Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #16
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
They are probably referring to lenses without automatic aperture. Lenses with automatic aperture, the 'A' setting, do their metering and focusing with the lens wide open and stop down when the shutter is tripped.
Well that makes sense. The only non-auto aperture lens I've owned was stolen, and my experience with the S type screen was after this occurred. Thanks for the info Dave.

Tas

08-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I've been using the S screen (without any markings) on my K5II.... no problems (K lenses). I'm going to move it into my K3 next month......just bought a cheap split screen off ebay to put in the K5II......just for curiosity sake......if it's no good I'll get a nikon split.
08-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
The best ever focusing screen for Pentax crop-DSLRs is a Nikon F6-A focusing screen. Actually, it was the best screen, I must confess that I bought the last one about a year ago

Usually, one wants to replace a focusing screen for more accurate focusing. In my experience it's only possible when a screen has a split-image sector. Plain matting will never be as good as split-image for accurate focusing.
However, the problem with split-image screens for crop-DSLRs is that split-image sectors are too big, they distract from composition and can and do shift exposure. It is because precise screens for crop-cameras are made from FF screens. On FF cameras such sectors look not very big but when screens are cut for crop-cameras, everything on screens is magnified.
Nikon F6-A is the only high precision screen that has a very tiny split-image sector and no other distracting elements. Once installed in a Pentax DSLR, one can't find any distractions at all except for a rather small split-mage sector in the center of the image. There are no exposure shifts at all. And the focusing is very-very accurate!
After F6-A the only option is Canon's EE-S but it's only a subtitute.

P.S. I sold my K-3 but I'm still keeping the F6-A screen. If someone needs it, you can send me a PM. I also have a Canon EE-S screen for Pentax, F6-A is much better for sure.
Did you have to use shims when you installed the nikon screen on your Pentax
TFS
08-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
Did you have to use shims when you installed the nikon screen on your Pentax
TFS
Yes, I did. Focusing with split-image screens is so precise that one needs very precise shims. It is very difficult to make them with common tools at home, I received the shims from focusingscreen.com along with the screen itself.

08-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have a Katzeye in my K200D and noticed no effect on the (quite bad) metering in that camera. Manual lenses require experience and chimping to get the exposure right on DSLRs anyway, so any effects on metering didn't matter. The K3 has much better metering, so it might be worse with a split prism screen.

The Katzeye screen needed to be shimmed, although not initially, it must have moved somehow and I had to add a shim about a year after I fitted it because the focusing went off. I'd love to have one in my K3 but now that they're out of business that's not going to be possible. Live view helps a lot but is nowhere near as easy to use. Plus with the K3 still under warrenty I prefer not to tamper with it, as the warranty will be invalidated.
08-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
just bought a cheap split screen off ebay to put in the K5II......just for curiosity sake......if it's no good I'll get a nikon split
I just put one of the eBay split screens in my spare K-7 body. Tried it out at a soccer game last night (definitely not the best subject) and found it worked fairly well. I found the micro-prism area was often easier to use for getting focus quickly on a moving subject. The split area did darken at some points under the floodlights with an F4 aperture lens. I have not done a detailed test to see if shimming will help further (no shims are included with the cheap screens).
08-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter

As i understand the only edge of canon s over stock screen is focusing wider than f2 and no advantage thereafter.
It is hard to explain, but the statement is not quite true. The Canon Ec-S/Ef-S screens are intended for use at f/1.8 - f/2.8. At narrower apertures the screen brightness dims substantially with resulting grainy appearance and decrease in focus sensitivity. The dimness may also adversely affect metering. Whether this means the screen is less capable than the stock Pentax screen is debatable. That screen, while consistently bright, has a focus sensitivity of no better than about f/4.5, regardless of lens mounted.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_FocusingScreens_QuickGuide.pdf

I have owned a cut-down Ec-S from focusingscreen.com and while the screen is quite wonderful with a fast prime mounted, the view is quite dim at f/4.

Some also mentioned nikon k3 is as good as katzeye
The two screens are very similar in appearance and by reputation the K3's split image has similar black-out resistance. Rachael Katz claimed that despite the similarities, the Katz Eye is of their manufacture. What you could not get with the K3 screen is the option for OptiBrite, which in my opinion was worth every penny. (I have owned both OptiBrite and non-OptiBrite versions of the Katz Eye product.)

Steve
08-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter

The best ever focusing screen for Pentax crop-DSLRs is a Nikon F6-A focusing screen. Actually, it was the best screen, I must confess that I bought the last one about a year ago
Are you sure? B&H lists that screen as active, but out of stock. They claim to have additional stock coming.

Nikon Focusing Screen "A" for F6 4769 B&H Photo Video

Steve

08-28-2015, 02:16 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure? B&H lists that screen as active, but out of stock. They claim to have additional stock coming.

Nikon Focusing Screen "A" for F6 4769 B&H Photo Video

Steve
I just ordered from amazon two days ago and the screen is still available. I think he was referring to the modified ( cut specifically for Pentax APS size ) screens sold by focusingscreens.com which is currently not available.

---------- Post added 08-28-15 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is hard to explain, but the statement is not quite true. The Canon Ec-S/Ef-S screens are intended for use at f/1.8 - f/2.8. At narrower apertures the screen brightness dims substantially with resulting grainy appearance and decrease in focus sensitivity. The dimness may also adversely affect metering. Whether this means the screen is less capable than the stock Pentax screen is debatable. That screen, while consistently bright, has a focus sensitivity of no better than about f/4.5, regardless of lens mounted.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_FocusingScreens_QuickGuide.pdf

I have owned a cut-down Ec-S from focusingscreen.com and while the screen is quite wonderful with a fast prime mounted, the view is quite dim at f/4.

The two screens are very similar in appearance and by reputation the K3's split image has similar black-out resistance. Rachael Katz claimed that despite the similarities, the Katz Eye is of their manufacture. What you could not get with the K3 screen is the option for OptiBrite, which in my opinion was worth every penny. (I have owned both OptiBrite and non-OptiBrite versions of the Katz Eye product.)

Steve
Thanks for the response and sharing your experience. I already have the Canon and waiting for the Nikon focusing screen I just ordered. I intend to cut these as described somewhere in this forum.
09-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #25

Another question for those who have tried non stock FS. Will the focus confirm and other indicators (
green hexagon and metering values )
be retained if the stock FS is replaced
09-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #26
Tas
Site Supporter

Does for me

Another question for those who have tried non stock FS. Will the focus confirm and other indicators (
I get focus confirmation on my K5 with an S type screen.
09-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter

As far as metering "problems," I have a KatzEye on my K 10. The spot metering doesn't agree with center weighted when tested on a blank wall. Since I "grew up" with center weighted that didn't bother me too much, but using my K 5 I spot meter much more often, so I've been undecided about the KatzEye. Looks as if the decision has been made for me......
09-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter

In regards to focus confirm and AF, the optical path for the PDAF system does not pass through the focus screen. They are completely separate systems and should not be affected.

As for metering:
  • For screens with a split-image, spot metering will generally be compromised. This problem dates back to the earliest spot-metering bodies over 40 years ago.
  • Overall screen dimness with narrow aperture lenses may bias the meter towards overexposure. Example: Most aftermarket screens will be markedly dimmer with the 18-55 kit lens at 55mm (f/5.6) than the stock screen at the same focal length.
  • Etched grid or AF area lines may create meter confusion by contributing false brightness to portions of the frame. This is a demonstrated issue with the K-3 and etched S-type screen from focusingscreen.com. Whether other bodies have similar issues is unknown.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-14-2015 at 11:41 AM.
06-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #29

Usually, one wants to replace a focusing screen for more accurate focusing. In my experience it's only possible when a screen has a split-image sector. Plain matting will never be as good as split-image for accurate focusing.
However, the problem with split-image screens for crop-DSLRs is that split-image sectors are too big, they distract from composition and can and do shift exposure. It is because precise screens for crop-cameras are made from FF screens. On FF cameras such sectors look not very big but when screens are cut for crop-cameras, everything on screens is magnified.
Nikon F6-A is the only high precision screen that has a very tiny split-image sector and no other distracting elements. Once installed in a Pentax DSLR, one can't find any distractions at all except for a rather small split-mage sector in the center of the image. There are no exposure shifts at all. And the focusing is very-very accurate!
After F6-A the only option is Canon's EE-S but it's only a subtitute.

P.S. I sold my K-3 but I'm still keeping the F6-A screen. If someone needs it, you can send me a PM. I also have a Canon EE-S screen for Pentax, F6-A is much better for sure.
Hi.
Morten from DK. I'm very interested in your Nikon focusing screen if you still got it, just name a price. Pay via PayPal, or bank
Regards
Morten Landor

---------- Post added 06-18-2017 at 06:03 PM ----------

Hi.
Morten from DK. I'm very interested in your Nikon focusing screen if you still got it, just name a price. Pay via PayPal, or bank.
mailto: dmlandor@gmail.com
Regards
Morten Landor
07-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by mlandor Quote
Hi.
Morten from DK. I'm very interested in your Nikon focusing screen if you still got it, just name a price. Pay via PayPal, or bank
Regards
Morten Landor

---------- Post added 06-18-2017 at 06:03 PM ----------

Hi.
Morten from DK. I'm very interested in your Nikon focusing screen if you still got it, just name a price. Pay via PayPal, or bank.
mailto: dmlandor@gmail.com
Regards
Morten Landor
Hi Morten,

I'm sorry, I sold that focusing screen long ago. Today I have a K-1 camera and I must say, I'd like to get this screen for my current camera too but I can't find F6-A anywhere for the K-1...