Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What lenses are available from the other systems that aren't available in Pentax that makes you want to switch? Or is it just having the ability to go in to a local shop to touch and feel before you buy?

You've already got a pair of kit zooms. Right now I'd get a k-3 body or a k-50 with both WR kit lenses to replace the busted 70-300.

Last edited by skierd; 08-22-2015 at 02:09 PM.
08-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Your budget will get you a nice new prosumer Pentax SLR to use your existing lenses with. After you have the new body, you can start thinking about new lenses. : )

I'm going to be bold and say the K3ii and forthcoming FF mean that the days of having good reasons to jump to Canikon are nearly over for even serious enthusiast photographers. (F/T pros needing a 5D or similar are excepted for the moment.)
08-22-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think my upgrade will be down to either K50d or KS1 as I'd rather not blow my entire budget in one go, I'll always have the option to trade up to a k3 later. Found a local(ish) camera shop stocks both these models, though more expensive than if i ordered off amazon. So I'll go there and have a hands on look at both models before i make my final choice and order off the net :-)
08-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Yeah do try both of em so you know which feels better in your hands. I really like the feel of the k-50 in my hands but I don't own it sadly.

08-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by GrimWolf Quote
Found a local(ish) camera shop stocks both these models, though more expensive than if i ordered off amazon. So I'll go there and have a hands on look at both models before i make my final choice and order off the net :-)
And this is why there are fewer local camera shops. I understand wanting to save some money but if we continue to use the local stores as a display case for Amazon you'll find boarded up windows next time you actually want to buy something locally.
08-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's a good point. The price difference between the shop and Amazon is relatively low, might be worth going with the app to avoid delivery times and easier help if anything goes wrong.
08-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shuber Quote
And this is why there are fewer local camera shops. I understand wanting to save some money but if we continue to use the local stores as a display case for Amazon you'll find boarded up windows next time you actually want to buy something locally.
I agree. That said... If those same local suppliers developed an online presence, it would boost their potential sales volume and allow them to reduce their margins through all distribution channels - so they'd be at least a bit more competitive. If buying from a local shop would cost me 10-15% more, I'd genuinely make an effort to support them with my patronage. But if it's going to cost me 30%+ more, I simply can't justify it. Local retailers need to evolve and meet the buyer half way (some have and do well as a result)

08-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
This shop does have an online presence :-) (Digital Depot) and do actually stock a reasonable Pentax selection.
08-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Their web site does show quite a good selection of Pentax. It was interesting to note they still show a K5-II body, and that the K-S2 pricing with 18-50 WR is only 90 GBP higher that the K-S1 with 18-55.
08-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have to say, the k-s2 looks quite good
08-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This shop does have an online presence :-) (Digital Depot) and do actually stock a reasonable Pentax selection.
Excellent - best of both worlds, then Let us know how you get on!
08-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Actually, looking at it, Digital Depot's price for the K-s2 is far better than amazon's
08-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, looking at it, Digital Depot's price for the K-s2 is far better than amazon's
I just looked at the website and some (not all, of course) of their prices are very decent.

The K-S2 would certainly be contender for you - right up-to-date with features and technology - and weather sealed too. Nice
08-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

If you haven't already purchased, I'd recommend putting your hands on a number of cameras.. and not just Pentax. I'd avoid Canon simply due to the poor Dynamic Range in their sensors (and the ultra cheap plasticky feel of their bodies imo). But Nikon, Fuji, and maybe even Olympus would be an option... but maybe not for your budget... not sure. What I am sure is, like you say, you have many options today. I wouldn't pidgeonhole yourself to a particular camera or even brand until you've done your homework and found what really suites you.

Considering you only have the kit lens and a single zoom lens, you are not heavily invested in the K mount system.. so it wouldn't be difficult to switch to another brand, provided you fit better elsewhere. But I'd still avoid Canon... haha.
08-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, I've contacted digital depot, they are offering £150 trade in for my k20d. Worth it or ebay?