Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes. In Australia we reckon seasons by calendar month. Summer is Dec-Feb, Autumn March-May, etc. As a professional astrophysicist, I'm totally aware that some northern hemisphere countries start their season at the equinoxes and solstices, but for the life of me, I can't see the logic in winter STARTING at the solstice rather than being centred then.

This month-related definition for the seasons is actually more in line with the weather patterns in most parts of the world (including Australia) than is the solstice/equinox definition.
In the UK Clothing stores often ingnore both, generally starting to sell warm clothing in the summer (which we actually have had on some days this year) and light weight clothing when it is cold and wet. Its a bit of pain as the real practical weaknesses in your wardrobe, especially in cold weather, often appear when clothing stores deem you should be buying for a different climate.They say you should think ahead but even thinking from day to day at times this year has had its hazards. London, where I suspect many marketing managers and buyers reside, clearly has not adjusted to the effects of global warming in the UK, which is manifesting itself with increasing differences of climate in the North and South of the UK annd often also between the East and West.

Fortunately most digital Pentax Cameras are all seasons at all times of the year (which is not entirely unknown on some days in many places here). Clothing stores should take a lead from them. Many first timeTourists would certainly benefit from this, not realising the need to cater for more than one season in their luggage (just in case) when holidaying in this wonderfully photogenic country, especially in rural areas, North of Brmingham (other approximate latitudes welcome). Just get away from the cities and large towns unless you are interested in urban architecture, archtectural detail (do not forget to look down as well as up), street scenes and city life etc..

08-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm totally aware that some northern hemisphere countries start their season at the equinoxes and solstices, but for the life of me, I can't see the logic in winter STARTING at the solstice rather than being centred then.

This month-related definition for the seasons is actually more in line with the weather patterns in most parts of the world (including Australia) than is the solstice/equinox definition.
In Germany the 'official' beginning of summer is the solstice, but for any practical purpose no one cares. We consider summer to start in early June and to end in late August/early December, because that's when the weather is summer-like. In the UK the Metoffice uses the meteorological definition too.
08-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

OT ..... much?
08-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
OT ..... much?
deleted my post because of your concern. still learning the ropes. didn't know were not allowed to veer off topic as part of the conversation.

Last edited by Murfy; 08-29-2015 at 03:15 PM.
08-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #20

Thanks for the leads.

I just ordered the DA 40mm f2.8 limited for $310 (AUD) as my first new prime to go with my K-3.
08-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a beautiful lens. Very even sharpness across the frame, and very discreet. I hope you enjoy it.
08-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It's a beautiful lens. Very even sharpness across the frame
My views too. I love that little pancake.
But if you like the DA 40, next you will want the DA 70, then the DA 21, then the ...