Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, I'm a tall guy - big hands - no problem with a dslr or film era slr. I don't like the A7R because it has no optical viewfinder and because it's too small! I can't hold it properly.
Same size and layout as the film era I enjoy.....pre-AF, Where one hand goes on the lens and one on the body.

08-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Oooh Silver I like that lens you got there. That wonderful 50mm f1.4. I wish I had one of those lol
08-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Same size and layout as the film era I enjoy.....pre-AF, Where one hand goes on the lens and one on the body.
I much prefer something the size of the Nikon Df, sorry!
08-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Now only if it came in silver

08-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #35
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
I like the mirrorless because it allows me to just keep buying every lens ever basically and use all of them and have amazing glass for the whopping highest price of $35. (most I ever paid for a lens Kiron 28-70 macro *well worth it*) but I have yet to use an EVF.
evf vs. ovf is the big question that will remain unanswered, if you wait for still yet another pentax ovf camera.

i shoot the a7r exactly as you outlined above; i have around a dozen cheap adapters, and i've put dozens of lenses on the a7r, no native glass at all... i could have never done any of that with any ovf camera... pick and choose the best glass from any manufacturer, no single company has it all, including canikon.

the a7r, with it's 14.4x evf magnification, is better for mf use than any of the other a7 series cameras, probably even including the a7rii, which is limited to ~12.2x magnification... but of course they all blow away any ovf camera for mf use.

the big problem with cheap wide legacy glass on any companies 36mp ff body is that much of it won't stand up to serious pixel peeping, so regardless of which road you take, i'd suggest looking at what the sony a7 series people have done, and spend the money on proven solutions.

that would include some pentax 28mm primes... then buy a cheap adapter, rent an a7r for the weekend, and judge for yourself.

---------- Post added 08-31-15 at 11:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's strange that you are touting Sony over Pentax for lens selection. The only native telephoto lens for Sony FE is a 70-200mm f4. Pentax has a 70-200 f2.8, 150-500mm f-4-5.6, 300mm f4 and 560mm f5.6, plus numerous third-party choices.
the 560mm f5.6 is $5k at b&h, there is no k-mount 150-500mm f/4-5.6 listed at b&h, and i'm not going to bother looking for the rest of the non-existent glass that's on that list.

what IS available for sony right now are the 150-600mm zooms, $1069 at b&h, they af with adapters, or with cameras like the a7rii, sensor-based af... a7rii is but the first step in that evolution, so even if i get one of those zooms for my a7r, it'll be just that much better with the a9, or whatever the next iteration is.

can any ovf camera do that? and where is pentax on eye-tracking?

currently, there are more ff lenses available right now for a-mount, than there is for k-mount, including f/2.8 zooms... we've counted it up in past threads.

in terms of primes, pentax can't match the pq of the fe55/1.8 and the new fe90, and they will never have a motorized parfocal zoom like the 28-135... not even canikon can do that.

there are options with sony.
08-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
what IS available for sony right now are the 150-600mm zooms, $1069 at b&h, they af with adapters, or with cameras like the a7rii, sensor-based af... a7rii is but the first step in that evolution, so even if i get one of those zooms for my a7r, it'll be just that much better with the a9, or whatever the next iteration is.

a-mount, yes, EF mount no... But I don't think that if I plan for a big teles, I'll choose the form factor of any of the A7. The benefit of smaller/lighter is not as interresting and I'll need to add the A7 grip to make it holdable. A big and fat DSLR will give me more comfort there. And the best AF body are neither the Sony or Pentax FF. That the highend Nikon or Canon.

True but only through adapters that may not be for everyone taste.

In the end I don't think one should buy A7 because of the A-mount adapter and because he want to use A-mount lenses. That's a weakness to need and adapter, not a strength.

One should look into the A7 because it is light the small/light body, because he like what the EVF enable, he want an FF body and so on . Choose it for it's strengths. That what make sense to me.

Then if he is convinced by the strengths of the system, he can see if that acceptable for him to use his current lenses in MF with adapter if they are not FE or A mount or to buy replacement ideally in FE mount directly if available or in A-mount with an adapter.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-31-2015 at 11:58 PM.
09-01-2015, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I like the mirrorless because it allows me to just keep buying every lens ever basically and use all of them and have amazing glass for the whopping highest price of $35. (most I ever paid for a lens Kiron 28-70 macro *well worth it*) but I have yet to use an EVF. I like optical VF's because I have used them the most on either the K1000 or K-5 but EVF seems a bit of a stretch. But one thing I like about sony is that their Video quality is cinema quality and if I ever went back into the video dept. I could have solid still and video camera. But I *heard* 4K video might be a possibility in the FF. So that might get me. Either way if the FF if over 2 grand it is definitely not happening lol. 1300 is a stretch but I know I could swing it.

This is it for me, My K30 is more comfortable to shoot with, but my a6000 has given me far more use as it is just so easy to use manual glass with. My hit rate for nailing focus at F1.2 is nearly 100%, and I love buying old lenses for next to nothing knowing that I can use them easily now. I still prefer OVF, but the Sony EVF with focus assist has bought the fun back into taking pictures. I find myself going for walks more because I have an idea for a shot with one of my cheapo lenses that I want to see if it will work like I think it will in my head.

09-01-2015, 02:38 AM   #38
Veteran Member

It does seem a little odd that the big selling point of the latest and greatest sony is its use for manual focus
09-01-2015, 02:49 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

evf vs. ovf is the big question that will remain unanswered, if you wait for still yet another pentax ovf camera.

i shoot the a7r exactly as you outlined above; i have around a dozen cheap adapters, and i've put dozens of lenses on the a7r, no native glass at all... i could have never done any of that with any ovf camera... pick and choose the best glass from any manufacturer, no single company has it all, including canikon.

the a7r, with it's 14.4x evf magnification, is better for mf use than any of the other a7 series cameras, probably even including the a7rii, which is limited to ~12.2x magnification... but of course they all blow away any ovf camera for mf use.

the big problem with cheap wide legacy glass on any companies 36mp ff body is that much of it won't stand up to serious pixel peeping, so regardless of which road you take, i'd suggest looking at what the sony a7 series people have done, and spend the money on proven solutions.

that would include some pentax 28mm primes... then buy a cheap adapter, rent an a7r for the weekend, and judge for yourself.

---------- Post added 08-31-15 at 11:00 PM ----------

the 560mm f5.6 is $5k at b&h, there is no k-mount 150-500mm f/4-5.6 listed at b&h, and i'm not going to bother looking for the rest of the non-existent glass that's on that list.

currently, there are more ff lenses available right now for a-mount, than there is for k-mount, including f/2.8 zooms... we've counted it up in past threads.

in terms of primes, pentax can't match the pq of the fe55/1.8 and the new fe90, and they will never have a motorized parfocal zoom like the 28-135... not even canikon can do that.

I think he meant the new DFA 150-450 which was released earlier this year.
09-01-2015, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

So....in regard to the OPs question.....so your a pentax user that one month out from some clarity around Pentax's FF position becoming clear, is considering moving to FF something else.....really?

My best guess is that we are all trying to keep ourselves entertained by rehashing the same stuff over and over to pass the next month or so. Why not head over to the single in challenge and spend September taking and posting a photo a day. Probally much more likely to benefit ones photography.....
09-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #41

DigitalRev points out that if Sony follows their previous trends with the A7 that yet another new and improved model will be released in late fall. Late fall is the earliest anticipated release of the Pentax FF.
09-01-2015, 04:10 AM   #42

But one thing I like about sony is that their Video quality is cinema quality
trust me its not, to even get close sdi video out is a must (hdmi output is only 8 bit) or output to cinemaDNG format (not some lossy video compression format)

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
High res is very tough on shooting discipline
its even tougher on the makeup department
09-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
So....in regard to the OPs question.....so your a pentax user that one month out from some clarity around Pentax's FF position becoming clear, is considering moving to FF something else.....really?

My best guess is that we are all trying to keep ourselves entertained by rehashing the same stuff over and over to pass the next month or so. Why not head over to the single in challenge and spend September taking and posting a photo a day. Probally much more likely to benefit ones photography.....
Honestly I posted this to see opinions on it and too see if I should while gathering as much information as I could. I was interested in the Sony because of how cheap it was and that I'm trading some to gear to KEH for about $141 knocking the price down a bit. Granted Pentax FF would be nice but from what I'm hearing thats going to be up in the 2-3 thousand range. I wanted a FF because noise is much nicer and for my night stuff I want to be able to go to 6400 iso with some grain but not have to worry to much about unusability. So I'm going to rent the A7ii and try my lenses on it to see if I have any interest in it and then probably start slowly selling my gear that is not needed so I can keep my K-5 and have A7ii. So it will be about a year process
09-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Honestly I posted this to see opinions on it and too see if I should while gathering as much information as I could. I was interested in the Sony because of how cheap it was and that I'm trading some to gear to KEH for about $141 knocking the price down a bit. Granted Pentax FF would be nice but from what I'm hearing thats going to be up in the 2-3 thousand range. I wanted a FF because noise is much nicer and for my night stuff I want to be able to go to 6400 iso with some grain but not have to worry to much about unusability. So I'm going to rent the A7ii and try my lenses on it to see if I have any interest in it and then probably start slowly selling my gear that is not needed so I can keep my K-5 and have A7ii. So it will be about a year process
Nobody knows the price of the upcoming FF(s)..... it's all waffle and guessing on this forum.....those that may know (Ricoh etc)....definitely haven't said.....for what it's worth.....I'll probally get an A7II in December if Ricoh don't deliver something around a similar price point.....I'm really happy with my K3.... but would like something to use some of my 85mm and wider lenses on.... thats FF.

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-01-2015 at 06:29 AM.
09-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #45
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
a-mount, yes, EF mount no... But I don't think that if I plan for a big teles, I'll choose the form factor of any of the A7.
right now i'm using the clumsy old adaptall-2 60-300... good pq, but could anything be worse for handling than that

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
True but only through adapters that may not be for everyone taste.
there are a *lot* of people who are using adapters, with good results.

for $1069, there is nothing on the pentax platform that is comparable to the 150-600.

so yeah, you can go right ahead and pass on adapters, and with your pentax you'll also pass on any cost-effective ff big teles as well

this is the sony roadmap: "short term goal: a total of more than 20 fe lenses" http://www.sony.net/Products/di/lenses/roadmap.pdf

this is the sony fe glass that's on the market right now:

Sony FE Primes
• Sony FE 28 F2.0
• Sony FE 35 F1.4 ZA
• Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
• Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
• Sony FE 90 F2.8 Macro G OSS

Sony FE Zooms
• Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS
• Sony FE 24-240 F3.5-6.3 OSS
• Sony FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS
• Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS