Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 02:16 AM   #1

Pentax k5 viewfinder

Anyone else find that the k5 viewfinder is very difficult to view correct sharpness. I find myself that especially when using manual I have to rely on the camera AF settings to pick up the sharpness and even adjusting the eye piece my naked eye can never view correct sharpness

08-26-2015, 02:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, and I don't wish to muck around with an aftermarket focus screen. Wish the original was better for manual focus! Of course, there are good aftermarket options, I just don't have the guts to do the swap over!
08-26-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
Anyone else find that the k5 viewfinder is very difficult to view correct sharpness. I find myself that especially when using manual I have to rely on the camera AF settings to pick up the sharpness and even adjusting the eye piece my naked eye can never view correct sharpness
It's especially hard for wider lenses. But live view zooming helps greatly in this regard, a feature that's been improved significantly on bodies that came after the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-26-2015, 03:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, and I don't wish to muck around with an aftermarket focus screen. Wish the original was better for manual focus! Of course, there are good aftermarket options, I just don't have the guts to do the swap over!
I took my K5 focus screen out to clean it and it was very straightforward.

08-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are some eye-piece magnifiers worth checking out if you do a lot of manual focus. Pentax O-ME53 springs to mind.
08-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Sharpness with which lens? If you're using something faster than 2.8 or so, you'd need to switch to a different focus screen to get any chance of accuracy with the viewfinder, because the viewfinder can't show the difference between 1.2 and 2.8 or so.
08-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Really , I didn't know that. Using a smc a 1.7 50mm. How do I go about doing this adjustment
08-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I took my K5 focus screen out to clean it and it was very straightforward.
I'm happy to jump out of a perfectly good working airplane, but there's a few things I'm not confident enough doing myself - The focus screen swap is one of them!