Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Pentax Digital SLR Body for SF1n Lenses

I have a couple of auto focus lenses from an old SF1n-SLR film camera that I would like to use with a digital body.
Can anyone advise what Pentax digital body I should obtain that would accomodate the lenses?

09-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is 'Any'.

In more detail any k-mount lens will work on a newer body with the limits of the lens. So a manual focus lens still works just fine but remains manual focus. The Pentax-F series and Pentax-FA series work exactly the same on digital as a brand new lens bought today.

For more information post what lenses you have.

Also check the lens database here: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
09-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Petr J. Quote
I have a couple of auto focus lenses from an old SF1n-SLR film camera that I would like to use with a digital body.
Can anyone advise what Pentax digital body I should obtain that would accomodate the lenses?
If they came with an SF1n they're most likely F-series autofocus lenses. An F-series lens will work with virtually any Pentax Digital SLR. They're less successful on a K-01, but workable if you practice focusing on edges for contrast.

I once had an SF1n kit with the F35~70 and F70~210 and used the lenses on my K10D and K-3 just fine. Both those lenses (if they're the ones) have a small cult following here, especially the 70~210 for its sharpness.
09-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

As to which body, the current flagship is the k-3II with the k-3 very similar but having an on board flash and no GPS. Or look for a k-5IIs which is a generation older but still a very good camera. You can also find very good prices on the k-50 if you want a mid-range body. The K-S2 is newer though and has a newer sensor.

Details on cameras are here: Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

09-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget that all the current Pentax DSLR models use APS-C size sensors. This is smaller than the full 35mm frame of your SF series, so the focal length is effectively increased by 1.5 times. An old 50mm standard lens for 35mm film, will be equivalent to a 75mm lens with an APS-C sensor.