Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #316
mee
Veteran Member

For completeness, After my request and subsequent prodding of them, Precision did mail me an eyecup and on the timetable they said they had. So THAT ordeal is over. Phew!

Next is to find some time to draft a letter to Ricoh Imaging..

04-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #317

This thread seems to be dormant and, becaue of the imminence of K-1 availability and sales, I would like to kick start it.

My question is: If after laying out $1700 for a K-1 a US-based buyer encounters a technical problem (it WILL happen, Murphy's Law), is the only approved service agent this much-derided firm called Precision? If so, I am not inclined to buy.......

I would have thought that Ricoh, having put so much effort into developing what is clearly a wonderful product, would ensure that they did not lose sales because of concerns like mine. They surely MUST get a better after sales service, by whatever means.
04-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
My question is: If after laying out $1700 for a K-1 a US-based buyer encounters a technical problem (it WILL happen, Murphy's Law), is the only approved service agent this much-derided firm called Precision? If so, I am not inclined to buy ...
Yes, but a) someone claimed that their contract is due to end soon, to Ricoh may either renew it or look for a better option, and b) people with bad experience are always more likely to speak out and complain than those who received flawless service, so for everyone complaining in this thread there are probably ten people who had a good experience with Precision.
04-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And several newer threads have indicated major improvements in Precision.

04-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just take a look at their Google reviews or Yelp reviews. They get an amazing: 2.0

But we have seen some good reports lately so maybe there is hope.
04-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #321
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Pentaxian Facebook page is active lately with some sob stories about Precision.
10% failure is bad (assuming only one in ten complain). Maybe not horrible.
What is horrible is that the people complaining here are often those who have gone through several failed attempts at repair. Some have had repeated experiences. Some have had equipment destroyed by the "repair" facility.

So, Pentaxis; if your car, house, (and perhaps your visits to the doctor) had a 1 in 10 chance of complete failure every time you needed repair and that repair extended for three months being completely out of commission... and you find that acceptable, then buying a K1 should not be an issue.
04-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The Pentaxian Facebook page is active lately with some sob stories about Precision.
10% failure is bad (assuming only one in ten complain). Maybe not horrible.
What is horrible is that the people complaining here are often those who have gone through several failed attempts at repair. Some have had repeated experiences. Some have had equipment destroyed by the "repair" facility.

So, Pentaxis; if your car, house, (and perhaps your visits to the doctor) had a 1 in 10 chance of complete failure every time you needed repair and that repair extended for three months being completely out of commission... and you find that acceptable, then buying a K1 should not be an issue.
And guess who else uses them... Nikon, Canon, etc. It isn't a Pentax thing except as far as volume.

04-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #323

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Uh-huh. The failure rate of treatment for metastatic pancreatic cancer at 6 months is 43% (57% survival rate) and at 5 years is 98% (survival rate of 2%). So if that's unacceptable you wouldn't get treatment?
Pancreatic Cancer Survival Rates & Statistics | CTCA
04-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Uh-huh. The failure rate of treatment for metastatic pancreatic cancer at 6 months is 43% (57% survival rate) and at 5 years is 98% (survival rate of 2%). So if that's unacceptable you wouldn't get treatment?
Yeah ... that comparison is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? You know, with treatment being your only option whereas you can simply decide to not buy a K-1 and get a D750 or 6D instead ...
04-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #325
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And guess who else uses them... Nikon, Canon, etc.
Don't forget Sony...I believe they are exclusive with Precision in the same way as Ricoh/Pentax. Olympus and Fuji too? Of course we know that all of them suck too.

Steve
04-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #326
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And guess who else uses them... Nikon, Canon, etc. It isn't a Pentax thing except as far as volume.
Yet I've seen several Nikonians warning others not to use Precision too. Happily, for them, they have a selection of authorized repair facilities across the country. So it is as simple as using another offered on the Nikon support page.

The sad cases are us and Sony -- stuck with ONLY Precision.. single point of failure. At least we have Ricoh who seem (from my reading at least) way more supportive than Sony CS.
04-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Don't forget Sony...I believe they are exclusive with Precision in the same way as Ricoh/Pentax.
When I got directed to their voicemail box I had a choice of (I think): Nikon, Canon, Ricoh, Sony and Olympus. Not 100% sure because at that point I wasn't paying much attention any more.
06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #328
Veteran Member

Does anyone know when the contract with precision will end?
06-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #329
Pentaxian

Does anyone know when this thread will end?
06-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Does anyone know when this thread will end?
Maybe when Prescicion can obtain the confidence of that every service will be succesfully complete.