Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #241
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Precision may be trying harder. They got my lens back and fixed it in a day, then gave my wife a personal call to say that it was shipping.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-19-2015 at 06:43 AM.
12-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Precision may be trying harder. They got my lens back and fixed it in a day, then gave my wife a personal call to say that it was shipping.
I hope your are right. I sent my AF540fgzII in for the second time last Monday, they had it by Wednesday and it was repaired and in shipping by Thursday. It is coming back UPS so it is not scheduled to be here until the 24th. The first time they had it (last July) they returned it in the same condition as I sent it although they claimed to have completely refurbished it. I emailed them that they had not done the repair but received no response. I have other flashes now so I decided to see if they would actually repair it this time. They certainly have a fast in house turn around time.
12-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #243
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I hope your are right. I sent my AF540fgzII in for the second time last Monday, they had it by Wednesday and it was repaired and in shipping by Thursday. It is coming back UPS so it is not scheduled to be here until the 24th. The first time they had it (last July) they returned it in the same condition as I sent it although they claimed to have completely refurbished it. I emailed them that they had not done the repair but received no response. I have other flashes now so I decided to see if they would actually repair it this time. They certainly have a fast in house turn around time.
Did you report the initial non-repair to Ricoh Imaging? If not, it would be great if you did just so they see what issues we have had with their choice in a repair facility.

My lens arrived back to Precision and I received an email this morning from the Precision CS manager working my issue giving me a new Tag ID and thanking me for all the detailed info and photos in testing the lens. So they are officially on the case and seem to be a bit more open with communication than there were just a few weeks ago. I wonder if Ricoh has prodded them into service?

I was hoping to have been able to use this lens during Christmas but it is not looking so hot atm. At this point, I'm hoping they take their sweet time and actually repair what needs to be repaired properly... be it January February or March I get it back.
12-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
.... So they are officially on the case and seem to be a bit more open with communication than there were just a few weeks ago. I wonder if Ricoh has prodded them into service?
Oh, that would make my day. It would be wonderful if Ricoh had an eye-opening experience wth people contacting them for failed repair services and they jumped all over Precision.
I have several minor repair, alignments to have done. But I am so very, very afraid of what Precision might do to them.
I'm trying to decide which guinea-pig piece of equipment I can sacrifice and not need for a few months, should they screw it up.

12-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #245
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Oh, that would make my day. It would be wonderful if Ricoh had an eye-opening experience wth people contacting them for failed repair services and they jumped all over Precision.
I have several minor repair, alignments to have done. But I am so very, very afraid of what Precision might do to them.
I'm trying to decide which guinea-pig piece of equipment I can sacrifice and not need for a few months, should they screw it up.
Indeed I can understand you with these thoughts.

That is actually why I gave them the 16-50 to repair first -- it was the cheaper of the two and thus I wanted to see how well they performed before handing them my precious (and more costly) 50-135.
12-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #246
mee
Pentaxian

Finally received an update on my lens.. had voicemail for me this afternoon from the CS manager at Precision saying they are continuing to hold my lens to ensure it is absolutely repaired.. sure hope it is. There was no ETA provided of when they will be completed.

They've had the lens for this 2nd round of repair work since the 18th of December...
12-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally received an update on my lens.. had voicemail for me this afternoon from the CS manager at Precision saying they are continuing to hold my lens to ensure it is absolutely repaired.. sure hope it is. There was no ETA provided of when they will be completed.

They've had the lens for this 2nd round of repair work since the 18th of December...
This is promising.
12-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #248
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This is promising.
I should hope so.. as from checking the status online this afternoon I see it has apparently now been already shipped. I figured, from the phone call, that they would be keeping it for much longer than they did. At least longer than 24 hours after the call... Perhaps I will see the lens arrive on Monday?

Update: Nope. While Precision updated their website for my tag number to reflect my lens had shipped on the 31st, they didn't actually get it out of the door until this evening jan 4th! haha so basically, it sat boxed with a ups tracking number at the Precision dropoff/receiving point since the 31st but they made it looks like they had it out of their hands on the 31st to make themselves look sweet.

Last edited by mee; 01-04-2016 at 04:43 PM.
01-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #249
mee
Pentaxian

Got lens back from round 2 of repairs.. same poor behavior at infinity - out of focus even though I get confirmation (beep) that I'm locked on focus. I even reset the camera (all my pretty settings GONE) just to see if it was me. But no.. it wasn't me. They seem to not have the ability to fix infinity focus on lenses...

Further, to check, I then popped on my 18-135 @ 50mm and got sharp images both with PDAF and CDAF.

So now I await their response to my email... CC'd ricoh on it though with sample shots (wont share here for privacy reasons). I hope they finally work together and resolve the issues.. what a saga.
01-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #250
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got lens back from round 2 of repairs.. same poor behavior at infinity - out of focus even though I get confirmation (beep) that I'm locked on focus. I even reset the camera (all my pretty settings GONE) just to see if it was me. But no.. it wasn't me. They seem to not have the ability to fix infinity focus on lenses...

Further, to check, I then popped on my 18-135 @ 50mm and got sharp images both with PDAF and CDAF.

So now I await their response to my email... CC'd ricoh on it though with sample shots (wont share here for privacy reasons). I hope they finally work together and resolve the issues.. what a saga.
At this point, I suspect that the best you can expect is a refund. Refund or no, you might also consider letting someone (fellow forum member?) with lens testing experience evaluate the optical and AF performance.

Steve
01-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #251
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At this point, I suspect that the best you can expect is a refund. Refund or no, you might also consider letting someone (fellow forum member?) with lens testing experience evaluate the optical and AF performance.

Perhaps so, but really, why can't they just fix it?

My guess is they are using some kind of software that is telling them the lens is within some range of acceptable focus and they aren't actually taking the lens outside and shooting with it at long distance. The issues would become obvious if they did that.

I mean, it is actually WORSE now than it was when I got it back after the first trip there. The LV focusing is now way way way off.. as in.. can't read text on giant signage off. Not even close.. and I tried it at f/2.8 f/4 and then f/5.6 with no noticeable difference.

Interestingly the lens is veryyy sharp at distances closer than infinity. It would be a pretty amazing lens if they could just fix infinity focus.

Depending on what Precision comes back with in their response, I'm tempted to rent another 16-50mm and run it through the same tests. But I don't really want to spend another 60+ dollars and long series of drives just to prove my point to them..

I'm not willing to send to another forum goer.. too many things could go wrong and if any of those things went wrong, it would be at my expense with no guarantee they could do any better. If Precision can't fix it (which blows my mind if they can't - they are THE Pentax authorized repair shop) then I'll probably just sell it at a loss with the issues documented and move on (never buying another Pentax-made lens so long as Precision is the only shop in town).
01-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Original Poster
.... So now I await their response to my email... CC'd ricoh on it though with sample shots (wont share here for privacy reasons). I hope they finally work together and resolve the issues.. what a saga.
Did you CC Joe Virgil?
If you have not been in contact with him yet, be sure to call Ricoh Tech Support (I can never remember the number, but Google finds it).
They will get you in touch too Joe Virgil who handles these things.

I would not settle for email to Ricoh, I would call and express directly the issues you've been having with Precision.
It is clear they are not capable of fixing Pentax equipment.
01-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #253
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Did you CC Joe Virgil?
If you have not been in contact with him yet, be sure to call Ricoh Tech Support (I can never remember the number, but Google finds it).
They will get you in touch too Joe Virgil who handles these things.

I would not settle for email to Ricoh, I would call and express directly the issues you've been having with Precision.
It is clear they are not capable of fixing Pentax equipment.
No, but very early on (early November I think) he left a voicemail on my answering machine.. I didn't know who he was at the time. doh.

Then the director of operations for NA wanted to speak with me.. but we could never find time.. doh.

Instead I have the social media coordinator who has been following my saga and has been in contact with them up the chain... and am waiting to see what Precision comes back with this next time before pushing it further with Pentax/Ricoh..

But yeah.. this blows my mind.. 2 months now and 2 trips to repair.. the latest time supposedly with the lead tech for Pentax equipment 'completely rebuilding lens' -- yet it behaves at or worse than it did when I first sent it in.

I'm nearing here..

haha!
01-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #254
Site Supporter

We had sent our K3 in for a couple of freeze ups. We had purchased a two year extended warranty on it (it's a little over two years old now). Anyway, my wife discovered that Precision had charged our credit card 210 dollars for the k3 repair -- they had the credit card information due to the fact that they were repairing the 24-70 at the same time. When she called them yesterday, they told her that the warranty was only two years. She told them that no, it was three years total (one year regular warrant, two years extended), as it says clearly on all the papers we sent with the camera. The person she was talking to told her then that they shred all of those papers when they send the lens back and she would have to resubmit them and they would "look into it."

Very frustrating situation and my wife is pretty upset with the lousy service they gave us.
01-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #255
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ricoh should be paying for your shipping to get your equipment sent back to Precision to be fixed properly.
Honestly, you (and a lot of us) should be getting it fixed properly the FIRST time.

Even if it is not in warranty there is some expectation of reliability and ability for the repair service to make it work.
If the item is not repairable, the repair center has a responsibility to let you know that you are simply SOL.

They are stating that it is repairable, that it was repaired, and that it should be functioning within specs.
At that point is it Precision and Ricoh's responsibility to see that fraud is not being committed against you as a customer.

I have no remorse in calling what Precision is doing, "fraud" at this point.
I am sure Ricoh will make things right -- even if it takes a bit of time for them to go through their procedures.