Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard!!

I went Pentax Digital 3 1/2 years ago. Old lenses will work and some of them will really surprise you. My 55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar screw mount lens is as good as you can get today. Going manual is not a bad thing. When I first went auto everything, my image quality went to heck. Way to easy to push the button before fully thinking out the results.
Thats one of the main reasons I enjoy film. I have to stop and think about each shot, instead of mindlessly taking pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Even the Takumars are sometimes too easy, because you can use them in Av mode. Having to push the green button to get your metering right is what really slows you down and makes you think.
Why does only takumar support av mode?

The thing that really slows you down and makes you think is only having limited shots and not being able to preview or delete them. I reviewed a whole bunch of pics I took on a European holiday twenty years ago, firmly in the film era, with a camera which had all the program bells and whistles plus AF. There are very few shots I would have discarded, possibly because I knew I was only going to get one go at any of them (I wouldn't see the pics until long after I left that spot) and I needed to make it count. The best training camera would be a DSLR without the rear screen and with M mode only, so that you had to take the card out (only give the user a 256 or 512MB card to simulate the limited number of shots on a film roll) and look at the pictures on a PC/laptop in order to see what you had done.
hm... thats a good idea. might have to use that idea as a fun excercise.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I noticed the same thing. Having to do more manually usually causes me to notice and adjust both the composition and the settings with better results.
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes, they will and no, you won't.

Basically any current Pentax camera can use almost any Pentax lens (there's one weird early autofocus lens that only matched up with one body, but God only knows how few of those are left and if they even still work). I'm pretty sure I currently have more MF than AF lenses, and a couple of them at least are older than I am.

Na Horuk has already posted the how-to link, but here it is again.
Yea, I was doing some googling last night and got and idea how it works and how you use manual lenses on new DSLRs.

09-04-2015, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bighat Quote
I have to stop and think about each shot
I still do even with a digital you don't have to continually take photos. You need to think before pressing that shutter button.
09-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I still do even with a digital you don't have to continually take photos. You need to think before pressing that shutter button.
Yea, but with digItal it gives you the power to just keep hitting the shutter.
09-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Originally one reason I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K10D was so that I could use my old Takumar and Pentax lenses. In particular my favourite, the A 35-105 Macro zoom.

Well fast forward 7 years and guess how many times I've used any of my old pre digital, Tak or Pentax lenses ?

Hardly at all !

I find I invariably use one of my newer digital Pentax/Sigma lenses.

Primarily, because I like the autofocus....all my film lenses are non AF.

09-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bighat Quote
Yea, but with digItal it gives you the power to just keep hitting the shutter.
Actually even when I shot film, I didn't continually hit the shutter button. But that's what I was saying about digital, I still stop and think before hitting the shutter button.