Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I killed my k3 and Fa 77 yesterday.
Ouch. Really sorry to hear that

I would think Eric would be able to clean up the lens - shouldn't be hard to find his contact info around here.

09-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Take it out in the rain. When you come back in, if the camera is still working then you know it's water resistant.
09-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #33
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
OK, if you're correct, then I'm pretty disappointed. If there's a vent on the lens, then there's a vent on a place on a supposedly WR rig (body with lens) that is pretty vulnerable to water getting in. Or, if a rig can have a vent anywhere, then water can get in "anywhere". If "WR" means "water can't get in except where water can get in", then WR would be pretty useless.

As I would see it, either:

1. There are no vents in a WR rig (so that air pressure - both positive and negative - can build up/down a bit during use).

or:

2. There is a vent - or are vents - where air could ingress and egress, that is/are strategically located where water (such as rainwater) would not typically get to - sort of "sheltered" locations.

I understand that WR does not indicate "waterproof" (and that water immersion by a Pentax WR user would not be a good idea), but WR does seem to work in the rain, right? I really would like to know exactly what happens (or doesn't) when , say, a WR 55-300 lens is "exercised" on a WR body. (?) I'm not arguing the physics involved, I'm just curious about what Pentax specifically intends/designed to happen with air pressure (+ and/or -), in as much as air leaks (whenever the internal pressure is negative) can easily be water leaks.

Yes and just in the rain.. that is not in the ocean.

Too many are confusing Weather (or Water it is the same in this situation) Resistant with Submersible. Your Pentax DSLR is NOT rated for any form of submersing in liquid. Rain shower is essentially the limit. You can't go in the ocean, lake, or swimming pool with your Pentax DSLR and expect it to survive. It wasn't engineered for such a feat.

I strongly doubt there are any pressurization tests on Pentax DSLR bodies and WR lenses. That would cost money and if they spent that kind of money, they would surely tout it on the box. No, the seals are simply meant to keep non-pressurized liquids and dust from invading the internals.

Rain shower - yes
Ice storm - sure can (done it)
Humid Jungle - yeppers
Dust storm - probably ( though AW lenses and DA* supposedly designed specifically for this while WR I don't think are)
Any form of pressurized water submersion - No way Jose!
09-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes and just in the rain.. that is not in the ocean.

Too many are confusing Weather (or Water it is the same in this situation) Resistant with Submersible. Your Pentax DSLR is NOT rated for any form of submersing in liquid. Rain shower is essentially the limit. You can't go in the ocean, lake, or swimming pool with your Pentax DSLR and expect it to survive. It wasn't engineered for such a feat.

I strongly doubt there are any pressurization tests on Pentax DSLR bodies and WR lenses. That would cost money and if they spent that kind of money, they would surely tout it on the box. No, the seals are simply meant to keep non-pressurized liquids and dust from invading the internals.

Rain shower - yes
Ice storm - sure can (done it)
Humid Jungle - yeppers
Dust storm - probably ( though AW lenses and DA* supposedly designed specifically for this while WR I don't think are)
Any form of pressurized water submersion - No way Jose!

The Manual for my K-5 IIs says to wipe off any excess water or snow when using the camera. Avoid salt and high humidity(such as a Florida beach) .

09-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I killed my k3 and Fa 77 yesterday. I know the 77 is not WR. I was walking in waste deep water. You can pretty much finish the story but I tripped. Camera went in for quick dunk. Water was in the lens and I was surprised to see the places where the water was in the camera. Camera dead and water inside the lens. Not happy. I'm very careful with my equipment but this was like walking down the street and tripping. My question is can the lens be cleaned to get the water out. It has pretty much dried now but has dried water spots which I'm sure will affect the picture
I would try to put the lens and the camera in a giant bag of rice and then monitor it.
09-08-2015, 04:59 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I would try to put the lens and the camera in a giant bag of rice and then monitor it.

thanks ..trying it but even if the lens dries out it will have dried droplets inside that will need to be cleaned
09-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I am a avid timepiece person and I know that there are pressure testing done to the watch to test it's water resistance. I was wondering if there was a way to test DSLR without bringing it to the source of destruction, water. Like anybody ever attempted to pressure test DSLR? Or know any other way to test the WR?
Dont't!

LoneWolf