Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #256
mee
Site Supporter

Yes, when I sent the 16-50 back, Precision paid for shipping (they emailed me a UPS label). Further, to even begin initial work, they forced me to call them and verbally authorize payment to them. They didn't ask for that on the second attempt at repair (and the repair ticket says total of $0.00 charged).

Very fishy that they charged you without authorization! I hope you get that sorted quickly!

01-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three billing error is just a clear indication that they aren't very organized. It dovetails with experiences like mine where an item sent for repair is in limbo for too long and a call wakes up the process ( misplaced camera, said they didn't get it, usps tracking to the rescue ). They did get better at keeping up with equipment, so chances are that they will figure out how to handle a warranty repair plus a previous non-warranty one in their system without screwing up the billing.

But the repairs need to be done accurately.
01-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #258
mee
Site Supporter

Someone from their 'Pro service team' just contacted me with questions and a request for example photos. Why the manager I was working with didn't just send the email chain, I don't know, but I forwarded it to the pro services person with a synopsis and the sample photos. They (pro services person) said once they get this data they will be better able to determine where to go from here...

Last edited by mee; 01-11-2016 at 03:52 PM.
01-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Someone from their 'Pro service team' just contacted me with questions and a request for example photos. Why the manager I was working with didn't just send the email chain, I don't know, but I forwarded it to the pro services person with a synopsis and the sample photos. They (pro services person) said once they get this data they will be better able to determine where to go from here...
Yeah, Precision had someone form their "Pro" division contact me as well.
She kindly explained how this is a service not available to most people, only to higher end pro photographers and is an expensive service.
She was a pro photographer outside her job managing the Pro division at Precision and understood how difficult it is not having your equipment... (it keeps getting better)
Anyway, my lens would come directly to her and she would over see the person working on it to make sure it was fixed properly.
Wow, that sounded great!

I got it back in exactly the same shape it was in the prior three time they "fixed" it.
Luckily this was the third re-re-re-repair, and Ricoh took over from there. (i.e. they sent me a brand new lens)

I don't mean to drown your hopes, but be prepared. I think Precision is full of BS.
Anyway, it's better to expect failure and be pleasantly surprised when it is done correctly, right???

Good luck. I honestly hope they do hold up to a "pro" level of service this time for you.

01-11-2016, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #260
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a thought... Pentax could sell parts to - wait for it - anyone who wanted them. Then many of us could repair this ourselves. The more complex repairs would need help from pros.
01-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #261
mee
Site Supporter

Ok the pro services rep contacted me again to let me know they had spoken with ricoh on how to handle this situation.. so now they want me to send in my camera body with the lens so they can look at it again. round 3!

But I'm a little leery about that.. considering they've already had my lens twice and haven't fixed it.. actually, I think it is a little WORSE than it was originally at infinity. going backwards..

But anyways, they emailed me a UPS label.. actually they accidentally emailed me 2 UPS labels then cancelled one but didn't mention that in their explanation haha. I will just look at the tracking numbers an match which one is canceled and avoid it.

sooo.. I will box it up and let them doink with it some more..

Regardless of what happens going beyond this.. I am REALLY hoping the rumor that Precision's contract is up mid year is true and Ricoh just brings it in house. I think they'd do a MUCH better job..

Last edited by mee; 01-14-2016 at 07:55 AM.
01-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter

K3ll Under Warranty

My hdmi does not work on my K3ll. I've had it for @ 5 months. I also have a 2 yr extended warranty on it as well. I know Precision is the only repair center so I went to there site. All I see is that they want $306 to fix it. Am I missing something?
01-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #263
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
My hdmi does not work on my K3ll. I've had it for @ 5 months. I also have a 2 yr extended warranty on it as well. I know Precision is the only repair center so I went to there site. All I see is that they want $306 to fix it. Am I missing something?
The quoted price is the out of warranty cost. IF you are still under warranty, it shouldn't cost you anything beyond the fee to ship it there and back.

This is what info I got in email:

QuoteQuote:
Your request for service has been received. To avoid any delay please be sure you have checked the following items.

• Please wrap the receipt page around your product with an elastic band
  • For units under a manufacturer's warranty, you MUST include a copy of the original proof of purchase receipt to validate your warranty claim
  • Verify that all information supplied below is accurate and complete
  • Only include accessories that pertain to the problem you are experiencing
Shipping Information:
U.S. Customers ship your repair to: PCVR, 7 Anngina Drive, Enfield, CT 06082
Canadian Customers: Please refer to page 2 of your receipt for shipping instructions.

---------- Post added 01-14-16 at 08:23 PM ----------

However, if you have any specific questions, email or call them! They seem to be a bit more responsive on that front than they have in the past..

01-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter

The quoted price is the out of warranty cost. IF you are still under warranty, it shouldn't cost you anything beyond the fee to ship it there and back.

This is what info I got in email:

[/SIZE][/FONT]

---------- Post added 01-14-16 at 08:23 PM ----------

However, if you have any specific questions, email or call them! They seem to be a bit more responsive on that front than they have in the past..
Thanks.
01-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #265
Site Supporter

What are some US places to get a out of warranty K-50 repaired at? Do not want to deal with Precision.
01-19-2016, 04:04 AM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Three billing error is just a clear indication that they aren't very organized. It dovetails with experiences like mine where an item sent for repair is in limbo for too long and a call wakes up the process ( misplaced camera, said they didn't get it, usps tracking to the rescue ). They did get better at keeping up with equipment, so chances are that they will figure out how to handle a warranty repair plus a previous non-warranty one in their system without screwing up the billing.

But the repairs need to be done accurately.
They ended up refunding the money. I hate to be so negative about a company, but they really have very poor communication with the customers. The rep told my wife that she shouldn't have put her credit card number down if it was a warranty repair. Well, the problem was that she had sent in a couple of other items at the same time that weren't covered under warranty and she had to pay for those.

Oh well, here's hoping we don't have to get any gear serviced for a long time to come.
01-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
What are some US places to get a out of warranty K-50 repaired at? Do not want to deal with Precision.
Try KEH, they seem to be able to get some parts. Or Advance Camera in Oregon - they seem to still be an authorized service center even though not listed on the Ricoh website. If you search my posts I've posted the last listing of authorized centers before it was taken off the Ricoh site. Some of the others may still be authorized centers too. All it takes is someone to use the contact info and ask. Why Ricoh doesn't list Advance Camera and possibly others is beyond me. Be aware that some repairs can only be done by Precision as these centers may not have the test/diagnostic/calibration equipment.

I recommend you call rather than using the email contact - some of the companies do not respond to email.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-19-2016 at 04:31 AM.
01-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #268
mee
Site Supporter

So they sent me an overnight UPS label, my K-5II and 16-50mm arrived there on the morning of the 15th as indicated by UPS tracking. Precision logged the K-5II into their repair system on the 18th. So far, I've received no word from them about the repair, or that they even have it. I only discovered this by punching in my phone number into their repair status page and it showed me the ticket number. It appears the 'pro' services division there lacks in communication too.

I really hope they don't break the camera body...

and all this (on trip #3) just to fix infinity focus on a lens.

Last edited by mee; 01-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
01-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #269
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Yeah, Precision had someone form their "Pro" division contact me as well.
She kindly explained how this is a service not available to most people, only to higher end pro photographers and is an expensive service.
She was a pro photographer outside her job managing the Pro division at Precision and understood how difficult it is not having your equipment... (it keeps getting better)
Anyway, my lens would come directly to her and she would over see the person working on it to make sure it was fixed properly.
Wow, that sounded great!

I got it back in exactly the same shape it was in the prior three time they "fixed" it.
Luckily this was the third re-re-re-repair, and Ricoh took over from there. (i.e. they sent me a brand new lens)

I don't mean to drown your hopes, but be prepared. I think Precision is full of BS.
Anyway, it's better to expect failure and be pleasantly surprised when it is done correctly, right???

Good luck. I honestly hope they do hold up to a "pro" level of service this time for you.
This appears to be my case as well.

I just received an email from the pro services rep saying that Precision is going to order me a new lens and it should arrive next week. While that technically satisfies my situation (provided the lens is fully functioning and they didn't damage my K-5 II), it gives me very very very little comfort in Precision's ability to repair lenses.

Oh well.. they could have just told me to take a hike and make me fight an uphill battle.. so I guess kudos for them not taking that approach...
01-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #270
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This appears to be my case as well.

I just received an email from the pro services rep saying that Precision is going to order me a new lens and it should arrive next week. While that technically satisfies my situation (provided the lens is fully functioning and they didn't damage my K-5 II), it gives me very very very little comfort in Precision's ability to repair lenses.

Oh well.. they could have just told me to take a hike and make me fight an uphill battle.. so I guess kudos for them not taking that approach...
Wow, well it saves you having to call Ricoh again, have you send it out there for them to look at, and then have them say "yep, it's still broke", and then order a new lens from over-seas.
But really, why could the repair tech not realize the lens was not repairable the first or second time?(Assuming it was actually beyond repair, and not just the more likely fact that they don't know what the hell they're doing.)

So irritating, and definitely holding me back from getting any more Pentax gear. (yeah, it's going to be a painful spring when FF comes out. I would have been all over the first production run)