Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I sell my Pentax gear?

Hello everyone, long time no see.

I've been busy lately with work and work-related travel, and fell in love with the Fuji X100 and X100S. I've since settled down into a more location-stable job, and have a new daughter.

I still have my FA 31, 43, DA 16-50, Sigma 70-200, and I've gone back to using them for my daughter, but the Pentax colors are just driving me nuts.

Fuji's OOC JPGs have great color, particularly for skin. Whereas I feel like I have to tweak every DNG coming out of my K-5 to make it look good.

Am I crazy to just say, screw it, sell all my Pentax gear, and maybe just get a teleconverter for the X100S? Anyone else out here have a similar experience?

09-05-2015, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Life is short, do what makes you happy.

On the other hand, which color setting are you using? You can get the camera to default to pretty much whatever you want.
09-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you experimented with different JPEG settings?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem is that I'm colorblind, so I rely heavily on the camera's white balance and JPG choices. I like usually use the Astia setting for people and Velvia for landscapes.

Any suggestions for Pentax? Going from Bright to Portrait seemed to help, but something about skin color still doesn't seem right.

09-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Muted, saturation +2, hue 0, hi/low +1, contrast +1 Fine Sharpening +2.
09-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get some else to tune the exact colors. Each preset can be tuned also. Portrait works well here but you may need a tweak. This is independent of white balance.
09-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I find my Pentax (K5, K10D, Km) colours are fine. In fact other photographers using different equipment remark on the great colour rendition. I do a lot of vintage / hot rod shots and some of the paint jobs are unique and very expensive. My 3 Pentax bodies seem to nail the colours each and every time.

09-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I am color blind too...i rely on my wife to tell me if my colors are off or not. I dont really know how switching brands would help me. Have you tried a x-rite color checker?
09-05-2015, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Problem is that I'm colorblind, so I rely heavily on the camera's white balance and JPG choices. I like usually use the Astia setting for people and Velvia for landscapes.

Any suggestions for Pentax? Going from Bright to Portrait seemed to help, but something about skin color still doesn't seem right.
Since you stated in your original post that you were shooting DNG's, none of those settings will do anything unless you're shooting JPEG. As others have mentioned, you can make a lot of adjustments for your JPEGs. I do have a question though. If you're colorblind and you make adjustments to the color and white balance to suit your eyes, won't your shots look really off to others?
09-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only you can decide to sell or not though I suspect your issues are setup and workflow, nothing wrong with the gear. Certainly lots of people get good results from Pentax gear myself included. But personally I would not run two systems (though I know many people do). Pick the one that works for you and go with it. Why complicate things? The objective is pictures you like not loyalty to any particular brand of gear.
09-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

you'd be giving up longer reach and weather resistance for a smaller size and better sooc jpgs. i go back and forth about going for a fuji all the time. currently, i'm using dxo film pack. it's pretty neat, but extends the workflow.
09-05-2015, 10:44 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fuji's OOC JPGs have great color
How do you know this?

I'm colorblind
09-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Astia?
Maybe try a film plugin like DXO film pack?

Perhaps you can also try other picture settings for the Pentax (ie. portrait, landscape, reversal film, etc)
Colors is a personal thing, I've never been wowed by Fuji or Oly colors and like Canon colors best for people and Pentax for everything else.
Oddly, when I was still using Panasonic, its colors was one of the most accurate (based on many reviews) but often blasted as being too bland.

If you think Fuji is the way for you, then its the way
I've found that despite all being said and argued, its often not possible to cure an itch that a person has for a gear once he is 'latched' on to it being somehow better.
So just satisfy that itch and go with what you feel is better.

Last edited by pinholecam; 09-06-2015 at 10:33 PM.
09-06-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should you sell your Pentax gear?

Nope...it is beautiful. It has soul....For me.

If you like Fuji, maybe it has soul for you.

Think hard tho.
09-06-2015, 02:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No.

31/77 are too good