Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Problem with K200D

Sometimes, when I am in playback mode, and turn the e-dial to the right to zoom, the LCD screen just goes black in the middle, after 1 or 2 turns of the dial. Then I have to press play again to see the picture, and zoom again. Usually after 3 or 4 times it works.
The battery indicator says there is a full charge ...
The camera doesn't do this consistently, but it's somewhat annoying.
Is anyone else seeing this ?

06-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Sometimes, when I am in playback mode, and turn the e-dial to the right to zoom, the LCD screen just goes black in the middle, after 1 or 2 turns of the dial. Then I have to press play again to see the picture, and zoom again. Usually after 3 or 4 times it works.
Not me (crossing fingers that it won't) Check your settings on how long to keep display on?

Barry
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Not me (crossing fingers that it won't) Check your settings on how long to keep display on?

Barry
They are at the default. I didn't change any setting on the camera.
But when this happens, the screen goes black within a very short period of time after pressing the playback button and the dial. It's not consistent as I said. Not happening right now.
06-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

They are at the default. I didn't change any setting on the camera.
But when this happens, the screen goes black within a very short period of time after pressing the playback button and the dial. It's not consistent as I said. Not happening right now.
Hei,

What kind of SD card are you using? SD or SDHC?

I used TOSHUBA SDHC 4G class 6 (has higher speed) now. The performance seemed the fastest and I did not witness any "halt" or "blank" up to now.
I tried a very cheap SD card (4G SDHC) before. awful!

06-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Hei,

What kind of SD card are you using? SD or SDHC?

I used TOSHUBA SDHC 4G class 6 (has higher speed) now. The performance seemed the fastest and I did not witness any "halt" or "blank" up to now.
I tried a very cheap SD card (4G SDHC) before. awful!
It's a Patriot 4 GB SDHC at the moment. I have benchmarked it in my computer and it's about 16 MB/s . Not the fastest, but not slow.

I tried other cards also before and saw the problem as well. I have some 2 GB Patriot SD, which are actually faster - I measured 22 MB/s . My old 1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD is only 9 MB/s.

These are read times.

I don't have any problem when I write to the Patriot cards. I can take pictures very quickly. I actually get the max fps rate of the camera when using JPEGs (2.8 fps). So I don't think it's a card performance problem.
Even if it was, the screen should not turn black, it should just take a little bit longer.

When the problem occurs, sometimes I have just pressed the play button, and immediately turn the e-dial to zoom, and then it turns black right away ...
06-20-2008, 04:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think either your camera or the batteries are having problems. Try to use another pair of batteries (especially try to use Lithiums) and see if problem persists. If so, get your camera servicing.
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I think either your camera or the batteries are having problems. Try to use another pair of batteries (especially try to use Lithiums) and see if problem persists. If so, get your camera servicing.
The problem keeps happening every time I want to shoot outdoors apparently. I had a hell of a time reviewing my moonshots last night because the LCD kept turning off and the camera went back to capture mode. Sometimes right after I played play and displaying the picture, before I even got a chance to turned the e-dial, in less than a second. Battery problem would make sense. I will try another set the next time this happens. I didn't open the lithium ones yet. I am using the NiMH. At least this problem did not happen while I was showing my camera to a coworker at the office earlier today. He took a few pictures with it and no problem, on the same NiMH batteries.

Indoors seems to be OK usually. I wonder if it's got to do with the direction of the camera. When I shoot outside and review the pics I often have the camera on my strap hanging down .

I don't want to send it for service right now. I just bought it for an upcoming trip to Paris at the end of the month. The camera is still taking great shots even with this flaw.

06-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Solved

The problem keeps happening every time I want to shoot outdoors apparently. I had a hell of a time reviewing my moonshots last night because the LCD kept turning off and the camera went back to capture mode. Sometimes right after I played play and displaying the picture, before I even got a chance to turned the e-dial, in less than a second. Battery problem would make sense. I will try another set the next time this happens. I didn't open the lithium ones yet. I am using the NiMH. At least this problem did not happen while I was showing my camera to a coworker at the office earlier today. He took a few pictures with it and no problem, on the same NiMH batteries.

Indoors seems to be OK usually. I wonder if it's got to do with the direction of the camera. When I shoot outside and review the pics I often have the camera on my strap hanging down .

I don't want to send it for service right now. I just bought it for an upcoming trip to Paris at the end of the month. The camera is still taking great shots even with this flaw.
I think I finally figured out what this was !

When I take my shots and review them, I usually have my right index finger on the shutter release button, and my right thumb on the e-dial.

What I found out is that the tiniest amount of pressure on the shutter release, even from my index finger simply resting on the shutter release from having just taken a shot, is enough to sometimes put the camera into capture mode, even though it does not cause the camera to focus or to beep. I reproduced the problem at will by just pushing a tiny bit harder with the index, and it would get out of capture mode, without the camera either focusing or beeping. So the shutter release button on the K200D is "analog" - it's not just 3 states of unpressed/half-pressed/pressed.

So, I think the shutter release button on my K200D is just overly sensitive. The camera is not defective. I just need to move my index index away from it altogether when I turn the e-dial. I just checked on my digicam (Nikon Coolpix L1) and it does not have this issue. The shutter release button on it does not have any intermediate state between "unpressed" and "half-pressed" (focus). It only has 3 states.

Last edited by madbrain; 06-20-2008 at 11:23 PM.
06-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

.........The shutter release button ... intermediate state between "unpressed" and "half-pressed" (focus). It only has 3 states.
Cheer! Cheer Cheer!!

PS: In my own field (product & component safety) intermediate position(s) of switch and control gear etc are unacceptable
06-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats!

Glad to hear that you've found out the problem and got it resolved.

Have a nice trip to Paris!

When I take my shots and review them, I usually have my right index finger on the shutter release button, and my right thumb on the e-dial.

What I found out is that the tiniest amount of pressure on the shutter release, even from my index finger simply resting on the shutter release from having just taken a shot, is enough to sometimes put the camera into capture mode, even though it does not cause the camera to focus or to beep. I reproduced the problem at will by just pushing a tiny bit harder with the index, and it would get out of capture mode, without the camera either focusing or beeping. So the shutter release button on the K200D is "analog" - it's not just 3 states of unpressed/half-pressed/pressed.

So, I think the shutter release button on my K200D is just overly sensitive. The camera is not defective. I just need to move my index index away from it altogether when I turn the e-dial. I just checked on my digicam (Nikon Coolpix L1) and it does not have this issue. The shutter release button on it does not have any intermediate state between "unpressed" and "half-pressed" (focus). It only has 3 states.
06-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Cheer! Cheer Cheer!!

PS: In my own field (product & component safety) intermediate position(s) of switch and control gear etc are unacceptable
I thought maybe it was a "feature"

But the only explanation is that there are different contacts used to go to capture mode first, and to focus mode second. These don't happen at the same time. But I can't really think of a good reason for that.

It's easy enough to work around. I wonder if it's just my K200D or if others are affected too.
06-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a new K200D owner waiting on his Hawaiian trip, you had me so worried i was shooting pointlessly and reviewing immediately to see if my photo excursion was going to be spoilt as i have no backup body just yet.

It is a relief to hear now it wasn't a real glitch

You did however get me to test my camera even if my shooting was pointless LOL

(maybe i should go get a backup body now?!?)
06-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
As a new K200D owner waiting on his Hawaiian trip, you had me so worried i was shooting pointlessly and reviewing immediately to see if my photo excursion was going to be spoilt as i have no backup body just yet.

It is a relief to hear now it wasn't a real glitch

You did however get me to test my camera even if my shooting was pointless LOL

(maybe i should go get a backup body now?!?)
So, can you test this for me and see if the issue exists on your camera too ?

1) press play to show the last picture
2) very lightly touch the shutter, without half-pressing it. Try different levels of pressure, but never to the point of focusing and beeping.

Please tell me if the camera goes to capture mode or not, with the screen turning off.

Thanks!
06-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Kei

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

So, can you test this for me and see if the issue exists on your camera too ?

1) press play to show the last picture
2) very lightly touch the shutter, without half-pressing it. Try different levels of pressure, but never to the point of focusing and beeping.

Please tell me if the camera goes to capture mode or not, with the screen turning off.

Thanks!

Just tried it with my k200d, yes it goes back to capture mode even with VERY light press on the shutter and the screen turns off (a tiny bit more pressure then I hear the AF sound knowing the camera is trying to focus again).
06-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks !

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
Just tried it with my k200d, yes it goes back to capture mode even with VERY light press on the shutter and the screen turns off (a tiny bit more pressure then I hear the AF sound knowing the camera is trying to focus again).
I guess it must be designed this way, then.