Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 06:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TAv -60% of the time (rest between Manual-20% AV 10% Tv 5%, mostly panning P 5%, I have set on MTF priority) Not sure I've ever used Sv.

09-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #32

I've never understood the purpose of Sv mode either.
Especially i don't know why Pentax needs to clutter the mode wheel with a useless mode while:
- DSLR sales are plunging because smartphone cameras are more intuitive to use
- and most beginners find the huge number of buttons on DSLRs intimidating
09-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

TAv for me is both the most logical and the most intuitive.

The camera, for any given shot, must be told by the photographer how much motion it's dealing with (shutter) and how much DOF and/or quality is required.(aperture).
Set these two values and just let ISO float. If the ISO ends up too high then you are just beyond what the camera and PP can do - win a few loose a few - but that's true of any mode.

In an ideal world give me TAv, in camera ETTR metering and a dedicated third wheel for direct manual Ev control and I would be a happy camper. This, of course, assumes the use of a modern auto lens.

Last edited by wildman; 09-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.
09-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Sv might have it's greatest utility in P-TTL flash mode. Seems flash on Pentax always is more reliable with ISO fixed and Sv provides the simplest method for controlling ISO.
Good idea. I'll try that. Then the aperture and flash power adjust for exposure.

09-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't use Sv mode very often, but it's nice to have a mode where "program lines" is fully used so you can shift exposure and still have the chosen PL enabled.
In Hyper-P the PL is only used when it's in P-mode, and as soon as you change exposure PL is disabled.

IMO it would be better to have a second P-mode (with P-shift) where ISO could be set to auto, and still work the same way as Sv-mode if ISO is set to manual.
09-09-2015, 05:10 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
I've never understood the purpose of Sv mode either.
Especially i don't know why Pentax needs to clutter the mode wheel with a useless mode while:
- DSLR sales are plunging because smartphone cameras are more intuitive to use
- and most beginners find the huge number of buttons on DSLRs intimidating
Drive wheel clutter? You can only call it that if you have scene modes.

Although I agree with you about beginners and the number of buttons, I personally find the lack of buttons in other brands (like the two rotating knobs) quite despairing.
May have been spoiled by starting with a K10 (moving up from a compact) and having full control...

Since K10 the only thing missing was a drive mode button (one more ), but I think that has been corrected in K3, along with focus type.

As for smartphones, it's not about intuitiveness (try changing camera settings), but about wanting instant results without having to do much work for it (generation problem).
09-16-2015, 04:35 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I use TAv quite a lot for my concert work.
I have never even considered Sv (or Tv for that matter).
Yeah, I live in TAv mode since I only really shoot gigs. I love that mode.

09-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

My camera is set on aperture priority most of the time. The remainder will find it on manual. It works for me.
09-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never used Sv. As for TAv, I do use that on occasion. I should probably use it more. I shoot motorcycle racing quite a bit and TAv is very handy.The sun can go behind the clouds and sometimes you can get concentrating so much on capturing the action, you forget to change exposure. Since my normal setting is Av, I have had to deal with the results for forgetting to change modes. I have ended up with a lot of motion blur because the shutter speed got too slow. TAv lets you get the shutter speed you need and the aperture you need and you can pretty much just shoot away all day. I normally am using a telephoto and I need an aperture of f/8-f/11 to get as much DOF and keep all the racers in a group in focus. My K5 does very usable shots up to ISO 12800.