Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #76

I hope you guys are wrong. I just sent a K5IIs to Precision. The camera stopped working suddenly on me twice in two weeks. Acted like it was jammed or something, it was trying to do something when I pushed the shutter button, but wouldn't shoot.

09-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is that a change at Advance Camera?

In April I emailed Advance Camera to ask whether they could fix my 16-50 DA*.

Here's their reply:
Hi Bob,

No, I cannot fix this here. I would have to send it to Pentax for repair. We are having some trouble with their lenses and the motors too.

-Brooke Chamberlain
09-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jhacker Quote
I hope you guys are wrong. I just sent a K5IIs to Precision. The camera stopped working suddenly on me twice in two weeks. Acted like it was jammed or something, it was trying to do something when I pushed the shutter button, but wouldn't shoot.
I recently sent my K3 body to Precision after having dropped it on the floor. Came back in reasonable amount of time. Everything fixed appropriately. While not at the same level of service as NPS (of which I am a member) I found their repair and service acceptable.

YMMV

Michael
09-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine was fixed. They just have awful customer service.

09-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So, after the two failed attempts Ricoh sent me another shipping label to have Precision look at the lens a third time.
After talking to Joel Virgil, Precision called me about 20 minutes later.
They assured me that this would have top priority in their "Pro services" division and the person talking to me would see to it herself that the issue was resolved.

It sat on the shelf with no update in their repair status for a week after it was delivered. (top priority, my arse!)
Well, the third time is NOT the charm...
It completed repair in a day and came back with the EXACT SAME ISSUE STILL NOT RESOLVED.

So, I call Ricoh and AGAIN await Mr Virgil's call.
A month and a half being jerked around by these two companies is becoming a lot more than irritating.
09-28-2015, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
A month and a half being jerked around by these two companies is becoming a lot more than irritating.
Definitely. And I really do not understand why Ricoh puts up with this. At least for warranty repair. As I understand this, Precision will bill Ricoh every time they 'complete' a warranty repair. Whether they actually fixed something or it just sat on the shelf for a week and then they send it back. Sounds like quite a scam to me, and Ricoh is getting taken as much as we are. Unfortunately only Ricoh can solve the issue by dumping these folks and getting a different repair center or opening their own.
09-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, after the two failed attempts Ricoh sent me another shipping label to have Precision look at the lens a third time.
After talking to Joel Virgil, Precision called me about 20 minutes later.
They assured me that this would have top priority in their "Pro services" division and the person talking to me would see to it herself that the issue was resolved.

It sat on the shelf with no update in their repair status for a week after it was delivered. (top priority, my arse!)
Well, the third time is NOT the charm...
It completed repair in a day and came back with the EXACT SAME ISSUE STILL NOT RESOLVED.

So, I call Ricoh and AGAIN await Mr Virgil's call.
That's terrible. What is the lens and what is wrong with it again? I lost track.

09-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That's terrible. What is the lens and what is wrong with it again? I lost track.
It is the DA* 50-135.
It will not focus. Neither via auto-focus nor manual.

The sad thing is that even without connecting to a camera, someone can see while turning the focus ring that the internal components do not move. So the repair techs at Precision are not even looking at the lens before shipping it back.
There is no way someone could miss the problem and interpret it as working.
09-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is the DA* 50-135.
It will not focus. Neither via auto-focus nor manual.

The sad thing is that even without connecting to a camera, someone can see while turning the focus ring that the internal components do not move. So the repair techs at Precision are not even looking at the lens before shipping it back.
There is no way someone could miss the problem and interpret it as working.
Wow, that is nuts.
09-29-2015, 06:49 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I would have sworn by Canon's repair service, but their communication system is SO BAD I had to send in a camera essentially twice to have work done. And then when I finally got it back, the work was done half-assed. My one telephone support effort with Fuji (turned out to be a non-issue) was with a guy who sighed before answering every question, like I was a bother to him. Nikon's United Camera screwed up a repair, oblivious to what I told them was wrong.

This is all in the last 24 months or so.

It is my opinion, and that alone, that repair quality has gone downhill recently. The company you swore by no longer exists because everything changes.
09-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I heard back from Joel Virgil today. First time he actually sounded rather disgusted at the issue.
He is going to have me ship the lens back to him and barring any obvious damage he will send me a new one.
THANK YOU!

caveats; (of course)
1) He has to order one from the Philippines so it may Take a while (what, can't just walk down the road to the store or have Amazon ship one to me?)
2) ... and what's with the "barring any physical damage" condition? You'd think that would have been determined at some pint over the past two months. I am just hoping it doesn't turn out like my K5 which was effectively ruined by CRIS's incompetence and determined by Pentax to be non-coverable damage.

So, although a potential light can be seen at the end of the tunnel, the waiting continues.....
09-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Makes me feel foolish for buying a Pentax extended warranty for my K-3. With service like this, I'd be better off putting the warranty cost towards a new, non-Pentax camera.
09-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Makes me feel foolish for buying a Pentax extended warranty for my K-3. With service like this, I'd be better off putting the warranty cost towards a new, non-Pentax camera.
I truly believe that Pentax is tying to resolve situations like these and also reports from others are that the service for other brands is poor also. I don't know if the grass is actually greener for consumers anywhere. Pro-level service has to become a real and actionable thing if Pentax wants to woo that group and keep them. The 645z repair failures are much more troubling.
09-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
Dan,

It's good to know that. Thanks !

Never dealt with Advance but have a good impression from others.
They answered an email. I suspect they answer the phone, too. That puts them ahead of where Precision was when Ricoh forced me to deal with them 1 year ago.
10-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #90

Wish me luck, my 60-250 is on its way to Precision.