Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...my 02 cents...

Wanna save some money ?

Get a DA 40/2.8 Limited for (say) $275 and slap it on the ol' K100D...

Not only will you think you have it great... you will have it great! The improved IQ will make you believe you got a new camera! In fact, you may defer the urge to upgrade to the new K30... (or whatever)!

The lens is (2X) awesome and it will really make the output from your K100D shine.

06-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Say, the K100 and K200 share the same weaknesses: Smaller viewfinder, slow AF, small continuous shooting buffer (only up to 4 jpegs at 2.8fps) and so on. The pixel count is higher but not much more. You should note that you probably will get more noise with a more pixel count, however.
The AF is much improved - a poster at DPReview demonstrated better results shooting sports with the K200D than the K10D. It also has a faster write speed, so even though the buffer is relatively small it clears out fairly quick with a fast SD card. And the 10mp sensor definitely outresolves the 6mp sensor of the K100D, and the slightly higher noise at ISO1600 is more than compenstated by the greater level of detail. You also left out the weather resistant body (yes, needs a lens too, but at least they are available), improved AS, dust detection system (in use I really like this!), RAW button, sensitivity priority mode, and available battery grip. And coming from the *istDS, I was concerned about a lesser viewfinder too, but in practice I don't notice much difference. Your Mileage May Vary.
06-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Hi FI,

When I was considering a chioce between K20d and K200d, the weight was one of my concern.

Be careful that the the weight of K200d specified by Pentax was based on 4 pieces of Li non-rechargeable batteries. If you planna to use 4 AA rechargable Ni-MH bateries for K200d, you needed to add roughly 60g more (in total).
Right, but I think NiMHs are heavier actually.

QuoteQuote:
(also you cannot put 2 pieces of R-CRV3 Li batteries to K200d becaue it is not allow by physical design)
It is *officially* not allowed, not physically, as long as *regulated* RCR-V3s are used.
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Right, but I think NiMHs are heavier actually.

It is *officially* not allowed, not physically, as long as *regulated* RCR-V3s are used.

Hi Rice,

Thanks for your advices.
However, actually I used alot of R-CRV3 on my previous Kodak DC.

I tried putting RCR-V3 onto my K200d but in vain. It is indeed physically not allowed. Deep inside the battery compartment, there is a plastic "slot" built in the middle halved way between there, which prevent insertion of RCR-V3 (regulated or not; definitely not! I tried). Only normal AA size batteries can be put in.

(attached an image taken before I sent my K200d baby out)

Attached Images

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-21-2008 at 11:39 AM.
06-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
I tried putting RCR-V3 onto my K200d but in vain. It is indeed physically not allowed. Deep inside the battery compartment, there is a plastic "slot" built in the middle halved way between there, which prevent insertion of RCR-V3 (regulated or not; definitely! I tried). Only normal sizes AA size batteries can be put in.
The manual for K200D also doesn't mention CR-V3 batteries while the K100D Super one does. Too bad Pentax abandoned CR-V3 support. I always have a pair of them as backups.
06-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
The manual for K200D also doesn't mention CR-V3 batteries while the K100D Super one does. Too bad Pentax abandoned CR-V3 support. I always have a pair of them as backups.
Oh yeah! CRV3 is good while RCR-V3 is rechargeable, lighter in weight and has a longer operation time.

But be careful. the no load voltage of R-CRV3 is between 3.3V to 3.82 V typically. Ocasionally it can reach 4.1V (in hot climinate countries). Therefore, two CRV3 can pose a 8.2 V voltage stress on your camera.
Some of my fans use 1 RCRV3 + 2 NiHM AA batteries in series for K100D (exactly 5.5 to 6.5 V) But this user bears a risk to reversely charging the R-CRV3 when the battery power starts to end-up first (which is usually case because RCR-V3 usaully has a lower mAH capacity then the other two pieces of Ni-MH batteries ). In this circumstance, make sure you are using the "regulated type" RCR-V3 which has a diode voltage drop inside the battery structure)

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-21-2008 at 07:18 AM.