Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience with Precision is a mixed bag The first (warranty) repair went smoothly. The latest (non warranty) repair has me scratching my head: I provided the correct credit card info online, only to get a call two weeks later when the camera was out of repair that my card was "rejected" -- turns out they had the numbers wrong on the card (no way I typed them wrong!). I gave them the correct numbers on Thursday, and as of Monday the camera has still not been shipped out yet. Definitely the "B Team" this time around. Fingers crossed that when the camera eventually returns the repair is good -- we'll see.

Michael

08-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
We will most likely never know why Ricoh picked Precision, but I can remember a host of complaints about CRIS, which may have been a contributing factor. At any rate, complaining here will do little good. Instead, take time to complain directly to Ricoh and for best effect, carbon copy the complaint to Precision. That is by far a better approach to solving the issue. Additionally, since KEH has a known reputation, suggest Ricoh consider either using them exclusively or adding them to a list of approved repair facilities.

Venting here about a bad experience may make one feel better, but it's not very effective in resolving the issue. Go to the people who can effect change instead.
All of the remedies you are proposing make good sense, and could have the intended effect of improving the situation.

However, a moderator telling the participants it isn't worthwhile to vent on the forum is not good form. At the very least, a better choice of wording would have been in order.
08-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Venting here about a bad experience may make one feel better, but it's not very effective in resolving the issue. Go to the people who can effect change instead.
If your gear is under warranty, where do you send for repair? If you gear was damaged or not repaired properly by Precision, where do you send? Because Pentax chose Precision, we as users can't avoid facing the situation OP has.

OP needs advice on solving the problem caused by Precision. Many are trying to help. From my experience, once you paid Precision for repair, there's no way to get you money back, even if you dispute with CC issuer or BBB. Precision just tells them they will solve the problem. For my case, the only solution is to complain to Ricoh/Pentax and get them involved. This is what I called information sharing.

Last edited by hyyz; 08-24-2015 at 08:29 PM.
08-25-2015, 02:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
If your gear is under warranty, where do you send for repair? If you gear was damaged or not repaired properly by Precision, where do you send? Because Pentax chose Precision, we as users can't avoid facing the situation OP has.

OP needs advice on solving the problem caused by Precision. Many are trying to help. From my experience, once you paid Precision for repair, there's no way to get you money back, even if you dispute with CC issuer or BBB. Precision just tells them they will solve the problem. For my case, the only solution is to complain to Ricoh/Pentax and get them involved. This is what I called information sharing.

Pentax is also pretty clear that Precision, in their mind, is a pretty good repair center. The gist of our conversation, (YES I called Precision and I contacted Ricoh. I do not JUST vent), resulted that;
- all equipment has flaws
- all brands have flaws
- everyone has issues with repair centers, sometimes multiple times
- my situation is not unique
- Pentax/Ricoh is not unique in the issues I saw

So basically, in the end this is acceptable! (This has been Pentax's basic stance on the subject the past few times I have called about their service center's problems)

The guy at Ricoh was very defensive and it took me some time to get across that the issue was with the repair that was just returned. He seemed to be under the impression I had the problem some months after repair and found it difficult to understand what I was saying.... mainly because he was so defensive that he would not allow me to complete a single sentence without defending Precision.

He was also repetitively expressive about the repair possibly taking several weeks to months in order to have it sent back to Japan since no service center in the US can really handle certain types of repairs on Pentax equipment.

I was not very happy with the whole situation.

True that all hardware has the potential for failure. Also true that Pentax is not alone in ever receiving poor repair service.
But to try to push it off as acceptable seems a little bit indicative of how Ricoh thinks about their customers.

In the end, I did get a shipping label so I can return the lens for free (no insurance, of course).
So I sit and wait to see what will happen.

My expectations is that they will spit in my food and I will happily eat it, because I have no choice.

Last edited by amoringello; 08-25-2015 at 02:27 AM.
08-25-2015, 02:22 AM   #35

In fact it seems so with Pentax repair. I have had rotten experiences with them in the passed which I prefer to not delve into today. But I must say that Alan Marlow in the UK has an awesome service for who wants reliable and reasonably price repair
08-25-2015, 02:39 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My issues with CRIS were mostly the fact that Hoya didn't give them parts in a timely fashion. If they had parts, they usually fixed things quickly and were quick to respond to phone calls/inquiries.

Precision is problematic from a communication standpoint -- they had a lens of mine that they were fixing for five months (waiting for parts, they said). I couldn't get through to anyone there. Finally I called Ricoh/Pentax headquarters in Denver and they sent me an update in a few hours. In the end, when they sent me my DA 40 back to me, they had fixed it so that at infinity focus it would focus about two feet in front of the camera. I had to pay shipping to send it back and they fixed that issue in a couple of days. It was a pretty discouraging experience overall (this was not warranty work, but work I was paying for out of my pocket).
08-25-2015, 04:58 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was a canon shooter and have used their service centers 5 times. As soon as they received my item I got an email estimate within a day. After approving the repairs, I always got my item back within a week. These were also complex repairs (AF system repair, image stabilization repairs, etc.).

I am now shooting Sony who also use precision. My one repair under warranty I ended up getting a replacement, but it took 6 weeks. Communication was very poor and I had to make several calls just to figure out what was going on. Then they never contacted me by email (like they promised) so the camera just showed up randomly.

Since I shoot for fun it isn't that big of a deal, but it's factors like these that keep people going with canon and Nikon for professional and advanced amateur use in my opinion. While there are complaints about their service, it isn't nearly as bad. Nikon does seem to be slipping as of late though...

08-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #38

I had to use Precision once. There was absolutely no communication and I still have a problem with lens and camera. They also returned my lens without lens caps in a plastic bag.
08-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but I can remember a host of complaints about CRIS, which may have been a contributing factor
I too remember those complaints and even a few comments on this site that perhaps with the switch to precision, we might see an improvement in service. IIRC, the issues with CRIS were extremely long waits (4-6 months) when they needed parts and reports of non-repair.

Steve
08-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabola Quote
-We're not allowed to sell Pentax spareparts to you directly!
That is the policy here in the U.S. as well. Ricoh/Pentax will sell parts to authorized repair facilities, but not to end users*. Note that authorized repair facility is no the same as warranty repair facility. We have shops here in the Portland area that will repair Pentax, though one fellow told me privately that they would just send it on to Precision if the task was very involved.

Steve

* This policy has been acutely felt by users of aftermarket focus screens needing to adjust calibration. The factory screen shims are of excellent quality, but unavailable to the end user. At one point Katz Eye registered with Pentax as a repair shop and offered the shims for sale from their stock. Sadly, Katz Eye is gone and so is access to the shims.

Steve
08-27-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
However, a moderator telling the participants it isn't worthwhile to vent on the forum is not good form. At the very least, a better choice of wording would have been in order.
Better wording might include a reminder that Ricoh/Pentax does not actively monitor Pentax Forums. Ricoh North America have their own online community that is monitored closely. A complaint posted there will most definitely be seen. A search on that site reveals a few threads regarding Precision service, one of which was successfully resolved as a result of the post.

Home - RIAC Community

Steve
08-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Better wording might include a reminder that Ricoh/Pentax does not actively monitor Pentax Forums. Ricoh North America have their own online community that is monitored closely. A complaint posted there will most definitely be seen. A search on that site reveals a few threads regarding Precision service, one of which was successfully resolved as a result of the post.

Home - RIAC Community

Steve
Never heard of these forums before. Took a quick peek. Given that there are two topic posts in the DSLR section on male supplements I'd debate how closely they are truly monitored. They should be paying attention to our forums, which is the most friendly and supportive community around.
08-28-2015, 02:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
From what I've read on their forum I do not get the impression they follow very closely at all.
Loaded with SPAM left to rot, as well as many comments about them not reading posts nor replying to questions.

There may certainly be the lucky moment when an admin will view some posts, but I would not rely on anything posted there to get back to someone within Ricoh/Pentax who really cares or can do anything about it.
08-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I know a professional photographer who says Nikon service is rubbish and Canon is very good, but he is still using Nikon gear because it has features he needs. However another pro guy I know has switched to Canon.

I use Canon gear when I can... I went to Pentax when the IST-DL came out because it was the nicest DSLR at the time, and I stayed... I don't regret it today because the K3 is very good but if you want the best service go to Canon every time. Their products are usually just a step behind state of the art but they work. Most Canon gear I have had has never gone wrong. During that time I have sent back to Pentax: 2 lenses, the K5 (2x) and the K3.

The repair centres are not organised to read any correspondence that describes the fault. They open the package and follow standard procedures. Once the item works to spec they send it back out.

I would never touch Nikon (unreliable cameras and arrogant service personnel) or Sony (the "infolithium" battery warranty scam) ever again.

There are very few good names in this business but one or two are good.
08-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I would never touch Nikon (unreliable cameras and arrogant service personnel)
Yours is quite different than my experience with NPS -- I've had several repairs, all done professionally without any issues.

Michael