Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys. My K-5 survived a thunderstorm a few years ago, it rained substantially hard with my K-5 being soaked all over w/ the attached 16-50 DA*. I expect my K-3 to be able to do the same, however afraid to test it out in even sprinkling rain now. I created the this thread because I saw this post below and it doesn't sound like his seals are intact correctly. Was hoping there was a better way to test the K-3's weather resistance's water resistance sealing than just some source of water.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302338-weather-sealing.html

08-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the only way to test the integrity of the cameras water seals, is to test it using water.

Dust, water,smoke and air, are all different sized particles. Dust is the largest, air is the smallest. Using air or smoke may be a good indicator in some situations, but not in this case. On any lens that has a front element that moves, Air must be able to get in to and out of the Lens. Even temperature differences will cause the air to expand or contract, and there must be someplace for this air to go. without this ability to migrate air in and out of the lens, the lens would be unusable and possibly damage the camera Seals, from having too much pressure Inside the camera.

simply dunking the camera in water, or running water over it is not a good test for the water seals. The air pressure in the camera will automatically keep most of the water out. the camera must be used in a normal manner. This means focusing, zooming and actively taking pictures.

What Pentax should do is put a moisture sensor inside the camera. Then the camera can alert you when the humidity gets too high for safe operation, And even shut off before any damages done
08-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LeDave, I own a couple of waterproof cases for shooting while snorkelling, and the instructions are clear: the seals may have degraded, and the units must be tested by immersion each time before putting a camera in them.

But you can't do that with your K-3.
08-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #19

very thin line between water resistant and waterproof.
I'm more worried about soft drink than water since its killed more camera's than shooting in the rain ever has.

with a ziplock bag and some duct tape you could go diving with your dslr *yes I've done this, and no i wouldn't recommend it unless its a camera you got for free and have no personal attachment to* (i swapped a sigma ef 28-70 f2.8 with severe decentring a dead focusing motor for a canon 1100d)

08-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Take a shower with your camera...
08-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

As a quick 'pressure test', mount a WR zoom that changes volume when zooming (like the 18-135) and rack the zoom in and out very quickly. You should feel a good deal of resistance since air must go in or out of the body while zooming.

Now, open the battery door and do it again. You'll notice air wheezing in and out through the battery compartment and it should be much easier than it was before. If there is no change, your weather sealing is probably compromised. By trying this I noticed that on my camera the battery door wasn't sealing all the way, so I cleaned the rubber seal with a damp cotton swab and it now seals properly. You can also try racking the zoom without attaching it to the camera and you'll see it's MUCH easier since there is no air restriction.

As a caveat, adjust your zoom somewhat slowly in the rain and avoid quickly racking it in and out since it might force moisture past the seals. Zoom lenses need to suck in air to fill the volume change when you zoom. (May not apply to all zooms, but most.) Moving from hot, humid environments to cool environments can also cause condensation in your lens if it sucked in humid air.
08-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #22
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I raised the question in another thread (perhaps a few months ago) of where does the air get in or out with a lens that changes its volume when focusing and/or zooming, and the answer offered was that the body/lens combination "breathes" near the eyepiece. (?) [I don't have any WR lens to test this on my K-3, so I can't say so myself.]
08-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I raised the question in another thread (perhaps a few months ago) of where does the air get in or out with a lens that changes its volume when focusing and/or zooming, and the answer offered was that the body/lens combination "breathes" near the eyepiece. (?) [I don't have any WR lens to test this on my K-3, so I can't say so myself.]
And the answer is, anyplace it can. Just like water and electricity, air follows the path of least resistance. The higher the pressure, the more likely it will come out where it is not supposed to. On a lens like the 18 135 WR, There should be a vent somewhere. On mine, it mainly comes out somewhere around the mount area. If it comes out anywhere on the camera, one of the seals is probably damaged. Simply zooming to quickly can produce a +/- pressure on the camera body. It is unknown if this small pressure could damage any of the seals or not. But it may be possible. especially if there is not a vent on the lens.

08-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
And the answer is, anyplace it can.
You took the words right out of my mouth (or fingertips as the case may be).

Steve
08-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the answer is, anyplace it can. Just like water and electricity, air follows the path of least resistance. The higher the pressure, the more likely it will come out where it is not supposed to. On a lens like the 18 135 WR, There should be a vent somewhere. On mine, it mainly comes out somewhere around the mount area. If it comes out anywhere on the camera, one of the seals is probably damaged. Simply zooming to quickly can produce a +/- pressure on the camera body. It is unknown if this small pressure could damage any of the seals or not. But it may be possible. especially if there is not a vent on the lens.
Maybe this is the reason why some day using the 18-135 the lens change button fell off my K5 camera body.
08-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #26
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, if you're correct, then I'm pretty disappointed. If there's a vent on the lens, then there's a vent on a place on a supposedly WR rig (body with lens) that is pretty vulnerable to water getting in. Or, if a rig can have a vent anywhere, then water can get in "anywhere". If "WR" means "water can't get in except where water can get in", then WR would be pretty useless.

As I would see it, either:

1. There are no vents in a WR rig (so that air pressure - both positive and negative - can build up/down a bit during use).

or:

2. There is a vent - or are vents - where air could ingress and egress, that is/are strategically located where water (such as rainwater) would not typically get to - sort of "sheltered" locations.

I understand that WR does not indicate "waterproof" (and that water immersion by a Pentax WR user would not be a good idea), but WR does seem to work in the rain, right? I really would like to know exactly what happens (or doesn't) when , say, a WR 55-300 lens is "exercised" on a WR body. (?) I'm not arguing the physics involved, I'm just curious about what Pentax specifically intends/designed to happen with air pressure (+ and/or -), in as much as air leaks (whenever the internal pressure is negative) can easily be water leaks.
08-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Maybe this is the reason why some day using the 18-135 the lens change button fell off my K5 camera body.
Air pressure popped it off!

Steve
08-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
If "WR" means "water can't get in except where water can get in", then WR would be pretty useless.
By Jove! I think you've got it!

WR is far from useless, but also far from hermetic sealed.

Steve
09-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #29

It rained last night at the Grizzlies game, and I got unhelpful advice from a C&N user behind me to boot, but my K3+16-85 did well (first time I've got to use my new combo in the rain).

I'm sure there are limits to how 'wet' I can get it, but a decent rain seemed fine.
09-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I killed my k3 and Fa 77 yesterday. I know the 77 is not WR. I was walking in waste deep water. You can pretty much finish the story but I tripped. Camera went in for quick dunk. Water was in the lens and I was surprised to see the places where the water was in the camera. Camera dead and water inside the lens. Not happy. I'm very careful with my equipment but this was like walking down the street and tripping. My question is can the lens be cleaned to get the water out. It has pretty much dried now but has dried water spots which I'm sure will affect the picture