Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Pentax K3 - One Tough Camera

Over the last couple years I have come back to photography as a hobby and quickly started a new Pentax collection. I specifically like the durability and WR/dust resistant aspects of the system as I typically like to keep it in my kayak, canoe or at the lake where it's always exposed to splashing, wind and sand etc. I didn't want to have to worry all the time like the others , putting it carefully away between pictures where I just leave my Pentax on on bottom of the canoe ready to go.

Well the other day I found out how great of a camera the K3 is. I was climbing up a steep loose shale embankment with my family. While holding onto a rope with both hands I continued climbing I see my K3 unclip from my backpack with the 16-50 lens and start tumbling down like a rock bouncing up then hitting the ground again about a half dozen times. I yelled below fo my wife to lookout but she stretched her hand out a pinned it on the ground before a final plunge into a pile of rock below.

Once I got the camera back thinking the worst I auto focused and took some pictures and to my amazement everything was still working as before. Except for some scratches and dirt that I have to carefully clean

Just thought I would share my story about on of the many great features of Pentax.

08-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad it turned out okay instead of what might have happened.
08-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Glad it turned out okay instead of what might have happened.
That's for sure my first concern was for nobody below to get hit by the camera. Fortunately we were far enough apart that there was time to react to get out of the direct path. The K3 with the 16-50 lens is heavy and solid like a rock and could seriously hurt someone. Luckily nobody got hurt and the camera never took its final plunge
08-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm impressed. I can imagine your heart sinking as you see it tumbling towards your family. I'm glad it turned out okay!

08-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Now that could be turned into an add.

A picture of your camera right after the fall happened with the liner underneath saying "Built like a tank but still takes great pictures. Pentax"

I could see that in a magazine.
08-30-2015, 02:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it (and you) survived!

Mine survived an accidental trip to the bottom of a mountain river - the non-water resistant, non-Pentax lens didn't though.

Took it months to dry out and I bought another K3 in the meantime, so I now have two!
08-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Reading through your post I can almost see the horror scenario unfold. Glad your gear is still ok!

I wouldn't want to leave it exposed in a canoe though. I was canoeing with a few friends a while ago, and we tipped over. Don't think the K-3 would have survived that so easily.

08-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Reading through your post I can almost see the horror scenario unfold. Glad your gear is still ok!

I wouldn't want to leave it exposed in a canoe though. I was canoeing with a few friends a while ago, and we tipped over. Don't think the K-3 would have survived that so easily.
Actually it might. Check Heie's post from the Afghanistan shower stall from a few years ago.