Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have seen one or two of those, but still not as many as Pentax DSLRs. Huh, interesting. I guess this might be very location-specific.
I have seen Nex and know 1 person that brought one. My father brought recently a K30 as well as 2 other friend. Another one took a Nikon7200 very recently with a sigma 18-35 and tamron 70-300. A colleague brought a m4/3 last year, don't remember if it was panasonic or olympus. 3 year ago ago another collegue brough the cheapest nex.

On the wedding I have been recently I have seen some mirorless, many smarphone, few camescopes. I know nobody that has any sort of FF. Well except if you count the film era FF of my father.

They all want a good camera but none is willing to spent more than necessary on piece of gear. We can say we are all quite wealthy people, working in computer science some are computer scientist other took marketing studies. But we are quite young or at least not old (25-35 years old). There so many things to buy or do that it make no sense to spend much more for a marginal improvement. Almost all people I know are very interrested to visit the world and it is much more important to them to have the money to do so than to be able to take better photo of the nearby brick walls. Several friend married this year, some brought a house... That things that make much more sense to them than a bit better and much more expensive camera.

The girl that took the m4/3 did it on purpose: she took 1 year off to visit big part of south America, and then Asia and Australia. She didn't want to wait 1 year more to have very fancy camera to record that and as she did almost everything walking tooking just a few bus/planes on the occasion it made no sense to have anything bigger/heavier than needed.

In the end it is all a mater of priorities. If I had significantly more money available I would have think of the leica rangefinder or more affordable, the Fujifilm APSC. In the current situation, the price to pay for it isn't worth to cancel my trip to Andalousia in october and to not save to go to Kenya next summer for a Safari (this alone cost as mucg as a FF + 1-2 great lenses).

Priorities ... i don't know many people that dream of a great fancy camera. The one the care the most is me. Even my father that is quite established in life and could pay full FF gear in a eartbeat if he cared see that is has somewhat ok health for now and that it make much more sense for him to do many trips go to see me and my sister often than to spend more on photo gear. He perfectly know what an FF is and what MF lenses are has it still has the gear he brought 40 years ago.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-12-2015 at 03:27 AM.
09-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Ive seen far more sony nex milc and sony dslrs than pentax dslrs. and a couple A7 series
But never any higher end k5 k3 k50 or even the Q series
I think Pentax does a lot better in certain regions, particularly in parts of Asia and Europe. I live in a pretty rural area and most of the "cameras" I see are smart phones. When I am out and about, I usually see a few generations old SLRs (Canon/Nikon). I have only seen a couple Pentax cameras in the wild. It is pretty clear that Ricoh has not worked particularly hard to have much of a presence in the US market. Maybe that will change down the road, but even in Canada, there is much more store presence and sales than here, south of the border.

I do think the A7r II is probably a pretty rare beast -- there can't be many 3000-ish dollar cameras sold of any brand, but I am sure Sony still makes a lot of money on each sale, even if there aren't terribly many sold.
09-12-2015, 03:34 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do think the A7r II is probably a pretty rare beast -- there can't be many 3000-ish dollar cameras sold of any brand, but I am sure Sony still makes a lot of money on each sale, even if there aren't terribly many sold.
I'am not sure on that. Sony is quite agressive on the price of their camera in general if you compare to Canikon. Their lenses are quite expensive and I think they share the model to convince people with good price on cameras and then convince a few of them to spend thousand on lenses with high margin.

This particulary match the A7 serie that is maybe the FF camera that has the least choice in third party and innexpensive lenses of all the manufacturers (except leica maybe). Their business plan is obvious.

Still on theses forum, the one that seems to love their Sony mirorless FF seems to be MF shooter, even if at least one of them take great care to explain how great it would be for AF shooter too.
09-12-2015, 05:01 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting.... I've never seen any A7, recently I saw a Sony dslr....the percentage of Sony A7x type admirers on this site is way out of proportion to the number of even the pro photographers I see in the park. It's still maily Canon and Nikon up here. IN fact, in the Algonquin Park wildlife and landscape crowd, Sony is less popular than Pentax. I'm sure they are popular somewhere, (like here on the internet) just not where I hang out.

It's interesting, the premise of this thread is to compare a camera few strident admirers own, to a camera no one has seen. What exactly was it that was supposed to be discussed? Oh, the A7x... again? IN a Pentax thread again.

Maybe the mods can move this thread to the non-Pentax camera thread. There is no Pentax to compare anything to, so it's only about the A7.

Last edited by normhead; 09-12-2015 at 05:18 AM.
09-12-2015, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have seen one or two of those, but still not as many as Pentax DSLRs. Huh, interesting. I guess this might be very location-specific.
I think a brand becomes more recognizable when you are vested in it.
09-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #216
Pentaxian

I think a brand becomes more recognizable when it's actually present.
09-12-2015, 05:51 AM   #217
Pentaxian

True, if I start to think about buying a certain car model for example, all of a sudden I see them everywhere even though I never noticed them before.

09-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
True, if I start to think about buying a certain car model for example, all of a sudden I see them everywhere even though I never noticed them before.
Ya, that's how aliens walk around unseen among us, no one is looking for them.
09-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #219
Veteran Member

I've seen maybe one other Pentax DSLR in the past three or more years. I've seen a small handful of Sonys in the same time frame. Most recently, I noticed someone with a Sony A7 of some type.
09-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think a brand becomes more recognizable when it's actually present.
I don't think many birders or wildlife enthusiasts would choose Sony, they most likely Canon/Nikon/Pentax. Sony is more of an Landscape and Urban Shooter.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 09-12-2015 at 08:04 PM.
09-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #221
Veteran Member

I don't think many birders or wildlife enthusiasts would choose Sony, they most likely Canon/Nikon/Pentax. Sony is more of an Landscape and Urban Shooter.
Not quite true... as any other pro-ish level camera, it works just fine for birding and wildlife... and anything else you wish to use it for

A7II - 70-200mm G OSS

A7II - Sigma 105mm Macro (k-mount)

A7II - Sigma 105mm Macro (k-mount) - at 2.8, close

A7II - 55mm Zeiss

Last edited by mrNewt; 09-12-2015 at 09:20 PM.
09-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Not quite true... as any other pro-ish level camera, it works just fine for birding and wildlife... and anything else you wish to use it for

A7II - 70-200mm G OSS

A7II - 55mm Zeiss

Noticably on you 4 shoots, I don't count a tree or a child as wildlife. It is more like bears, at the limit squirel (but thoses are easy to find), wild birds in a forest or near a lake...

With all due respect, when they think of birding and wildlife, they think of reach. With 70-200mm max the reach is not that great. Wildlife shooter tend to have at least 300mm in general on APSC (so 450mm on FF) and many birder are after the 150-450, 50-500 or 150-600 kind of lenses.

Even for a safari in Africa where the wildlife is big (elephants, lion, leopard, buffalo, rhinoceros...) it is quite recommended to go up to 300mm on APSC because the wildlife will not be always 5 meters from the car. In some case going too near can mean you risk to be killed by the wildlife too.

There no native lense like that on FE mount, but also the Camera doesn't have exactly the same grip while when you have a 2kg lense the fact that the camera is bit smaller/lighter isn't an argument anymore. Sure one could do it with an adapter to alpha mount, add a grip and then buy the camera, but that would not be the first idea.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-13-2015 at 12:45 AM.
09-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote

A7II - 70-200mm G OSS

A7II - 55mm Zeiss
I know that it excels at wildlife just most enthusiast wouldn't know. The magazines are full of Marlborough men on mountains with cf tripods and big white lenses
09-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #224
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know that it excels at wildlife just most enthusiast wouldn't know. The magazines are full of Marlborough men on mountains with cf tripods and big white lenses

shot this yesterday with the a7r/tamron 150-600mm lens, at 600mm f/7.1, using a monopod.

09-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #225

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well said. OP has K5 A5000 and Medium format film utterly makes sense to move to FF if he feels hes grown to the point of stepping up formats.
I wanted to step up in digital since I'll be moving over into landscapes and such and wide angle is easier on FF than on APS-c. Plus I like the ergonomics of the A7ii and it feels much better than my A5000. Though I like APS-C for doing rapid fire stuff like when I'm in a car or trying to get street stuff. the K-5 kicks butt there and the a7ii seems like it won't.