Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meeting with Pentax

I will be meeting with the Executives from Pentax this weekend. I have compiled all of the concerns voiced on this Forum regarding the K10D and will present them to induviduals responible for user concerns.

Ben

02-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool, I can't wait for the espresso maker on the K200!! All kidding aside, thank you very much!!!
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #3

That is certainly very positive for owners of the K10D. Good thing both for Pentax and it's user base (us). In the end I think it shows sensibility that Pentax listens to critique and feedback from professional photographers.

In a short note I would like to plug the issue of white balance, the weak auto white balance and presets. I think this for beginners is a critical area. For me it's more of a consern regarding the K100D. My experience is limited, but I've noted that newspapers I've worked for rarely request raw, and that the use of .jpg is part of the fast-paced culture of chasing the deadline (even though I dislike this).
02-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another question, not K10D specific

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I will be meeting with the Executives from Pentax this weekend. I have compiled all of the concerns voiced on this Forum regarding the K10D and will present them to induviduals responible for user concerns.

Ben
Hi Ben,

Everyone's covered the issues, so I saw no need to contribute. Thank you for doing this... !!

Slightly OT: Would it be possible to ask it they have any plans to reintroduce their premium level teleconverters, possibly AF versions?

Or is that for another discussion altogether? ( I am thinking the Pentax-F 1.7x AF, and the 1.4-L, 1.4-S and 2X-S, 2X-S series teleconverters. The image quality is quite good with these units.)

I own several, but the prices due to scarcity is going through the roof, let alone finding one... and that's not good for newcomers....

If this was brought up in a lens-specific thread you started, I've not found it - sorry...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 02-07-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
02-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

How about mentioning the K100D low-battery problem with NiMH rechargeables?
Discussion thread here

Ben
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have anything to ask Ben, just a thank you to both you and Pentax for doing this. I'm eagerly looking forward to you report on this, I realize that you are a working professional and may not get to it right away, but I will be happy to read it whenever it's ready.

NaCl(it is refreshing, in this day and age to find a company that actually listens to it's customers)H2O
02-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This has nothing to do with the K10D (well, not directly) but I really want Pentax to come out with a high-power P-TTL ringlight/ringflash.

I use a manual ringlight for macro product photography and some portraits, but I'd really like to have a powerful P-TTL ringlight to use with the K10D.

My manual ringlight is okay, but P-TTL just makes life easier.

02-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is something I am after too ...

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Ben,

Everyone's covered the issues, so I saw no need to contribute. Thank you for doing this... !!

Slightly OT: Would it be possible to ask it they have any plans to reintroduce their premium level teleconverters, possibly AF versions?

Or is that for another discussion altogether? ( I am thinking the Pentax-F 1.7x AF, and the 1.4-L, 1.4-S and 2X-S, 2X-S series teleconverters. The image quality is quite good with these units.)

I own several, but the prices due to scarcity is going through the roof, let alone finding one... and that's not good for newcomers....

If this was brought up in a lens-specific thread you started, I've not found it - sorry...

Regards,
Marc
Getting teleconverters is a pain, esepecially there is only one pentax autofocus f1.7x teleconverter that is out of production...

I would love 2XL teleconverter being AF as well. That would be a gem to own regardless of the price.

Currently the last 4 pentax f1.7x teleconverter price on ebay have been sitting around 380 US dollars... a bit insane

James
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although there have been complaints of high ISO noise with the k10, I hope if there is any firmware update concerning this that it it would not be at the expense of the awesome details the k10 provides,

would be nice if you could have 2 choices in the menu...... choice one would be high detail like it is, and choice two would be a different alogorithm to tackle some of the noise problems....preferrabley without taking a big hit in details. likely impossible, but would be nice.
the other thing I forgot to meantion last posting is it would be great to have a lot less compression in the jpg format.
pardon the bad spelling

cheers

randy
02-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
This has nothing to do with the K10D (well, not directly) but I really want Pentax to come out with a high-power P-TTL ringlight/ringflash.

I use a manual ringlight for macro product photography and some portraits, but I'd really like to have a powerful P-TTL ringlight to use with the K10D.

My manual ringlight is okay, but P-TTL just makes life easier.
Now I remember what I was going to add.
02-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In business in 08

bold enough to ask them if Pentax branded AND engineered cameras will still be sold in 08, or is Hoya going to chew them up and spit out the "camera division" for scrap? ..... nooooooooo.........

Ben
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Other Issues

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Ben,

Regards,
Marc
Hello Marc;

As it will be the first time I am meeting with the whole Pentax team and as they are coming to film me while doing my photo shoot, I will only have time to address the technical issues related here at this forum. I will print out the observations, verbally discuss them and give them the hard copy. They do seem quite intent on improving their client-manufacturer relations. I'll try to inquire about more peripheral matters at a later date.

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2007 at 06:04 PM.
02-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Embedded noise reduction

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
would be nice if you could have 2 choices in the menu...... choice one would be high detail like it is, and choice two would be a different alogorithm to tackle some of the noise problems....preferrabley without taking a big hit in details. likely impossible, but would be nice.
Actually, it is not impossible.

I was going to make this announcement soon anyway, but why not give you a sneak preview: I have been working over the past four months on a noise reduction algorithm with the main goal to develop a simple and fast procedure suitable for low-level firmware implementation or on-chip hardware implementation (PRIME?), assuring noticeable improvement in noise appearance while preserving both textures and fine details.

Although I am still improving the system, I am pleased with the results so far. Since the algorithm is very efficient and with very low degree of data dependency, my calculations are showing it is possible to easily develop an engine with throughput of over 100 megapixels/second -- enough for 10 FPS with 10MP cameras or over 120 FPS for HDTV applications.

Still work in progress, but here are the results so far: all are 100% crops, no corrections whatsoever during RAW conversion or in Photoshop (all default). Some filters executed as Photoshop filter on RGB images, some of them as standalone ANSI C filter working on demosaiced Bayer's RGGB pattern straight from DNG files (reads DNG and outputs filtered DNG -- that is as close as I can get to the actual sensor). *istDS, all ISO 3200:

-= IVAN =-
02-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My E-Mail to Yazid Belmadi Director of Press Relations

Here is the e-mail I just sent in advance of my meeting, less his e-mail address;

Hello Yazid;

Please find enclosed some of the issues addressed by users at this forum "Pentax Forums". I promised that I would pass the info to you and that you would report back to me as soon as is possible with your company's feedback.

Please read the following threads as they are all very insightful and I am sure the feedback will be appreciated by R&D in Tokyo

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3028-meeting-pentax.html#post24696
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2871-pentax-wish-list.html

Perhaps you can give me a minor report when we see each other on Saturday

Thanks in Advance
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Perhaps you can ask if the k100 and k10 will support a 8GB HCSD card.