Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrimWolf Quote
So, I've contacted digital depot, they are offering 150 trade in for my k20d. Worth it or ebay?
I'm not sure what they fetch, but given the age of the camera and the fact that you can currently get a brand new K-50 plus 16Gb card for 329 (possibly even less), it sounds like a very fair trade-in price indeed Plus, no worries about packing and shipping the K20D, or the unlikely-but-possible issues with a difficult eBayer...

08-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC Canon changed their mounts in 1986 and then again a few years later, in such a way that the legacy glass route was absolutely closed for DSLR and later film body users, while Nikon has problems as detailed above and possibly more besides. You should bear this in mind before changing systems. If I were going to switch brands, it would absolutely not be Canon for this reason, and it would only be Nikon after extensive research into which camera I'd need to buy (or NOT buy) to maintain the same backward compatibility that I currently enjoy with Pentax/Takumar.

You may get a wider range of lenses with Canikon, but bear in mind that the selection may overwhelm you. Ultimately it's all about what you want to do with those lenses, and careful consideration of that issue may whittle down your choices to the point where Pentax's offerings don't seem so meagre any more.
09-01-2015, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, I am now the proud owner of a Pentax K-S2 :-) was surprised with the lack of lens hood.
09-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I am now the proud owner of a Pentax K-S2 :-) was surprised with the lack of lens hood.
Woohoo!!! Great news - that's a *nice* camera! Don't worry, a lens hood is easy to sort out - there are some great after-market hoods available, as I'm sure you know (I like the JJC models which are *very* close to the official Pentax versions and a lot cheaper). Which lens did you get with it?

09-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got the 18-50 lens with it

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 08:17 AM ----------

Love how quiet the focusing is, but my god the older lenses make a racket when they focus lol.
09-02-2015, 03:12 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Got the 18-50 lens with it

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 08:17 AM ----------

Love how quiet the focusing is, but my god the older lenses make a racket when they focus lol.
Well, if you're happy to go for a petal-style lens hood rather than Pentax's own, I see a couple of suitable options on eBay for a fraction of the price. Otherwise a collapsible rubber 58mm hood should do the trick.

Yes, screw drive autofocus is noisy. I don't mind it, but when I use my DA20-40 (with built-in DC focusing motor) I definitely notice the difference!

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 11:24 AM ----------

I just checked eBay again and there's a nice JJC 58mm metal hood for 18-55mm lenses for 5.99. It'll be most effective at the shorter focal lengths, but that's where most of the flare risk is likely to be. Nice looking hood that would complement your new camera + lens

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-02-2015 at 03:26 AM.
09-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got a hood coming off ebay, as well as a uv & cpl filter, and 2 spare batteries.

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 11:29 AM ----------

A petal hood that is.
09-02-2015, 04:53 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Got a hood coming off ebay, as well as a uv & cpl filter, and 2 spare batteries.

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 11:29 AM ----------

A petal hood that is.
Excellent. You're all set! Enjoy

09-02-2015, 05:36 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

You won't need the UV filter, but a good CPL is a nice tool.

Keep an eye on the used market. The Marketplace here is a great resource. I think you might enjoy a prime like the inexpensive DA35mm lens, once you're ready to make that jump. Having a quality prime can make you really think about your photos, and the image quality is great.

I think the KS2 was a great choice for the price - you will have a lot of fun with it.
09-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I think you might enjoy a prime like the inexpensive DA35mm lens, once you're ready to make that jump. Having a quality prime can make you really think about your photos, and the image quality is great.
+1 to that. The DA35 is a great lens - a nice way to get into primes and the resulting jump in IQ.
09-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The DA35 is a great lens - a nice way to get into primes and the resulting jump in IQ.
If the DA50/1.8's dirt-cheap North American pricing extends also to the UK, I'd definitely put that one on my list of lenses to look at too.

Be aware that there was an older thread, recently revived, about a chap who went to the UK and wound up finding his DA50 a little long for the indoor shots he did (DA35 was better). You might want to consider that in the context of your own shooting style and choices of subjects.
09-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The 50mm is a short telephoto on an APSC sensor, I find even my 40mm too long in a lot of situations myself.
The 35 will be far more versatile, and there's always a trillion cheap legacy 50s you can get if you really want something at that FL at some point.

I personally find the 50mm focal length to over rated on a crop sensor, not long enough for decent short telephoto shots like a 70-135 would be and not short enough for most other situations.
09-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sounds good, are there legacy/film era lenses with auto focus, or are they all manual?
09-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Sounds good, are there legacy/film era lenses with auto focus, or are they all manual?
If you want AF your cheapest option is the modern DA 50 1.8, but no most legacy glass is manual focus.

Most well rated classic 50s have well dampened focus rings and are easy to focus with, I recommend checking out the sears/chinon 50mm or the Ricoh 50mms.
09-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

are there legacy/film era lenses with auto focus, or are they all manual?
Have a look here; the FA and F lenses are all autofocus, and of course being film-era they will all be full frame-capable if you go down that road in the future. The FA primes are pretty good in my experience (28/2.8, 50/1.4, 135/2.8), but some (135/2.8 for example) are well sought after and not cheap. Some of the zooms are almost toy-like in their construction quality but still turn out quite acceptable results. Another benefit is that if you should choose to dabble in film, all the F and FA lenses have aperture rings and should be compatible with pre-AF K-mount film bodies.

If you buy from the marketplace here, you'll be buying from people who know their glass, and some real bargains can be had if you want to be adventurous. I've had nothing but good experiences there.