Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Exactly what Uncle Vanya said! No more, no less. Pentax colors are some of the best in the world! But, that comes from a very biased, opinionated old soul.

09-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-5 and the 16-50mm. I have recently sold both the 50-135 and da* 200 and was planning on dropping the K-5 as well in favor of my X-E1 and the XF-18 and 35.

My 16-50 had spent over a year in for repair so I had no wide to normal focal lengths for the K-5 and thus stopped using it day to day. Since getting the 16-50 back the K-5 has been in use almost daily and I don't know what I was thinking considering parting with the camera. I love my X-E1, but it won't replace the K-5. I intend to use both until they stop working, or until the K-3 becomes un-ignorably cheap.

I would stay with a DSLR and spend they time tweaking the in camera color.
09-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Have you tried a x-rite color checker?
+1 on that, I use it for colour critical work, it has seamless integration with Lightroom making colour balance a breeze and guarantees correct actual lifelike colours every time.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-20-2015 at 02:56 PM.
09-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
+1 on that, I use it for colour critical work, it's seamless integration with Lightroom makes colour balance a breeze and guarantees correct actual lifelike colours every time.
Lifelike colors are overrated... LOL
Sometimes I like to shift from reality but that's a good point - if true colors are needed there is no substitute for an independent means of verification and calibration.

09-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lifelike colours are overrated... LOL Sometimes I like to shift from reality
I achieve that with drams.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
but that's a good point - if true colors are needed there is no substitute for an independent means of verification and calibration
For me the Color Checker Passport is just so quick and simple to use.
09-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DXO FIlmPak3 gives you dozens of choices and thousands of adjustments....you should try it.

I never had much complaint about my K5 skintones if the lighting was half decent, but I did have problems with girls that had weird colored hair.

Regards!
09-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
but I did have problems with girls that had weird colored hair
Are we still talking about photography?

09-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I have the K-5 and the 16-50mm. I have recently sold both the 50-135 and da* 200 and was planning on dropping the K-5 as well in favor of my X-E1 and the XF-18 and 35.

My 16-50 had spent over a year in for repair so I had no wide to normal focal lengths for the K-5 and thus stopped using it day to day. Since getting the 16-50 back the K-5 has been in use almost daily and I don't know what I was thinking considering parting with the camera. I love my X-E1, but it won't replace the K-5. I intend to use both until they stop working, or until the K-3 becomes un-ignorably cheap.

I would stay with a DSLR and spend they time tweaking the in camera color.
Well, just to play devil's advocate, I am in the same boat, I have nothing modern and wider in Pentax than a 60-250mm. I've been toying with picking a 16-45mm back up, or a 16-85mm up (for the weather-sealing, if nothing else), but have been "making do" with the GR. I agree peak IQ is probably better with a RAW processed from the K-5 series, but it's down to the raw converter.

Back to the OP, it all depends on how and where you use your camera. In the last few months, the camera that has gotten the most use for me is the Ricoh GR, as that is the one that fits in the carry-on with all of my work gear.
09-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

That should be an easy call for the OP. Fuji's cameras do actually produce the most visually appealing JPGs straight OOC on the market today. Not to mention that K5-level bodies tend to have a rather flat JPG output - it might be a very accurate output alright, but it doesn't make it any less flat or any more appealing to the eye of an average consumer.
09-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #40
Forum Member

I'm colorblind as well and really can't tell. In fact, I was shooting a few pictures of my teachers once for the school and I decided to go crazy with special effects because they were holding lightsabers. I accidentally turned my blond teacher's hair red on some parts, and I didn't even know until someone pointed it out before it went for publication.

I don't have the need to make sure my lenses are tack sharp or the colors look right. If anything, I think photographing red things makes my camera do weird things. Red is really bright but it lacks detail. I usually just start desaturating the red level until I can get some detail back. I'll take that Sigma 70-200 if you don't need it
09-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

I never had much complaint about my K5 skintones if the lighting was half decent, but I did have problems with girls that had weird colored hair.

Regards!
With such a beautiful model, I still wonder how you guys can still think about lighting, color tones...
10-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right now I've slapped the 70-200mm onto the K-5, and use the X100s for everything else that doesn't need the reach. Maybe it's time to sell my FAs...