Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #286
Veteran Member

How likely is it that Pentax will announce a repair center for cameras below the 645 run by Ricoh/Pentax at the same time as the FF announcement?

02-01-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As electronic devices become cheaper and less expensive, it becomes less economical to repair them and more economical to just buy a new one.

My 5-year old 40-inch Samsung TV died last week. Internet research showed that the model I have frequently dies early because of defective capacitors/mother-boards. I called the only TV repair business in town and was told that if they could fix it it would likely be over $300. Even if they could not fix it I'd have to pay a fee just for them to look at it. So, I recycled this old TV and bought a new 55-inch LG 4K UHD Smart TV for just $695.

Maybe the camera repair business is similar to the TV repair business? If my out of warrantee K3 does not work, I doubt that I'd be willing to pay more than about $200 to repair it, because I can buy a like-new used one for around $500.
02-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
How likely is it that Pentax will announce a repair center for cameras below the 645 run by Ricoh/Pentax at the same time as the FF announcement?
I doubt they would go to that length, it'd cost too much. It's more likely that if they continue receiving a large amount of complaints about Precision that they'll simply ditch them and try to find a more competent sub-contractor.

I can only see Ricoh opening their own service centres in North America, Europe etc. if their camera business really takes off and gains a considerable market share, including a large number of pros.

Just out of interest I just checked Canon service locations in the UK and Germany (two pretty large markets), and while Canon has a service centre in London, they have four independent companies provide additional service around the country. In Germany all lens repairs are done by independent companies.

So the trick is to find a reliable company with decent customer service and competent Technicians. All customer service for Canon, Ricoh and Tamron in Germany is done by Maerz in Berlin and Hamburg, and I've never read any complaints about them in the German DSLR Forum. They actually clean any camera they receive, update firmware etc.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 02-01-2016 at 10:21 AM.
02-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #289
mee
Veteran Member

That is the rumor going in one of the main threads in the news and rumors section.. first post in it (look for the happy emoticon dancing in a chair). It would be so excellent if it came true.

02-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #290
Veteran Member

Hard to know, Ricoh maybe need big sales to even think about that, but, more repair centers (reliable ones) is a good start.
02-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is the rumor going in one of the main threads in the news and rumors section.. first post in it (look for the happy emoticon dancing in a chair). It would be so excellent if it came true.

I think I read in one of these threads that Precision contract is up some time this year. Not sure where I read it, but trying to hold off sending my K-3ll if it's going to happen. Of course, it's the devil you know to the devil you might get thing.
02-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #292
Forum Member

Alternatively, buy a Square Trade warranty. Not expensive, 5 day turn around or they pay you back what you paid for the camera. Covers spills and drops and not just malfunctions.

02-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #293
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yet the director of operations for North America, the marketing manager, and Joe Virgil himself have all reached out to me so far during this 2+ month fiasco. And the reason being, it appears to me, is that any support Precision gives me on a cash basis for an out of warranty Pentax product is the same level of support they're going to give an in warranty Pentax product.
You are very correct, though I would expect there are limits.

Ricoh could have just told Precision to refund my money and say 'too bad so sad' but they didn't. They're supposedly replacing the whole lens. Kudos to Ricoh.
Do I read correctly that Ricoh is replacing your lens? That is a new behavior on their part. I can't recall ever hearing of them replacing a product in that manner. Your lucky day, eh?

Steve
02-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #294
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Alternatively, buy a Square Trade warranty. Not expensive, 5 day turn around or they pay you back what you paid for the camera. Covers spills and drops and not just malfunctions.
I am not sure, but I believe Square Trade will only insure new purchases with intact original warranties.

Steve
02-01-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do I read correctly that Ricoh is replacing your lens? That is a new behavior on their part. I can't recall ever hearing of them replacing a product in that manner. Your lucky day, eh?
They did that for my 18-135 after three trips to Precision. Non-warranty for which Precision charged me three times, despite there supposedly being a 6 month warranty on the repair. After Ricoh got involved Precision refunded two of the repair charges and Ricoh sent me a new lens. Ricoh stepped up and made it right, but they should not have had to.
02-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #296
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They did that for my 18-135 after three trips to Precision. Non-warranty for which Precision charged me three times, despite there supposedly being a 6 month warranty on the repair. After Ricoh got involved Precision refunded two of the repair charges and Ricoh sent me a new lens. Ricoh stepped up and made it right, but they should not have had to.
(Shakes head...) That is a sad story though it ended well. With any luck Ricoh will set up their own service facility. If the new FF is pro quality, they need a service option to match.

Steve
02-02-2016, 04:26 AM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
As electronic devices become cheaper and less expensive, it becomes less economical to repair them and more economical to just buy a new one.

My 5-year old 40-inch Samsung TV died last week. Internet research showed that the model I have frequently dies early because of defective capacitors/mother-boards. I called the only TV repair business in town and was told that if they could fix it it would likely be over $300. Even if they could not fix it I'd have to pay a fee just for them to look at it. So, I recycled this old TV and bought a new 55-inch LG 4K UHD Smart TV for just $695.

Maybe the camera repair business is similar to the TV repair business? If my out of warrantee K3 does not work, I doubt that I'd be willing to pay more than about $200 to repair it, because I can buy a like-new used one for around $500.
The issue really isn't camera bodies, it is lenses. If you get an extended warranty, by the time your K3 is out of warranty, it is three years old and that is old enough that I wouldn't repair it, regardless of the cost. Better to sink that money into a new camera. But lenses, on the other hand, should last for a long time with appropriate care and even if an in-lens motor goes out, it still probably makes sense to repair it, if it is a sharp copy that has worked well in the past (and isn't a kit lens). But it seems that Precision struggles the most with those sorts of repairs. Fixing decentering/infinity focus is something they seem fairly incapable of doing.
02-02-2016, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #298
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee:
Ricoh could have just told Precision to refund my money and say 'too bad so sad' but they didn't. They're supposedly replacing the whole lens. Kudos to Ricoh.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve

Same for me. LONG out of warranty lens failed to be repaired three times by Precision.
Ricoh (Joe Virgil) replaced my lens.

I believe Ricoh wants a good reputation, and service is part of that. If Precision is their one and only official "authorized" repair center, they had better have business practices that don't border on fraud. Ricoh is literally paying the price for a bad decision. I do hope they fix the issue.
02-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #299
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Same for me. LONG out of warranty lens failed to be repaired three times by Precision.
Ricoh (Joe Virgil) replaced my lens.

I believe Ricoh wants a good reputation, and service is part of that. If Precision is their one and only official "authorized" repair center, they had better have business practices that don't border on fraud. Ricoh is literally paying the price for a bad decision. I do hope they fix the issue.

Yes, Precision claims THEY are replacing the lens. I suspect it is actually Ricoh who I should thank. In any case, Precision has not contacted me in a week and a half after mentioning they were replacing the lens. I checked their site last night with my phone number on a whim and saw it was actually shipped that evening. UPS should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I'm rather anticipatory for what is actually in the box (beyond my K-5II). And am hoping this sad saga is closed (minus the letter to Ricoh). Such a deal.
02-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just hoping that your K-5 II is in the box.