Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stolen: K-5IIs with 18-135 WR lens

I was up in Detroit, Michigan for about a week, and the last day I was there, my van was burglarized, and my DSLR was stolen! I know, I know, you don't leave expensive cameras in vehicles in a city like that. I didn't, except for the one day that I did, and of course that day, it disappeared!

Of course I filed a report with the Detroit police, but I must confess that I don't have much faith that anything will come of it. So I thought I'd post here, after all, chances are sooner or later a new "owner" will be on PF.

So, here's the deal: I'm missing 1 Pentax K-5IIs and 1 Pentax 18-135mm WR lens (it was missing the lens hood). It was enclosed in a cheap Opteka "holster" which also had a spare WASABI POWER battery and 16 GB and 32GB SD cards. There was a 32GB SD in the camera as well, with a couple of hundred photos on it. Thankfully, I had a backup of all the photos except for the week there in Detroit. AFAIK, all of my SD cards have contact info in .jpg and .txt format.

According to the Serial # card in the box, the serial number is: 4450129
According to Stolen Camera Finder the serial number is: 4450130 and the internal serial number is 7049947

I'm kind of in a fix now: How long do I wait to see if it might be returned, before I buy something to replace it? If anyone has a cheap K-5II or IIs or 18-135 WR, then they just might make my decision easier.

Last edited by 12345; 08-31-2015 at 09:25 AM.
08-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Got any insurance? Many homeowner's or renter's policies will cover car break-ins.
08-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That sucks. We're crossing our fingers you get it back. Until this is resolved one way or the other, I suppose all buyers of K5-II-s cameras should request a photograph of the serial number. Do you perchance have the serial number of the lens also? The thief may separate the two.
08-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. That makes you feel violated. Camera insurance is cheap. I pay about $110 a year for mine.

08-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That sucks. Sorry to hear. Hope that scoundrel is caught and punished.
08-31-2015, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Got any insurance? Many homeowner's or renter's policies will cover car break-ins.
Nope, no insurance.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Do you perchance have the serial number of the lens also? The thief may separate the two.
Unfortunately, I think the answer is no. I bought it in a kit, so I don't have the box. I don't think I have any photos of it that would show it either.

Thanks everybody, for the kind words! It won't be the end of the world if I never get it back, but it will be about $700! One thing about it, "We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)", so there's a reason that I'm "camera-less", even if I don't understand why or how.
08-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Sorry to hear about this, I know the pain first hand. I suggest that you enter the camera and lens into our serial number database and describe them as stolen. Also mark them as defective so that the serial numbers will stand out in red.

08-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Sorry to hear about this, I know the pain first hand. I suggest that you enter the camera and lens into our serial number database and describe them as stolen. Also mark them as defective so that the serial numbers will stand out in red.
Sorry for your misfortune, but in addition to Ole"s suggestion, 12345, there is a site called Lenstag (https://www.lenstag.com) where you can record the serial numbers of your cameras and lenses in their database, which is worldwide in its scope, and they have already demonstrated that they have been instrumental in recovering stolen equipment and have aided in the prosecution of the thieves.
08-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
I was up in Detroit, Michigan for about a week, and the last day I was there, my van was burglarized, and my DSLR was stolen! I know, I know, you don't leave expensive cameras in vehicles in a city like that. I didn't, except for the one day that I did, and of course that day, it disappeared!

Of course I filed a report with the Detroit police, but I must confess that I don't have much faith that anything will come of it. So I thought I'd post here, after all, chances are sooner or later a new "owner" will be on PF.

So, here's the deal: I'm missing 1 Pentax K-5IIs and 1 Pentax 18-135mm WR lens (it was missing the lens hood). It was enclosed in a cheap Opteka "holster" which also had a spare WASABI POWER battery and 16 GB and 32GB SD cards. There was a 32GB SD in the camera as well, with a couple of hundred photos on it. Thankfully, I had a backup of all the photos except for the week there in Detroit. AFAIK, all of my SD cards have contact info in .jpg and .txt format.

According to the Serial # card in the box, the serial number is: 4450129
According to Stolen Camera Finder the serial number is: 4450130 and the internal serial number is 7049947

I'm kind of in a fix now: How long do I wait to see if it might be returned, before I buy something to replace it? If anyone has a cheap K-5II or IIs or 18-135 WR, then they just might make my decision easier.

A week is plenty of time for those scoundrels to Case your car and you to find out when it will be left alone. I should know my Accura was stolen in NYC a few years ago and although I had taken the camera out of the trunk, they took everything else that was in there including GPS, tools, PC etc.. As a matter of fact they took the whole car !
09-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Thanks @Ole, I've done that!

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
Sorry for your misfortune, but in addition to Ole"s suggestion, 12345, there is a site called Lenstag (https://www.lenstag.com) where you can record the serial numbers of your cameras and lenses in their database, which is worldwide in its scope, and they have already demonstrated that they have been instrumental in recovering stolen equipment and have aided in the prosecution of the thieves.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! I'd heard about Lenstag before, but never thought about it again! I've created an account, and I'm working on getting all my gear registered, and tagging the camera and lens as stolen.
09-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You say no insurance; otherwise, you have no home-owner's insurance, renter's insurance, and finally what about insurance on the car? Possibly one of these might cover the loss.
09-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

First off, sorry for the loss.....

If I'm not mistaken, serial number of the body shows up in EXIF ..... check out other photos you've taken.

Might watch craigslist or even the big auction site....if you see something then notify the local PD and see what they can do.

hope it works out....
09-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
You say no insurance; otherwise, you have no home-owner's insurance, renter's insurance, and finally what about insurance on the car? Possibly one of these might cover the loss.
Hey, I didn't think to try car insurance! But we just called them, and they don't cover it either... Thanks for the idea anyway!

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
First off, sorry for the loss..... If I'm not mistaken, serial number of the body shows up in EXIF ..... check out other photos you've taken. Might watch craigslist or even the big auction site....if you see something then notify the local PD and see what they can do. hope it works out....
The funny thing is, the Serial # on my card, and the Serial # that shows up online are 2 different things! I'm not sure what to make of it! If I drag'n'drop a photo to this website: Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera then I get the same same serial, except that it's one digit different!

According to the Serial # card, the serial number is: 4450129
According to StolenCameraFinder the serial number is: 4450130 ...
I have been keeping an eye on Craigslist, in fact I have it set up to email me whenever someone posts an ad with pertinent keywords.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I guess I'm looking for a "new" camera now...
09-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, I didn't think to try car insurance! But we just called them, and they don't cover it either... Thanks for the idea anyway!
Just be careful they don't try and up your insurance rate now, especially if you mentioned the vehicle was broken in to. If you already made a claim to cover damage to the vehicle from the break in it won't matter.
09-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Forum Member

If you have either homeowners' or renters'/tenants' insurance the camera and lens would be covered under the personal property section. Personal property includes your furniture, electronics, clothing and also the camera etc. Your auto insurance policy does not cover personal property that may be stolen from the vehicle.

Jay

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 05:37 PM ----------

If you have either homeowners' or renters'/tenants' insurance the camera and lens would be covered under the personal property section. Personal property includes your furniture, electronics, clothing and also the camera etc. Your auto insurance policy does not cover personal property that may be stolen from the vehicle. Damage to the vehicle would be covered under the comprehensive coverage as it applies to your vehicle or a vehicle you rented.

Jay