Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Scope this.. My K3 Failure/Repair/Re-Repair Saga: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review incredible and disappointing are understatements to how Precision handled this!
Stories like this make me question my return to Pentax. I've been spoiled by lack of repairs over the years, and pro services available when those repairs were required. I know this type of service can happen with any brand, but it seems more prevalent here.

Good luck getting your new K3.

10-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sent my flash in because it mysteriously stopped working. Won't even turn on. I bought a replacement to tide me over until it gets back...I hope I get it by Christmas.
10-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #123
Pentaxian

...That is really how support seems to work in large scale enterprises. It is about the metrics and how someone comes across on paper. Actually.. its about the paper indeed. metrics to money....
Yep, I used to coordinate metrics for a 5000 employee organization. The IT helpdesk is measured on # tickets closed. Complaints like "the shift key, space bar, and enter key on my keyboard are broken" lead to helpdesk staff opening 3 separate tickets, 1 per key!
10-28-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I migrated to Pentax - mainly for the pro bang4buck features + to use the legacy MF lenses which I adore.

From trends I observe in this forum, one thing stands out: Pentax users are a rare breed indeed and at least PF members are a dedicated lot. So if Ricoh continues to sell Extended Warranty and make money while sticking with substandard service centers (which benefits neither Ricoh or its customers), there is great risk it will lose its niche following.

Strategy-wise: I would applaud if Ricoh starts selling spares directly to consumers in addition to service centres. This will prompt many to do their own repairs or get it done with other savvy aficionados (dcshooter for example). And we might even see the emergence of innovative solutions from ingenious experimenters and entrepreneurs.

10-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone goes on and on, about the long warranties on Tamron and Sigma equipment, I sent our Sigma 18-200 in because AF had stopped working and it was decnetered in focus, right and centre, out of focus on the left most quarter of the image... I sent a note in, they fixed the AF (two parts broken) but the lens is still decentered. The warranty isn't much good if they can't fix what's wrong.

So is this a Pentax thing, or is this just the state of the industry?
11-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #126

After my 60-250 being in repair since Oct 9, I received tracking info

I'm not at all confident though as I paid extra for two day return shipping and they shipped it ground

It's the little details. If the lens is fixed, I'll be grateful.
11-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #127
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
After my 60-250 being in repair since Oct 9, I received tracking info

I'm not at all confident though as I paid extra for two day return shipping and they shipped it ground

It's the little details. If the lens is fixed, I'll be grateful.
Ugh. I would not let that go. If you paid for a service, you should receive that service. By rolling over and being passive you are just allowing them to keep screwing other customers of the services for which they pay. I mean if we keep on them by detailing our negative feedback to Ricoh, perhaps we can get some well needed change with respect to trustable repair services?

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 05:53 PM ----------

That said, I'm FINALLY getting responses to my messages by Precision. Talk about taking their time. I don't want to have them touch my lenses but I don't think I have much choice in this country (USA) since they are the only shop in town and Canada's Pentax repair facility specifically states they only repair Pentax gear originating in Canada (mailing address). boo.. so anyway I think I'm going to take ample photographs of my lens to document the condition it is in and the issues I'm having with it, and hope Precision does the right thing and actually repairs it properly (and ethically -- not using parts from other damaged lenses like that K-3 story).

Plus, leaves have fallen and its getting cold so if they decide to hold on to it for a couple of months, it won't be as painful. I just hope it comes back repaired without need of further repairs from their repair. eep.

11-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #128

Ugh. I would not let that go. If you paid for a service, you should receive that service. By rolling over and being passive you are just allowing them to keep screwing other customers of the services for which they pay. I mean if we keep on them by detailing our negative feedback to Ricoh, perhaps we can get some well needed change with respect to trustable repair services?

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 05:53 PM ----------

That said, I'm FINALLY getting responses to my messages by Precision. Talk about taking their time. I don't want to have them touch my lenses but I don't think I have much choice in this country (USA) since they are the only shop in town and Canada's Pentax repair facility specifically states they only repair Pentax gear originating in Canada (mailing address). boo.. so anyway I think I'm going to take ample photographs of my lens to document the condition it is in and the issues I'm having with it, and hope Precision does the right thing and actually repairs it properly (and ethically -- not using parts from other damaged lenses like that K-3 story).

Plus, leaves have fallen and its getting cold so if they decide to hold on to it for a couple of months, it won't be as painful. I just hope it comes back repaired without need of further repairs from their repair. eep.
I will ask for a refund on the missed shipping. I just want to get the lens back first so I can make sure I only have one thing to discuss with them.

I have struggled this last month, while my lens has been in repair, with committing further to Pentax, but today I ordered the 150-450. I debated long and hard between that lens and the Nikon 200-500 5.6, which is $570 cheaper, but not in stock anywhere. I seriously considered the Nikon not only for the price difference, but for the ability to have it reliably repaired if anything happens. Alas, I love the K3 and K5II I have, so opted to stay with the Pentax lens. I hope I don't regret it ...
11-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #129
mee
Veteran Member

Please let us know how the repair goes... and if they refund your money on the shipping. :c )
11-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I sent my flash in because it mysteriously stopped working. Won't even turn on. I bought a replacement to tide me over until it gets back...I hope I get it by Christmas.
I got it back in about 2 weeks. I am impressed!
11-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #131
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I got it back in about 2 weeks. I am impressed!
Well there is a happy story.. for a flash at least. That is a positive start. Does it all work?
11-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #132

Does it all work?
My question more or less - is it fixed?
11-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
My question more or less - is it fixed?
Seems to be!
11-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #134

Well, my 60-250 repair is a failure. Beyond Economic Repair. This for an $800 dollar lens I barely used and that fell maybe two feet, probably less than 18-inches. How can such a "rugged" lens fail so catastrophically? There isn't an external mark on it.

Rant: I was close to buying the 150-450, but no way will I invest in expensive Pentax glass if they are this fragile. I've extensively and professionally used Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Leica, etc ... over the years and not once have had such a failure from such a minimal event. The local repair person I first took it to told me how fragile the Pentax lenses were, but I didn't really believe they were this fragile. Now, maybe I do.
11-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
How can such a "rugged" lens fail so catastrophically?
Honestly, it really doesn't take that much. My "rugged" Nikkor 24-70mm had a minor fall while packed in a backpack and I had to send it in for repair. $350 later it came back good as new. The difference is less in the ruggedness in their lenses than their repair system is not in the same league as CaNikon's. If you are going to compare them to something like prime Leica lenses then the problem may be in your expectations: $1000 lens vs. $5000 lens!!!

Michael