Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a very nice Minolta Dynax 3xi, and it served me well. I even bought a tele zoom and eventually a superzoom (28-200 Tamron, I think) for it. It worked great, took really lovely pictures, and served me well. But part of me wanted to know what an old MF camera was like. I ended up with a P50T. Less than a year later, I ditched the Minolta for a pittance.

When I finally went digital, I originally went Nikon. Yes, it was a bridge camera, but it took OK pictures and even video, and it had the highest megapixels of anything in the store (a whole EIGHT). It even had an adapter to put on microscopes (very valuable to me). Hey, I was a digital noob; I confess it.

Then it got pinched, and my replacement options per the insurance company were all DSLRs, and some of them were Pentax - *Ist-DL and *ist-DL2 were the main options. They didn't have the -2 when I made my choice so I settled for the -DL. Two LESS megapixels, but after a short time with the camera I no longer cared. And of course when the *ist-DL turned up its digital toes, the only choice was another Pentax. I have since added two film bodies and too many lenses. Hopefully the K-5 will last long enough for the full-frame to become affordable, though it will be difficult not to consider replacement with another (albeit secondhand) K-5.

09-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Well, here in México PENTAX is almost totally unknown, when I was a teenager a friend lend me his K1000 for a trip, then I bought a Canon F1 (that was in the 90's I learned phography in this camera that was older than me)

Then I quit it for years, at least having a real camera, but when I decided to go digital I bought a Nikon D3000. It was nice, was my first experience and made decent photos. But I hated it cant do video. I was happy with my brand choice, and then one day I was in vegas and.... I saw her... A beautiful KX white and black... As soon I got to my hotel room, I looked for her on amazon, and started to read reviews, thats when I found all the "underdog" brand stuff, and that PENTAX do great equip on a fair price so. I sold my used Nikon and with the same money bought a new KX.

Never looked back, it was my companion for 2 years, then I sold it ang got a K30 white... 2 years and.... Yesterday I bought a K-S2... Im soooooo excited!

Ah yeah, didnt dig the white K-S2, so I went full black.

Last edited by Bringass; 09-08-2015 at 09:16 AM.
09-06-2015, 02:00 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
... They ALL have compromises (i have been in enough that i know this first hand). If i was a wedding photographer or a sports shooter I would go Canon. If i was landscape shooter, i would get a D810. If i was a street shooter, i would get an Olympus. Pentax I consider a jack of all trades, but not really a master of any...
This is the reason, why I need the Pentax system.
Video capability is the only real price you have to pay by choosing Pentax... but I hope that one day, the Pentax finds also even one (!) engineer, who would be able to improve the entire system's weakest link.
09-07-2015, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting topic. Reading your stories kicked in my memory drive into overdrive and I found myself digging through the pile of cameras I had and how did I end up with K3II.
Going back to 1978 when I was using Russian Smena 8, walking through the streets of small town in Croatia, taking every day street shots and rush back home to develop my BW Orwo film in my mum's laundry / studio. That was beginning. After that I spent my whole monthly apprentice wage to buy Zenit EM. My dad never new why was I walking to work and wouldn't catch the bus. All money went into Zenit.
1985 came to Australia and after few film cameras ( Yashica FX-D, Pentax SF-7 and Nikon F50) the digital era knocked on my door. My first digital was Panasonic LUMIX. Followed by couple of Olys and then first DSLR...... Olympus E30.. Lovely camera. Nice colours, fine ergonomics and built but bit noisy as soon as you go over ISO800. Replaced it after year or so with Canon 30D. Fits in a hand like a glove but did nothing for me. No excitement using it. So Nikon time came. D7000. Several good lenses and very good AF. Used it a lot with Sigma 120-400 taking shots of my son, the goal keeper. Couldn't really fault it. Was good for my needs but after I tried out a Fuji X-Pro1 I realised that Nikon was commercial product and not a photography tool built with a photographer in mind. Sold all of my Nikon gear and bought Fuji X-Pro 1 and Fuji X-10.with a few primes I still believe probably best sensors and manual controls out of any prosumer camera. Focus was too slow and I was bIt silly so I looked around and discovered Sony A7 and A6000. I still have those two with 6-7 lenses and I can tell you that results are on par if not better then Fuji. Very customisable and once you set it to your liking they are lovely to use. Manual focus with peeking is accurate and breeze to use. Detailsand dinamic range, especially on FF is next to none. EVF was not my cup of tea but I soon learned that it is easier to use them OVF in lot of situations, specially low light and manual focusing. There is only one thing...Sony also feels plasticy and with no soul. Does everything right for me but Hay... It is more commercial, mass production baby than a camera you want to caress and play with. That led me to K52s and soon to be replaced by K3II. Limited edition lenses a dream. Weather sealing and build are best by country mile. Ergonomics and layout are so sexy and real camera like. Colours are beautiful. And it has a soul. When you hold it in your hands, you believe that it was built especially for you and you only. Not for averyone and anyone. Few things in my opinion are not up to the top notch as ....AF tracking, manual focus in dim light and should have couple additional customisable buttons on offer. But that aside , they are cameras I finally fell in love with. As for the others, Fuji is probably right there at the top. Sonys are excellent product with excellent results but no soul. Canon and Nikon are mass market gadgets while Oly and Panasonis are very good in my opinion but not match to Pentax and Fuji at least in falling in love department.
BTW Pentax has an A+++ FORUM.
Regards,
Zeljko

Last edited by zeljko_pentax; 09-07-2015 at 04:23 AM.
09-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote

Pentax, in my mind, is the best bang for the buck for build quality, IQ and optical quality.
Always has. I also factor in compactness.
09-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #21

I switched from a Canon XSi to a Pentax K50 after looking at various Canon and Nikon models. I really liked the sensor on the Nikons, and the promise of better dynamic range and better low light performance. But I knew I would be frustrated by the controls on the lower end 3xxx and 5xxx models and couldn't afford the more advanced models. While the controls of the Canon T5i were similar to whatI already had, I wasn't sure about the specs and the price (even used) was more than I wanted to pay. So I got out of the Canikon box and started researching other brands. Pentax seemed to have everything I was looking for. I got the K50 in July and have been working to improve my skills. I love how it handles and have been happy with it so far. I don't mind being different and love a good deal, so Pentax is a good fit for me.
09-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
Video capability is the only real price you have to pay by choosing Pentax...
It's not that high a price for me. When I want video, which is rarely, I have dedicated tools to get it. My DSLR is a replacement for my film camera - still images only.
09-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's not that high a price for me. When I want video, which is rarely, I have dedicated tools to get it. My DSLR is a replacement for my film camera - still images only.
I agree with you. I do not do much if any video so still quality is what I am after and I get it from my K3 in spades.

However, there is one caveat for people who shoot video and photos on a regular basis. The promise of one camera doing both is very tempting and much desirable. Not having to bring two systems on the road is a major plus. In my opinion, currently, only Sony offers that level of quality in both areas. Canon and Nikon as good as they are in video, are no match for Sony's long heritage in video which eventually trickled down to their still cameras. Unfortunately Pentax is lagging behind everyone in the video department.

09-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I agree with you. I do not do much if any video so still quality is what I am after and I get it from my K3 in spades.

... Unfortunately Pentax is lagging behind everyone in the video department.
Except Fuji, Pentax is way ahead of Fuji wit video and flash.