Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #151
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Exact same thing happened to me...K85 the 50/1.2 then 30/2.8 ....resistance is futile!
You have three wonderful lenses. Enjoy! *

* I am.

09-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #152
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
More: Dudes - it's just a decision. Nobody wins - nobody loses.

I'm buying many legacy K-series lenses with the money I had set aside in my PayPal account to pre-order the FF. After this last week of lens-gorging I'll have to wait another year. Does that make monochrome, Mr. 'Ricoh has a Plan' a bad guy - a turncoat, false prophet, a Luddite? Eh. I'll have a boatload of fun using the lenses instead of a boatload of fun using one camera, so I don't care. I have another windfall coming next year - I'll buy it then.

I don't want an A7 at all. No argument, no specifications, no magic jpeg conversion algorithm, no web image, no print, nothing will convince me to WANT to mount an adapter on an ergonomic MX, mount my lenses on the adapter, manually focus them with an EVF to my eye (all of them - even my Limiteds) - and have Sony on the front to boot.

I especially don't want to be associated with Sony.

I don't want it. Simple. It isn't better than the K-3. I won't enjoy using it.

What? Nope. Doesn't matter. I don't want it.
But the A7 smells like Strawberries. They just don't put it in the specs
09-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I take this as you don't know the answer to my question. My Pentax 50/1.2 is not huge at all and I use it very often it's my go to lens for most of my work.
This image: House was dimly lit and I didn't want to use flash because of baby. Hes lit by window covered with blinds. Shes lit by single chandleir 8ft away

OooH inside Cold War submarine no way I could have gotten this shot without my 1.2
I have to say, I don't have a single image of the type you posted. So while I'm happy to say, I'm sure the A7 is great for you, I'm also sure it's pretty irrelevant to most Pentax shooters.
09-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #154

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
More: Dudes - it's just a decision. Nobody wins - nobody loses.

I'm buying many legacy K-series lenses with the money I had set aside in my PayPal account to pre-order the FF. After this last week of lens-gorging I'll have to wait another year. Does that make monochrome, Mr. 'Ricoh has a Plan' a bad guy - a turncoat, false prophet, a Luddite? Eh. I'll have a boatload of fun using the lenses instead of a boatload of fun using one camera, so I don't care. I have another windfall coming next year - I'll buy it then.

I don't want an A7 at all. No argument, no specifications, no magic jpeg conversion algorithm, no web image, no print, nothing will convince me to WANT to mount an adapter on an ergonomic MX, mount my lenses on the adapter, manually focus them with an EVF to my eye (all of them - even my Limiteds) - and have Sony on the front to boot.

I especially don't want to be associated with Sony.

I don't want it. Simple. It isn't better than the K-3. I won't enjoy using it.

What? Nope. Doesn't matter. I don't want it.
Adapters are a pain. I will agree. Since I had mine break and I had spent all my money on lenses, my poor little A5000 got so much dust in it I could only use my 50mm at 1.7 or dust would show up lol. But I do like the Sony Ergonomics and feel of an old film camera. Pentax Big grips are awesome on DSLR's but the flat profile of an old school K1000 is the best. Thats just me

09-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #155
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Adapters are a pain. I will agree. Since I had mine break and I had spent all my money on lenses, my poor little A5000 got so much dust in it I could only use my 50mm at 1.7 or dust would show up lol. But I do like the Sony Ergonomics and feel of an old film camera. Pentax Big grips are awesome on DSLR's but the flat profile of an old school K1000 is the best. Thats just me
Ziplock bag the ones you dont use much or keep them on your fav lens with a cap..tip: pentax caps fit nicely on E mount bayonet
09-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #156

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ziplock bag the ones you dont use much or keep them on your fav lens with a cap..tip: pentax caps fit nicely on E mount bayonet
Nice to know. Have you used the video on the A7ii. I looked at that because its only another $100 and you get 5 axis IS. The A7R still seems cool but IS is necessary since I have used the K5 so much now shooting at 1/15 with a 135 prime. I don't think my hands are steady enough without IS lol
09-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #157
Pentaxian

I take this as you don't know the answer to my question. My Pentax 50/1.2 is not huge at all and I use it very often it's my go to lens for most of my work.
This image: House was dimly lit and I didn't want to use flash because of baby. Hes lit by window covered with blinds. Shes lit by single chandleir 8ft away

OooH inside Cold War submarine no way I could have gotten this shot without my 1.2
Or a tripod or monopod. Your 50 ƒ1.2 is only a half stop better than the 55, 1.4, so, no, I'm not buying it.

Shot in a bat cave, at Birdland in Niagara falls, i'm guessing considerably darker than your submarine. I guess I should say, I don't need an A7 or ƒ1.2 to get the kind of image, but I guess you do.

A little 1000 ISO 50 ƒ1.7 for you, had held at 1/20s.

Taken in the same room, a darkened room about the same light as the bats room... Pentax K-5, at 6400 ISO and ƒ5.6, notice the awesome DoF.

Because you are a portrait guy I understand your reliance on narrow DoF type images and fast lenses. But saying you have to have ƒ1.2 and FF to get that type of image or even a decent low light image.... well, whatever.

You do, I don't. we'll leave at that.

It's Ok to say what works for you, guessing what others can do, based on your reliance on certain pieces of equipment.... maybe you should let others speak for themselves.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2015 at 08:31 PM.
09-09-2015, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to say, I don't have a single image of the type you posted. So while I'm happy to say, I'm sure the A7 is great for you, I'm also sure it's pretty irrelevant to most Pentax shooters.
Heres the some types of imgs I shoot. I bet there are more than a few that are relevant to Pentaxians

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 11:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Nice to know. Have you used the video on the A7ii. I looked at that because its only another $100 and you get 5 axis IS. The A7R still seems cool but IS is necessary since I have used the K5 so much now shooting at 1/15 with a 135 prime. I don't think my hands are steady enough without IS lol
I was at a vintage camera sale and chatted it up with a guy that showed me video he shot by hand on one and it looked like he used a pro dolly. so smooth.

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 11:56 PM ----------

Taken in the same room, a darkened room about the same light as the bats room... Pentax K-5, at 6400 ISO and 5.6, notice the awesome DoF.
This one is iso 6400 f3.5 on a 1974 Nikkor 2.5/105 1/125th sec whats yer point.....with those bat/owl pics you should set the mood by dropping your EV 1 or 2 stops or chimp it

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 11:59 PM ----------

Because you are a portrait guy I understand your reliance on narrow DoF type images and fast lenses. But saying you have to have 1.2 and FF to get that type of image or even a decent low light image.... well, whatever. You do, I don't. we'll leave at that.
Im a photographer the only thing I dont shoot are Squirrels or Empty Train Tracks

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 09-10-2015 at 04:40 PM.
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #159
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As so many other speculative threads, this has become an exercise in fabulous pontificating Until we actually HAVE a Pentax FF I fail to understand the value of this and so many other threads like it.
Well said. A waste of time and resources. The number of "experts" here is truly mind boggling.
09-10-2015, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #160
Loyal Site Supporter

Most people will get full frame because they want it and they have the money. End of story. That's why I will get it.

There is no doubt that full frame is better in certain respects than APS-C, but APS-C is pretty good right now too. For folks shooting for hobby purposes, APS-C high iso is probably adequate. I have shot iso 6400 on K3 and K5 and it is OK with some noise reduction, as long as you don't want to print huge. I don't personally see the fascination with super-shallow depth of field. I look at the "all shots at f1.2" thread and think about how most of them would have been better stopped down a little. Oh well, to each his own...
09-10-2015, 04:53 AM   #161
Site Supporter

Here's to F1.2 and f32 your not always needed, but your there when I need you.
09-10-2015, 05:11 AM   #162
Veteran Member

The way you guys should think of FF vs APS-C is like this... imagine both are screwdrivers. One is flat head and one is phillips head. They both do similar work but you use them in different situations.
There is room for both in your bag... the end!

If you want to keep on showing off your pictures, there is plenty of room here: Post Your Photos! - PentaxForums.com... or even here: Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com (I see a few that could use a little bit of improvement ). Showing off your pictures to prove ff or crop is better... WILL NOT GET YOU ANYWHERE!!!

09-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's to F1.2 and f32 your not always needed, but your there when I need you.
I guess.

I just see an awful lot of tiny bit of the stamen in focus shots or, one eye in focus shots and I feel like that look has sort of played out. I don't think the majority of f1.2 shots are done for low light purposes.
09-10-2015, 05:46 AM   #164
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess.

I just see an awful lot of tiny bit of the stamen in focus shots or, one eye in focus shots and I feel like that look has sort of played out. I don't think the majority of f1.2 shots are done for low light purposes.
Yeah there is a time and place for it that's what I just tried to state in a light hearted way.

---------- Post added 09-10-15 at 08:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
If you want to keep on showing off your pictures, there is plenty of room here: Post Your Photos! - PentaxForums.com... or even here: Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com (I see a few that could use a little bit of improvement ). Showing off your pictures to prove ff or crop is better... WILL NOT GET YOU ANYWHERE!!!
I think images are relevant to this discussion..cameras make video and images that's it.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 09-10-2015 at 06:06 AM.
09-10-2015, 06:06 AM   #165
Pentaxian

What is is incredible to me is that you take a lot of images you say Pentax fans would be interested in taking, and then post a long series of photos, of which there are thousands of photos posted on this site, as good or better. I'm not really sure what your point is. Your claim that you have images that couldn't have been taken with anything but an ƒ1.2 lens is still completely unsupported, although I will concede there is a small window there where there are a few images of the type you post, that cannot be done on APS-c, in tight quarters with available light, blah, blah, blah, but there are also images where DOF is critical and the extra magnification of a K-3 are critical, and you simply can't get the same image with an A7r. The K-3 provides more DoF in low light images. These are the kinds of technical issues that help folks understand A7r or K-3, but, you are going to give up something to get something.

Over stating the usefulness of one while ignoring the usefulness of the other is simply propaganda, whatever that technical ability was that you gained as part of your photography changing formats, you lost in another part. So folks are left with a compromise, whether they shoot A7r or K-3. All you've said is what you give up with an APS_c camera is stuff that isn't that's important to you. For most of us who have selected APS-c, our choice of compromises goes the other way.

And if you really want to start a "lets all criticize each others images thread, as above, post it elsewhere, you said I needed ƒ1.2 to shoot in low light. An absolute fabrication and you're dead wrong. I post a few images showing you're wrong, and you unload on the images. Well your flower shots were perhaps some of the worst flower images I've seen posted on the forum. Learn how to keep your subject in focus dude. For guys like me, a shot like that is a total failure, and an argument as to why people with little artistic vision shouldn't go any where near the edges of photography, like Narrow DoF..There are thousands of shots on the forum posted here that are better than those you posted. You really need to get over yourself. I like your stuff, but you aren't god, and you can learn to listen to what others are saying without ripping into them. The fact that your images are taken with narrow DOF to obliterate a background you couldn't control, doesn't mean they are good. Although, it might mean they are the best you could do. Some guys learn to incorporate the background into the images, and some guys use backdrops, it's just one approach among many, and while you may worship it, others may not. Personally I find it tacky. When you first posted those shots, I refrained from commenting on them, I cut you some slack. Your arrogance has removed that restraint.

Next time you unload on me with both barrels, under the guise of discussion, expect both barrels back, it goes both ways.

The actual title of the thread is A7R vs Pentax FF. The only currently known disadvantage to the Pentax FF compared to the A7R. is the Pentax isn't out yet. All your trashing of APS_c is just your little ego thing going on.

Last edited by normhead; 09-10-2015 at 07:04 AM.