lead Pentax repair technician on the job and will confirm before shipping back to me that the issues are resolved. Sounds good on paper!

So I reboxed the lens with printed info and details bound to the lens.. and handed it off to a UPS clerk this afternoon. I'm really really really hoping they fix it this time. I just want to use my lens.
12-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #240
Forum Member

To date I have owned Pentax Optio, point and shoot, 2 MZ50 35 mm film bodies, Ist D, K10 and still have a k20 and K3 in my bag. I can`t add much to this thread because I`ve never had one problem with any of them.
Simmo (the happy Pentaxian)

Last edited by baldrick; 12-21-2015 at 08:13 PM.