Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #46
Veteran Member

This Post and several others.....and My bad experience 1 time with Precision is exactly why I threw my broken/needing repair K30 in the trash can this year.
Ok.....so I didn't actually throw it in the trash but sold it on Ebay as a parts cameras instead , and got a few dollars for it. I used it alot and got my moneys worth , but would have actually preferred to repair it rather than ditch it.
I simply could do without the hassles of Precision and the crap-shoot they put me through the first time dealing with a lens.

08-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leica repair is excellent. Very profession and thorough. Maybe we can trick them into repairing Pentax products.
08-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I would never touch Nikon (unreliable cameras and arrogant service personnel)
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Yours is quite different than my experience with NPS -- I've had several repairs, all done professionally without any issues.
Your different service experiences might be due to different countries. London England vs Boston USA.
08-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #49
Veteran Member

My understanding is that Nikon service to the professionals is entirely different than to the consumer group.

If I was just starting out as a pro and looking to the future, depending on my particular shooting needs, I would feel a slight hesitation about Nikon regarding its future. Unlike Canon (or Pentax for that matter), the company has no deep pockets from its larger business structure to rely on in bad times. Even in good times (the past few years), Nikon struggles to make a profit. This forces short-term decisions that shy away from innovation. It seems to me that Nikon is very gradually slipping. It's a shame because the glass - overall, across the full spectrum of options - is still the envy of the industry, IMHO.

08-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Most Canon gear I have had has never gone wrong.
You have been very lucky.

Steve
08-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
My understanding is that Nikon service to the professionals is entirely different than to the consumer group.
That is my understanding as well. What's more, eligibility for NPS can be a pain. In the U.S. you must: 1) be a full-time professional (documented), 2) be sponsored in by another NPS member, and 3) own a minimum of 2 Nikon pro-level bodies and 3 Nikkor lenses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2015 at 09:01 AM.
08-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Is NPS run through Precision? What about the Ricoh Advantage program for the 645n/z?

---------- Post added 08-28-15 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Amarony Quote
Never heard of these forums before. Took a quick peek. Given that there are two topic posts in the DSLR section on male supplements I'd debate how closely they are truly monitored.
Well they were actively monitoring it around the time FF was announced. I haven't checked since.

08-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is NPS run through Precision?
Nikon contracts with Precision as well as many other shops, but it is my understanding that NPS work flows through the two U.S. Nikon factory service facilities. My experience with the one in New York was dismal, though as with anything YMMV.

Stve
08-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #54
KDD
Veteran Member

Advance Camera Repair
They are very good in Oregon.
08-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Advance Camera Repair
They are very good in Oregon.
I had forgotten about Advance Camera on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy. They are authorized for Pentax service. Do they still have Pentax for sale in their store?

Steve
08-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do they still have Pentax for sale in their store?
Last time I was in, only a small selection of used lenses. I did chat with someone there about my Takumar collection, as they had several in the case. He mentioned they still did Pentax repair on older gear but no longer sold anything new. Which is a shame as I like the store and would definitely buy from them if they carried new. It is a long drive for me but I try to stop in when I am in that area.
08-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #57

I wondered about this before: When CRIS was the authorized service center for warranty work Pentax/Ricoh had listed other authorized repair centers. Now Precision is the only service center listed. Are the others still authorized for repair (just no warranty work) but not listed by an oversight? A simple way to find out would be someone who had dealt with one or more of the authorized repair places that still has the contact info (e.g. telephone number) to ask them? Was KEH ever listed as authorized for repairs?
08-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

I hope Ricoh turns around and begins to sell parts to end users. Then I don't have to deal with terrible service at these service centers at hyper inflated prices.

Really, Ricoh/Pentax needs a parts department again. Bring it back please!

Last time I looked around (a couple of months ago), no one but Precision and KEH was willing to look at my Pentax DA* lens. Each of the other many repair facilities stated they could not get parts from Pentax (Ricoh) anymore. It looks like Ricoh has largely funneled all repairs through Precision who are.. less than stellar.
08-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Last time I looked around (a couple of months ago), no one but Precision and KEH was willing to look at my Pentax DA* lens. Each of the other many repair facilities stated they could not get parts from Pentax (Ricoh) anymore. It looks like Ricoh has largely funneled all repairs through Precision who are.. less than stellar.
Were any of those authorized repair centers before the Precision switch over?
08-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Are the others still authorized for repair (just no warranty work) but not listed by an oversight?
My understanding is that the others are still authorized (able to buy parts). They disappeared fairly recently from the Web site, so I doubt it was oversight.

Steve