Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #91

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Time

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
were you able to test the magnify function in the evf, for manual focusing? focus peaking takes some setup time and practice to get the best results.

if "setting effect ON" is set in the menu, you'll see the exposure of the shot before you take it, no ovf camera can do that.

i usually adjust the diopter with the lens cap on, using whatever is displayed on the screen.

---------- Post added 09-04-15 at 08:46 AM ----------

philb made the move to a7rii, here is his feedback after a week of ownership: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/297...ml#post3361507
I didn't really have much time. But I assume if I did have time I would probably have liked it better. I had to get used to the OVF of my pentax because before I used my K1000 I used a Rollei and that was an interesting ovf lol. But given time if the camera takes the shot then I probably wouldn't mind the EVF look. My first dslr had a screen that made me feel like I was shooting film. It was so bad that I would figure that I either got it or I didn't either way it didnt matter. I'll have to call him up and see if I can toy around with it again.

09-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #92
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, edge sharpness and resolution are often over rate aspects of an image...
speak for yourself like that pic tho! cool beans.

36mp is more than just sharpness and resolution, it's also about better dr, latitude, and iso performance... pulling off this kind of a shot with the same lens on my old k10d would have been impossible.

but i could duplicate your boat shot to some extent with the k10d.

09-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #93
Veteran Member

ansel adams always used the best gear that he could get his hands on:

"...A fine craftsman employs different tools for different purposes. Item: one 8 x 10 view camera, 20 holders, 4 lenses -- 1 Cooke Convertible, 1 ten-inch Wide Field Ektar, 1 9-inch Dagor, one 6-3/4-inch Wollensak wide angle. Item: one 7 x 17 special panorama camera with a Protar 13-1/2-inch lens and five holders. Item: one 4 x 5 view camera, 6 lenses -- 12-inch Collinear, 8-1/2 Apo[chromatic] Lentar, 9-1/4 Apo[chromatic] Tessar, 4-inch Wide Field Ektar, Dallmeyer [...] telephoto.

"Item: One Hasselblad camera outfit with 38, 60, 80, 135, & 200 millimeter lenses. Item: One Koniflex 35 millimeter camera. Item: 2 Polaroid cameras. Item: 3 exposure meters. One SEI, and two Westons -- in case he drops one.

"Item: Filters for each camera. K1, K2, minus blue, G, X1, A, C5 &B, F, 85B, 85C, light balancing, series 81 and 82. Two tripods: one light, one heavy. Lens brush, stopwatch, level, thermometer, focusing magnifier, focusing cloth, hyperlight strobe portrait outfit, 200 feet of cable, special storage box for film.

[Ansel's car (a Cadillac) with platform pulls away from camera.]

"Item: One ancient, eight-passenger limousine with 5 x 9-foot camera platform on top."
And Henri Cartier Bresson took almost all his shoot with a Leica range finder and a 50mm. Didn't prevent him to be famous photographer.

Anyway all this gear look ancient compared to the most basic camera today... Doesn't mean everybody take photo as interresting as Ansel adams or Henri Cartier Bresson.
09-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #94
Veteran Member

36mp is more than just sharpness and resolution, it's also about better dr, latitude, and iso performance... pulling off this kind of a shot with the same lens on my old k10d would have been impossible.

Just to say, there visible noise in the sky at 2MP size and the picture look oversharpened (the border of the vehicule have a small sharpening artifact halo). You don't need 36MP for that. While the photo is quite interresting and truly is a great photo, could have been done with a m4/3 just as well and being a bit more carefull with the post processing would have removed the noise in the sky.

09-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely.

Certain types of photography require good auto focus, large dynamic range, etc. Obviously there are plenty of shots that don't require that. I guess you work with what you have and figure out ways around your gear's deficiencies and get different gear if there is no way around it.
09-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #96
Veteran Member

pulling off this kind of a shot with the same lens on my old k10d would have been impossible.
What is the relevance of comparing a 10 year old APS-C camera with a modern full frame one?
09-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #97

you are the one who can't back up what he claims with the gear that he owns.

you tell us that cameras don't matter, but you own at least one pentax.

tell us why that is, hmmm?

you can't explain yourself.
I do not refute any of your specs. I congratulate you on your knowledge of the camera, that's just fantastic.

Take the Challenge and pass it.

Until you and every other spec savvy camera guru can identify what photos came from what camera, then your specs are irrelevant. A good image, is a good image, any shooter knows this. Tech head's are the ones concerned with every number and as I said it irrelevant.

Take the challenge, or just accept the fact that all your specs being as good as they are mean nothing when it is impossible to identify which pic came from which camera.

I haven't seen anyone pass the challenge, it has been done before, many times, to prove points like this. You haven't proven anything to me but the fact that you love your specs and have an unending loyalty to a given camera. (Which is irrelevant)

You haven't made a single relevant point. Sorry.

And since I have unequivocally proven my point, I will call this conversation closed. Best of luck to you. I hope you find all the specs you need to keep you happy for a lifetime

I will state FF is the way to go, no argument from me, and that was never my argument.

Last edited by spiralcity; 09-04-2015 at 02:27 PM.
09-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
I do not refute any of your specs. I congratulate you on your knowledge of the camera, that's just fantastic.

Until you and every other spec savvy camera guru can identify what photos came from what camera, then your specs are irrelevant. A good image, is a good image, any shooter knows this. Tech head's are the ones concerned with every number and as I said it irrelevant.

Take the challenge, or just accept the fact that all your specs being as good as they are mean nothing when it is impossible to identify which pic came from which camera.

I haven't seen anyone pass the challenge, it has been done before, many times, to prove points like this. You haven't proven anything to me but the fact that you love your specs and have an unending loyalty to a given camera. (Which is irrelevant)

You haven't made a single relevant point. Sorry.

And since I have unequivocally proven my point, I will call this conversation closed. Best of luck to you. I hope you find all the specs you need to keep you happy for a lifetime

I will state FF is the way to go, no argument from me, and that was never my argument.
Ridiculous Challenge...Its like writing down the equation:
"If AxB=100 and A=25 then what brand of pen did I write with?"

---------- Post added 09-04-15 at 05:46 PM ----------

Great pic!!
09-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #99

Original Poster
I think the A7 is looking more enticing since I did some quoting on some gear I have and so far my total is at $653 and I still have gear to clear out. Thats more than half an A7. I'm definitely interested now. Might have to sell off some more film bodies but I might be able to do a full trade!
09-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #100
Pentaxian

This is the point I was making when you placed the challenge (facepalm)
09-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Is the car supposed to look as though its been photoshopped into the picture?
09-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Is the car supposed to look as though its been photoshopped into the picture?
It's a technique called "subject backround separation"
09-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
It's a technique called "subject backround separation"
It may well be but is it supposed to look photoshopped?
09-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #104
Pentaxian

It doesn't look Photoshopped it looks Lightroomed
09-04-2015, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #105
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
could have been done with a m4/3 just as well and being a bit more carefull with the post processing would have removed the noise in the sky.
modern m4/3 would have been better than the k10d, but it would have also failed there.

look at the shadow on the front tires... you don't know the lighting conditions nor the settings that i had to use to make it happen... the noise is because it's heavily cropped, i shot it much too loosely, but with 36mp, you have room to make up for mistakes.

can't do that with m4/3, not at all.

---------- Post added 09-04-15 at 03:27 PM ----------

it's a game for noobs who don't understand how cameras work, i'll pass