Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess if you struggle this much, I would try to create jpeg settings, in-camera that fit what I like. I generally use natural setting, which works pretty well. See if you can do that. If you can't, then yes, sell your Pentax gear.

I don't think there is a big difference in performance between the K5 and the Fuji XT1 and maybe something like that would work better for you than the K5 and give better quality than the X100 offers.

09-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Hello everyone, long time no see.

I've been busy lately with work and work-related travel, and fell in love with the Fuji X100 and X100S. I've since settled down into a more location-stable job, and have a new daughter.

I still have my FA 31, 43, DA 16-50, Sigma 70-200, and I've gone back to using them for my daughter, but the Pentax colors are just driving me nuts.

Fuji's OOC JPGs have great color, particularly for skin. Whereas I feel like I have to tweak every DNG coming out of my K-5 to make it look good.

Am I crazy to just say, screw it, sell all my Pentax gear, and maybe just get a teleconverter for the X100S? Anyone else out here have a similar experience?
1) Did you consider using a DXO filmpack? This lets you choose any film rendition, including Astia and Velvia, much like Fuji cameras do.

2) Capture 1 lets you select the color rendering from any camera. You can shoot with a Pentax and have Fuji's presets for color rendition.
09-06-2015, 03:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I don't want to sound arrogant or anything, but how can you say with confidence that you don't like the colours from your Pentax? I mean, I would really like to understand your phenomenology (or what it feels like to you)? I have only talked about colour blindness with a few people and their problem was they couldn't identify one colour from the other (red/green, I believe)

We are all colour blind to some extent, for instance in our eyes ability to resolve differences in colour - as in establishing if one shade of blue is the same/darker/lighter of another shade of blue.

Personally, I like Fuji's colours out of camera but I shoot RAW so it is not really something that worries me too much.
09-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I also like Fujifilm colour even from my little X10. But I also have no issues with the colour output from my Pentax stuff.

Funnily enough my wedding photographer in Italy had an array of Canon gear he used personally in his spare time but for work he used Pentax as he said the skin tones were great.

09-06-2015, 05:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A common problem of any DSLR is that using different lenses, color rendition is more or less different. Different from one manufacturer to another, and sometime from one lens to another.

So, in your case, the solution is a bridge camera, or a compact. something with only one lens, to keep the same color rendition. In this way, you will set the parameters for processing once, and keep it there, changing only in relation with external light.
09-06-2015, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Maybe someone who is colour blind needs a monochrome Leica?
09-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't know how you expect anybody to help you if you don't explain more fully how your colorblindness manifests itself. And you should also post some samples photos from your Fuji and from your Pentax showing the problem.

09-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
DHA
Forum Member

Well, I wouldn't sell your Pentax Ltds. (providing their made in Japan versions) for some more Fuji stuff. I have Fuji X cameras and while I love the SOOC Jpegs, low light and colors, I can tell you their AF system is the absolute worst I've every come across. Even static stuff can be hard to focus when the light is dim, so forget about any movement whatsoever. I kept four of my Pentax/Sigma K mount lenses and will be getting a K3II in a month or two. I should be able to pick one up for under $800 if all goes well. The AF and lowlight with this unit will probably lead me back to Pentax and away from Fuji for a lot of my stuff. Then again, I shoot DNG with Pentax and use CS3 for cleanup and JPEG conversion. Be happy with whatever you got; however, if you are color blind, Fuji might be a simpler fix all around.
09-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I would get the retail product of Silkypix developer software and take RAW (DNG) file in the camera - create a taste using one of the many color profiles (my favorite is portrait 2); I personally don't like the in-camera jpeg engine no matter how good they are.
09-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I was having a bit of a knee jerk reaction after sorting through a ton of baby photos and feeling like I needed to tweak all the Pentax ones in Lightroom, but could use a lot of the OOC JPGs from my Fuji.

My equipment is old enough that I don't feel like there's a rush to get rid of it, so I'll keep playing around with the colors (with my wife's approval of course).

Next big test is the booked outside. Haven't had a chance to take the baby out to a park with trees and leaves in the background. Should be fun!
09-07-2015, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some FA 31 goodness. Needed some tweaking in Lightroom though.
Attached Images

09-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Looks to me like nice skin tones. Appropriate for the golden afternoon light.
09-08-2015, 04:34 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
Wonderful bokeh and nice skin tones.
09-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm running both systems. I found the Fuji 60mm, 14mm and the 'kit' 18-55mm better for me, than the 70mm, 15mm and 18-135mm. I've kept the k-5iis and 60-250mm.
I prefer Fuji jpgs and like the colours out of the box.
09-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #30
DHA
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm running both systems. I found the Fuji 60mm, 14mm and the 'kit' 18-55mm better for me, than the 70mm, 15mm and 18-135mm. I've kept the k-5iis and 60-250mm.
I prefer Fuji jpgs and like the colours out of the box.
I couldn't agree more. Fuji colors are great SOOC and a good Pentax weather-sealed body with a long * zoom and a decent macro suffices at this end as well.