Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's funny to me because though I absolutely understand the reasoning behind this discussion and agree that if possible it could be quite convenient if it worked this way but I guess I just don't care. Or rather (that isn't the right word) .... I suppose I don't really have any interest in engineering any more "convenience" into the older glass. If you want a 50mm that works in this way (and far better) then pick up a modern 50mm. I just don't find much merit into shoehorning a solution for a 50 year old piece of a glass that I'm just happy I can see an image through at all on a modern DSLR.

I'm also struck by the fact that I've been spending more and more time with cameras (older film cams) that are *anything* but convenient, but somehow much more of a joy to shoot with for me. The Franka I've been fiddling with (and just got some stellar results with) has an uncoupled RF system and everything must be set and/or guessed separately, right down to cocking the shutter (uncoupled from the winder).... So I suppose, more and more to me, the Green button feels like a control in a stealth fighter comparatively whenever I return to using it, let alone AF points and on and on...

Hopefully this doesn't sound dismissive - it just struck me suddenly as to why a part of me kept rolling my eyes at this thread - but don't mistake that for lack of appreciation for the desire/idea. I just feel that everything has it's time and place and application and can be appreciated for what it is.

08-28-2015, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what I would like. The option to disable auto aperture when using the M/K series in LiveView. I think it should default to stopped down aperture metering at that point. At which point it works just like the many mirrorless cameras out there (or M42 for that matter!)

I honestly think this is simple and easy to implement fix that would bring a lot of ease of use to the lenses but I could be completely misunderstand how the aperture level is actuated - doing that might add significant battery drain - perhaps they could engineer this into the next cameras in a way that allowed the aperture linkage to be retracted on demand in a way that didn't eat batteries.

Going further - being able to choose stopped down (all the time) metering would be OK for M mode on the optical viewer as well - you'd use it like an M42 - open wide focus, dial down the aperture dial take the shot.
08-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Here's what I would like. The option to disable auto aperture when using the M/K series in LiveView. I think it should default to stopped down aperture metering at that point. At which point it works just like the many mirrorless cameras out there (or M42 for that matter!)
That would be a good option though it might be a little power intensive.

Steve
08-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be a good option though it might be a little power intensive.

Steve
In the current bodies I would think so. But a change could be made to the next gen bodies to make it possible with little power investment. Imagine if the aperture lever retracted on demand to a locked position.