Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess because they chose to support it in the same manner as in-camera HDR.
Steve
If so, I'd like to say Pentax/Ricoh should consider implications. Since years HDR is a general "standard" where multiple images are computed into one. A lot of software is available for that. On pixel shift this doesn't apply. For me it's not an issue because I don't own a K3 II. For others it could be an issue.

09-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

DNG does have variations and some DNGs cannot be opened with any software older than a few years, whereas e.g. ACDSEE 5 (2004) or Photoshop 7 (2002) open every jpeg or tiff.

Ex-Pentax DNG is readable by everything I have tried, however. It is DNGs from some more recent oddball devices (the Nokia 1020 phone is one) which need stuff like Photoshop CS6 or later. However in the latter case I found that a free Irfanview can open them and batch-convert them.

I would not use DNGs for long term storage, unless you want to go all the way and archive the software to read it with. Then you need to make sure you can always build up an IBM compatible PC running say Windows XP or 7. That should work for at least 10 years... it has worked since 1982 in that you could install winXP on a 1982 IBM PC with some extra RAM on an ISA card

The only formats good for long term storage are jpegs or tiffs, IMHO.
09-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
I use dng right out of teh camera. I have LR store processing data in the dng so i don't have an xmp file tagging along. Almost all of my archives are in DNG. I have considered outputting jpg's but the space required is enormous.
09-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by headmj Quote
I have LR store processing data in the dng so i don't have an xmp file tagging along. Almost all of my archives are in DNG.
This is the most common practice and is a good one* except that it is fully dependent on the ability of future software to both read the DNG (Pentax-flavored) and to interpret the proprietary Adobe processing instructions in the same manner as the original tool.

If you want to fully preserve the results of your development effort, export of a full-resolution 16-bit TIFF with embedded Pro Photo RGB (used by Lightroom's develop module**) is your better bet. Such a file contains all your work in standard-based format.

Steve

* This is what I do...

** Actually a variant of Pro Photo RGB generally referred to as Melissa.

09-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
DNG does have variations and some DNGs cannot be opened with any software older than a few years
This is very true. The DNG specification is currently in its fifth version (1.5.0.0, Sept 2012) since 2004. I am not sure which version Ricoh/Pentax cameras support.

Steve
09-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I believe DNG version supported is in the Pentax DNG exif.
09-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

"Almost all of my archives are in DNG. I have considered outputting jpg's but the space required is enormous."

Even "100% quality" Jpegs are about 1/3 the size of DNGs...

"If you want to fully preserve the results of your development effort, export of a full-resolution 16-bit TIFF"

Very much agree.

However much will depend on whether you are likely to want to edit / further edit your photos in the future. If not (and I suspect that is the case for the vast majority of non-professional users) then save to top quality jpeg.

It's true that "storage is cheap" today but there is a price to be paid for every file being 3x bigger. Even a simple slide show needs a top-spec PC with a top-spec hard drive and with a top-spec video card, and if (like me) you have ~100GB of photos your options for - today's trendy word - "cloud" storage/backup are very limited, in terms of both having to pay $$$ for it and needing a very fast internet connection.
09-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I believe DNG version supported is in the Pentax DNG exif.
I just did a peek and you are correct. Pentax DNG on the K-3 is v1.2.0.0 (May 2008).

Steve

09-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Note to Apple Aperture users:

Aperture handles DNG and PEF files differently. Files with Highlight Correction turned on display correctly in Aperture when recorded in the PEF format but incorrectly when recorded in DNG. The DNG files will display as one stop underexposed (which, technically, they are) but unlike the PEF files, they are not automatically boosted by 1 EV such as Lightroom or any other highlight tag-aware imaging software will do. Of course you can manually do the 1 EV adjustment yourself in Aperture if you record DNG files.
05-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Is there any difference in processing PEFs or DNGs of the K-1 in Capture One 9?
05-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #41

I usually shoot in PEF in my K10D because my computer can show the thumbnails AND I can preview in windows photo, plus Adobe PP and Lightroom don't seem to mind whichever.

For image quality and in-camera performance I think PEF allows camera to write faster.
Not sure, wasn't consistently testing them (different memory cards).
05-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #42
Pentaxian

My cameras have been preset to PEF and I've never changed them since I got them. I've noticed that the K-5II PEF can be displayed by my windows photo viewer. On the other hand, my K-3II PEF files cannot be displayed. I don't know if there's a difference between the K-5II and K-3II PEF files. It's kinda weird since both files are PEF.
05-09-2016, 03:09 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

PEF files do change from camera to camera and unless you always have the latest iteration of software, there are times you won't be able to open them. However, I can open and process DNG files on LIghtroom 5 without any problem. With this in mind, I shoot DNG and not PEF (I haven't seen any difference with regard to actual image processing between the two file types otherwise).
05-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Ok, I'll give DNG a try. I'm not sure if it will he a big deal. By the way, does anyone know why Pentax cameras are preset to PEF?
05-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-50 doesn't even have PEF if I recall things correctly.