Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to test water resistance of our DSLR without risk

I am a avid timepiece person and I know that there are pressure testing done to the watch to test it's water resistance. I was wondering if there was a way to test DSLR without bringing it to the source of destruction, water. Like anybody ever attempted to pressure test DSLR? Or know any other way to test the WR?

08-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, the reverse of getting water in is seeing if it can get out. It's how I test my rain jackets.
08-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In theory, you could put the camera in a pressure vessel at say 1.5 atmospheres (5.15m immersion) and chart the drop of vessel pressure compared to a non-WR body.

Steve
08-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

I don't think the WR DSLRs, lenses and flashes are intended to be immersed in water. Maybe at most dropped or set down in a puddle of water. Does the "W" stand for water or weather? If they wear meant to be immersed they would probably have some water resistance rating on them - in meters, bars or atmospheres.

I seem to recall the the WR was considered compromised if an external microphone was plugged in. Although it was unclear of whether that meant only while the mic was attached or if the weather seal had to be replaced each time the jack was used.

08-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a modified body cap with a wr gasket and a connector for an air hose could be used to pressurize the camera at maybe 1 or 2 psi and then the rate of leakage could be measured or the camera could be placed in a smoke filled chamber to pinpoint leaks visually.
08-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

As it has been mentioned, I have always understood that our cameras and certain lenses are weather resistant or weather sealed. To me, that means getting caught in a shower, wind kicking up dust, a little snow, etc won't cause any harm. I think it's always good practice to protect the camera and lenses from the weather. I have never carried my camera out in the open in rain. That's what camera bags are for. That said, all of my cameras have been wet at times. I would never "test" my camera by getting it wet. Also, it would be good to keep in mind that with age, weather sealing will loose some of it's sealing properties.
08-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

We could always put the DigitalRev guys up to some water immersion tests. They did freeze a Canon into a block of ice one time.

08-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't think the WR DSLRs, lenses and flashes are intended to be immersed in water. Maybe at most dropped or set down in a puddle of water. Does the "W" stand for water or weather? If they wear meant to be immersed they would probably have some water resistance rating on them - in meters, bars or atmospheres..
The "W" stands for Weather Resistant, and sometimes they advertise that as drip proof. I think you are spot on about a rating if immersion was intended. It's not meant to be immersion resistant. I have used my K-30, K-50, DA18-135WR, and DA* 300 in all kind of rain and stow. Even in a hard rain there's really little pressure on the seals. I would think the water would have to "pool" on a seal to create pressure to break it, maybe holding a zoom front element up or something like that. I would guess most failures are from a seal being seated improperly in the manufacture, defective in its own manufacture, or somehow deteriorating from a chemical or age. These are only my theories, I have no way to prove or disprove them.

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
We could always put the DigitalRev guys up to some water immersion tests. They did freeze a Canon into a block of ice one time.
Kind of like this:

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
08-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I put mine under the tap set to a very low flow rate.
08-26-2015, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I wait until I need to test it to the point of failure which is hopefully never.

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 08:03 PM ----------

This guy did it though (I remember watching this vid a few years ago - found it easily just now)

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 08:07 PM ----------

I did however do a series of shots in the pouring rain (went out *because* it was pouring rain) a little while back. I had an umbrella but did not have it open more than half the time...and it was POURING indeed as you can probably tell from this shot from the series. This was the K-3 and 50-135/2.8 - both ticked right along and have been fine since. I did towel dry them when I got home - they were VERY wet (as was I) - drenched in fact.

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 08:09 PM ----------

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 08:10 PM ----------

08-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
a modified body cap with a wr gasket and a connector for an air hose could be used to pressurize the camera at maybe 1 or 2 psi and then the rate of leakage could be measured or the camera could be placed in a smoke filled chamber to pinpoint leaks visually.
Hmmm. We're concerned with keeping something OUT of the camera, rather than keeping something IN. The seals might be very effective in one direction, so to speak, but not in the other. Of course, YMMV.
08-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Hmmm. We're concerned with keeping something OUT of the camera, rather than keeping something IN. The seals might be very effective in one direction, so to speak, but not in the other. Of course, YMMV.
i haven't inspected every seal in every pentax camera, but none of the ones i've seen so far have been designed that way. testing the seals with both compressed air and suction would cover that possibility though. just skip the trick with the smoke when using suction.
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q. How to test water resistance of our DSLR without risk?

A. Use someone else's camera.
08-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #14

I went to an indoor water park and got my K-50 soaked. It was close or maybe worse than this Wata fest video
08-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last month I dunked my K-50 and 18-135mm WR in the ocean and got splashed with powerful waves...see picture below while the evil wave was attacking us. Both still work excellent. I did have to clean the crystallized salt and sand off of the lens and camera the next day, especially from the little nooks and crannies and the underside of the camera.

There was salt in the focus and zoom rings of the lens - between all those square nubbies - that had to be cleaned off with a wet paper towel the next day. And the lens did have a B+W filter on it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo