Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Does KEH service camera bodies in addition to Pentax lens?
They do service bodies but you'll have to contact them to make sure. Their flat-rate is higher than Precision's but they are likely to do a better job all around in communication, work and turn-around time.

You could try Advance Camera in Oregon even though they are further away. It's been confirmed they are still an authorized service center.

10-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #107

Good to know about Advance Camera still being in the fold.

I live in Oregon, and used to visit them frequently back in the film days to shop for both new & used Pentax gear.

At the time, they were very pro-Pentax, and the staff was a pleasure to work with.
10-10-2015, 01:45 AM   #108
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
I called United Camera and Binocular Repair as I live in Chicagoland. They said they don't service Pentax anymore due to difficulty in obtaining parts. Argh. Does KEH service camera bodies in addition to Pentax lens?
I am pretty sure you're going to find that response with everyone but Precision themselves in the US... Once Ricoh closed the parts store, I think it really funneled all the work to Precision.

I don't know how KEH does it, but maybe they have an assortment of stock before Ricoh closed the store? I doubt Ricoh just lets them play because they want them to..
10-15-2015, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So, it is time this story comes to its end. Luckily to a fairly happy end.
I received my brand new DA* 50-135mm lens from Ricoh.

It was a longer and more frustrating process than it should have been.
But at least this time Ricoh stood behind their product and did the right thing.

10-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote

But at least this time Ricoh stood behind their product and did the right thing.
Congrats, hope the new lens helps you create many good memories.
10-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #111
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Yes but the problem remains, almost nobody know about the Service centers (who and where to find them) everybody recalls them from the time before Hoya, or are redirected from a member of the forum cause they repair something like KEH, advanced, etc

People out of warranty want a closer place to repair or get service to our camera.
I found out about Advance from their Yellow Pages ad.

Steve
10-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the very reason why I recommended contacting Ricoh/Pentax (see first page). My experience too. Congrats to a happy ending!

10-20-2015, 01:50 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There seems to be a problem with the reliability of service-centers in a few countries. Here in Germany I happen to know of some cases, that took several tries to be finished in the desired way. Some other could not be finished to the customer's satisfaction. AF issues with K3 and internal cleaning of a 16-50mm lens f.ex.. To make things worse, here are no official alternatives you can choose from ...
If Pentax/Ricoh will attract (more semi-)professionals, they will have to invest some more money and effort to bring up a service, that deserves it's name!
10-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #114

Same lens, similar problem for me. Precision has had my lens on 4 different occasions over the past 11 months and has not been able to fix the problem. One time, they even sent back the lens to me saying there was no issue with it. I find myself frustrated enough that I have been researching other systems lately. I emailed Joe voicing my frustration and hoping he can resolve the issue one way or another. Pentax has been a great system for me, so I hate to abandon it. I miss this lens though and don't really have a fast enough alternative in this range.

Glad it has been sorted out for you! Hopefully I will have a happy ending as well.
10-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another angle to look on this is that the potential cost of repair should be included in price of product. Perhaps why Pentax is the best bung for the buck.
Cheers.
10-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pavpen Quote
Another angle to look on this is that the potential cost of repair should be included in price of product. Perhaps why Pentax is the best bung for the buck.
Cheers.
We hear the same horror stories with all brands. Sigma is an exception.
10-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #117
mee
Veteran Member

Scope this.. My K3 Failure/Repair/Re-Repair Saga: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review incredible and disappointing are understatements to how Precision handled this!
10-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #118

My 60-250 has been at Precision since Oct 8, was briefly delayed for parts, then popped up again as being in repair. Precisions web tracking appears great, no complaints. However, it seems a shame it takes this long for a repair, and if Ricoh/Pentax wants to be taken seriously, it really needs more, and better, repair options.

While I look forward to the return of this lovely lens, based on the number of repeat repairs required, I'm fearful the repair will be inadequate and it will need to go back to Precision.

I'm no longer a working pro, but if I were, this level of repair service would be unacceptable.
10-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Scope this.. incredible and disappointing are understatements to how Precision handled this!
A real horror story. Not only the delays and back-and-forth, but re-cycling used parts that have been salvaged from damaged bodies .... It's just asking for additional problems.

Pentax USA really need to get their act together on service and support.
10-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #120
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A real horror story. Not only the delays and back-and-forth, but re-cycling used parts that have been salvaged from damaged bodies .... It's just asking for additional problems.

Pentax USA really need to get their act together on service and support.
Agreed. I started pricing Nikon replacement just for grins and giggles.. It would cost me roughly 1200 I think to switch. I think I will see what next year holds for Pentax in the USA.