Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #61
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Were any of those authorized repair centers before the Precision switch over?
Don't think so.. outside of C.R.I.S. who directed me to Precision..

The issue is when the Parts Center closed, all of the non-authorized service centers had to stop supporting Pentax too (no parts). It is a big money making gimmick it seems..

08-30-2015, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am as annoyed with Precision as everyone else after the non-repair of the unit I sent them and no response to two emails. But it is not just a Pentax problem. Sony also switched to them about the same time as Pentax and Sony users are equally upset with the service. There is a real rant thread on "the board which has no name". They give a link to the BBB complaints which is very sobering.
08-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #63

Ok, here is an archived version of the former US Authorized Repair/Service centers as of 3 Aug 2013:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130803161004/http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/s...roduct-repairs

Just in case it disappears here is a cut 'n paste

RICOH IMAGING Service Center
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ

Advance Camera Repair & Sales
8124 S.W. Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway
Portland, OR
503-292-6996

California Precision Service
1714 28th Street
Sacramento, CA
916-451-1335

Camera Repair Japan
3435 Breckinridge Blvd, Ste. 130
Duluth, GA
770-935-9771

C.R.I.S.
250 North 54th Street
Chandler, AZ
480-940-1103

Forster's Camera Service
40 West 2950 South
Salt Lake City, UT
801-487-1288

Photo Tech
1413 South King Street, Ste 201
Honolulu, HI
808-952-6161

Picture Perfect Unlimited
25876 The Old Road, Ste 300
Valencia, CA
818-998-5204

Precision Camera and Video Repair
3 Anngina Drive
Enfield, CT
860-749-7380

United Camera and Binocular Repair
1062 Tower Lane
Bensenville, IL
630-595-2525

You can count out the two AZ listings. Interesting to see that Precision is listed here. Looks like they were always authorized. KEH is not listed. This list was unchanged up to 15 Jul 2014. There is a gap until 21 Sept 2014 at which point it shows only Precision.

Edit: I just sent an email to Picture Perfect in Southern California asking if they are still authorize for Pentax/Ricoh non-warranty repairs and more importantly if they can get parts.

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-30-2015 at 07:13 AM.
09-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Update:
Well, the lens was sent back to repair and came back two weeks later. As of yesterday it was still in the queue only as "received" (not yet "in for repair"). Nice status update.

Anyway, it naturally is in the exact same state as when it went out. No one touched it. They certainly did not .

The customer service manager at Precision was quite apologetic.
-- that being said with rather snarky tone, as the person while pleasant did not really seems to be interested in helping.
Or perhaps she was pleasant while knowing full well that she was incapable of doing anything about the issue because her superiors don't give a darn about the problem.
Either way, it was clear that very little was going to be done by Precision employees or management.
When asked about having a manager contact me, I believe her words were "normally management does not speak to customers". So yeah, quite clear that repeat problems where staff is essentially stealing money form the company by not doing their job, is not a problem management has any interest resolving.

Now, being Friday of course, I wait on Ricoh to talk to Joe and see what they can do about this.
Meanwhile I have to rent equipment to fulfill requirements for jobs and for unpaid charity work.
Quite frustrating; mentally and financially.

**** PLEASE ***
The tech at Ricoh commented that they do not have many notes on equipment having to go back for a second repair.
PLEASE; if you've experienced similar issues, you owe it to yourself and other Pentax owners to let Ricoh know your experiences with Precision.
If you have not contacted Ricoh, please do. Hopefully Ricoh does have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy.
i.e. Unlike Precision, they only get paid if you come back to buy their stuff. If the equipment isn't worth buying they won't make any more money.

09-11-2015, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Edit: I just sent an email to Picture Perfect in Southern California asking if they are still authorize for Pentax/Ricoh non-warranty repairs and more importantly if they can get parts.
As a follow up I have not gotten a response from Picture Perfect. The email did not bounce so maybe the are as good about responding to email as Precision is. Perhaps I will call them next week.
09-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #66

Ran across this place while looking for somewhere other than Precision to get my 60-250 fixed: http://camerafix.com

It is a subsidiary of Camera Repair Japan and offers flat rate repair and rush service. Anybody have experience with either place?

I was told by my local repair place and KEH that the lens would need to go to Precision as they have proprietary software needed to adjust the lens ...
09-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will add that my K50 repair which was sent right after the change from AZ to CT was a disaster in terms of customer care. They pretended not to have it until I produced not only a tracking number but proof of delivery and then they suddenly found it. Status went to received and then suddenly a week later to shipped - without ever being in the repair queue. The camera was fixed - but without much explanation or appropriate customer communication.

09-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #68
Forum Member

On a positive note:
I contacted Pentax UK service centre on Monday to ask about K3 II service advisory. On Tuesday FedEx picked up my camera free of charge, on Friday I called them and was told my camera is in the workshop and they're looking at sending it back to me on Monday. So 6 days turnaround with weekend in the middle. But UK is smaller than US so less customers sending their camera for repair.
09-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #69
Pentaxian

IN Canada, you can complain about the Pentax repair service all you want, but Canon ( and I don't know who else) uses the same people. Your choices are limited.
09-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
On a positive note:
I contacted Pentax UK service centre on Monday to ask about K3 II service advisory. On Tuesday FedEx picked up my camera free of charge, on Friday I called them and was told my camera is in the workshop and they're looking at sending it back to me on Monday. So 6 days turnaround with weekend in the middle. But UK is smaller than US so less customers sending their camera for repair.
That is fantastic service.
09-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that the others are still authorized (able to buy parts). They disappeared fairly recently from the Web site, so I doubt it was oversight.

Steve
I have a feeling they can't get parts. Be interesting to find out, as Precision is to be avoided if possible.

I used to take my Pentax gear years ago to PhotoTech here in NYC. Wasn't warranty work and can't recall if they could do such, but they were authorized and could get parts and as importantly tech notes and info. Did good work and I felt lucky to be able to walk over there. When Pentax cut them out of the parts loop they just stopped taking the gear. Oh well. I understood the business of it and in fact everyone else was also heading in the same direction as far as pulling out of service centers. Wasn't fond of the shipping routine but Cris really was pretty good.

But, holy moly. What kind of company can Ricoh possibly be if they think that what Precision has been doing is anything but bad for their business? You might as well wrap your camera up and drop it in the trash and then pick it out a month later. If you're going to have one single place that your users can get service from (again, not a rare thing in this product category) having it be Precision is like telling your customers to buy this expensive and delicate piece of gear and then once the charge goes through go away and don't bother us anymore, we defy you to get it serviced.
09-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #72
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Advance Camera still authorized!

I contacted Advance Camera to see if they were still Authorized and attached their response below.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Dan,

Thank you for choosing Advance Camera!

We are still an authorized Pentax Repair Service Provider, Yes we are still able to repair Pentax bodies as well as lenses.
The only time we would ship it to Precision would be due to issue of major programming requirement.

Kindest Regards

Kathy

Thanks,

Advance Camera Repair
8124 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy.
Portland, OR 97225
09-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #73

Dan,

It's good to know that. Thanks !

Never dealt with Advance but have a good impression from others.
09-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
I contacted Advance Camera to see if they were still Authorized and attached their response below.
That is very good news! Thanks for checking with them. I've always been treated well when I stopped in their shop. Just wish they would carry new Pentax gear.
09-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Dan,

Thank you for choosing Advance Camera!

We are still an authorized Pentax Repair Service Provider, Yes we are still able to repair Pentax bodies as well as lenses.
The only time we would ship it to Precision would be due to issue of major programming requirement.

Kindest Regards

Kathy

Thanks,

Advance Camera Repair
8124 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy.
Portland, OR 97225
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is very good news! Thanks for checking with them. I've always been treated well when I stopped in their shop. Just wish they would carry new Pentax gear.
Yes, this is very good news, being they are less than 20 miles from my home.

Steve