Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Busiko

CMOS Sensor Design

I found an article which I admit to be of relative interest to some technically inclined photographers.
Could be boring to others.
The link:

The megapixel race: a chip designers point of view - 6/12/2008 - EDN

Regards
Rui

06-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
I found an article which I admit to be of relative interest to some technically inclined photographers.
The link:

Regards
Rui
Tagging!!!
06-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone interested in developments in the CCD and CMOS world (not just for photography) should keep at Photonics.com: Optical, Laser and Fiber Optics Resource from time to time. Their free publication, Photonics Spectra, is an industry reference. As a photonics PhD student, it's one of my main source of information on current state of the art.

There is so much more to CCDs and CMOS than what we see in cameras! Usually, the issue is cost, not capability.
06-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Anyone interested in developments in the CCD and CMOS world (not just for photography) should keep at Photonics.com: Optical, Laser and Fiber Optics Resource from time to time. Their free publication, Photonics Spectra, is an industry reference.......
!!Tagging!!

That reminded me of the course's content about "semi-conductor devices" in my polytechnic student period (long time ago)

In this field, is that still the truth that the picture color quality of CCD's sensor and its "brilliant level" performance better than the CMOS?

CMOS used to be a cheaper solution compared with CCD (mainly due to CCD production yield rate). But CMOS now seemed to be a major candidate on the upper class camera.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-19-2008 at 11:25 PM.
06-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the article is not for photographers, it is just for electronic engineers.

Thanks for sharing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
The link:

Regards
Rui
06-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
!!Tagging!!

That reminded me of the course's content about "semi-conductor devices" in my polytechnic student period (long time ago)

In this field, is that still the truth that the picture color quality of CCD's sensor and its "brilliant level" performance better than the CMOS?

CMOS used to be a cheaper solution compared with CCD (mainly due to CCD production yield rate). But CMOS now seemed to be a major candidate on the upper class camera.

Thanks for sharing
All things being equal, a CCD's pixels can collect more light (their wells are "deeper") so the best CCD will probably always beat the best CMOS.

But for a given price, a CMOS is likely to be bette than a CCD, because as you say they are generally cheaper to make.

Also, CMOS can inclde analog processors on each pixel, before the data is digitalized, so that can be an advantage.

CCDs are easier to cool, though, so for specific applications they can be better (the sensor in my lab is a CCD cooled to -20 celcius).

Both have their place, and I wouldn't say that one is bette for a given application. It really depends, and what interests the user is the final output.
06-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating article. I only remember bits and pieces of transister theory, but it's amazing to see how simple the pixel circuitry really is.