Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use AV most of the time, probably because it's the way I worked during the film era. TAv is useful for telephoto work with wildlife where I really want a high shutter speed to eliminate vibration and motion and a particular f-stop to get maximum IQ from the lens (and a bit more DOF), commonly a combination of 1/1000 and f8~9.5~11. I've never used Sv or Tv that I can remember. Camera setting options have reached the point of late 1950's Chevy Impalas - - if you try a different combination each day, the camera will be obsolete before you get through all the possibilities.

09-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
The two modes I use all the time on my K5 are TAv for lenses with aperture control and M for my old K lenses. Never use most of the others like Sv Tv, Av, P or Green...
09-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
Forum Member

I shoot mostly airshows.

For the moving part itīs TAv. Perfect for keeping the lens stopped down at the exact speed I want. All the other cameras have to compromise ISO/noise in order to maintain a minimum speed or aperture.

Pentax should patent it, if it hasnīt.

After TAv, Av for static pics, M for you know what, sometimes Tv, never Sv.
09-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

Neither. Though I suspect TAv will be A LOT more useful on FF...

09-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Didn't realize I'd be in the minority, but "never" and "never". I use M and Av almost exclusively with an occasional (very seldom) Tv.
Sensitivity is the one thing I want to remain a constant and not even consider it except at the beginning of a shoot. It really affects how the image is rendered and it isn't something you can quickly/easily preview on the tiny LCD.
09-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
I shoot mostly airshows.

For the moving part itīs TAv. Perfect for keeping the lens stopped down at the exact speed I want. All the other cameras have to compromise ISO/noise in order to maintain a minimum speed or aperture.

Pentax should patent it, if it hasnīt.

After TAv, Av for static pics, M for you know what, sometimes Tv, never Sv.
Exactly how I shoot.
09-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #22

Sometimes I use Tav for panning , it's useful also in critical situation when I don't want to change a specific couple of exp. time and aperture. But M mode is my preferred. Never used Sv.
09-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I mostly use M but for moving waves at the ocean, I will sometimes use TAv to lock in the water motion I want. Also great for concert photography where I want to set a minimumshutter speed to mitigate blur.

I cannot fathom a use for Sv...at all.

09-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I cannot fathom a use for Sv...at all.
me either

I shoot mostly Manual, sometimes Av, rarely TAv,
09-08-2015, 02:46 AM   #25
Forum Member

Sv never

And its about 33% for TAv; Av; and M

M - heaps of time, or becoming frustrated with 'choices' camera makes

Av - when time a bit pushed

TAv - when time really pushed
09-08-2015, 03:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

TAv - always
09-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I use P and TAv mostly, but I've used every mode at some time or other. P-mode lets me shift to Av or Tv simply by rotating the front or rear dials. Green button gets me back to P. It's brilliant.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
TAv is useful for telephoto work with wildlife where I really want a high shutter speed to eliminate vibration and motion and a particular f-stop to get maximum IQ from the lens (and a bit more DOF),
The above describes why and how I normally use TAv. The reason TAv is better by far than M mode, is that I can have as much as 5 stops difference in lighting between a sunlit trail, and dim forest. TAv is my default for any type of action shooting. The camera sets the exposure instantly in TAv mode, so I don't miss shots fussing with settings.

The other scenario I use TAv for is in low light, with a lens I don't want to open all the way. Typically that would be the FA 50mm f1.4, which I normally use at f2 and smaller. I don't want to use Av mode, because the camera gets extravagant with shutter speed. I can reliably hold 1/30s or even 1/20s, which keeps the ISO down.

I know I've used S-mode, but I can't remember the scenario.
09-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I use TAv 95% of the time. I find it the most convenient way to balance the critical variables.
If I'm shooting a static subject from tripod, Av is the best way to keep ISO low.

I cannot recall ever using Sv
09-08-2015, 06:16 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Sv might have it's greatest utility in P-TTL flash mode. Seems flash on Pentax always is more reliable with ISO fixed and Sv provides the simplest method for controlling ISO.
09-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I use TAv with my 200 mm lens to dial in the minimum shutter speed needed for the shot. Guess I use it as a shortcut Manual mode with 2 user defined values.