Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Using aperature ring

Up until now, all the older lenses that I've been using on my K100D Super have the A setting. Today I was trying out a M lens that I acquired and I had to set the Using Aperture Ring to Permitted. The question is can this stay in the Permitted setting or does it need to be reset to the default Not Permitted position to use the DA lenses. Tried to find it in the Operating Manual but no joy.

CW

06-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On both of my cameras that was the first menu setting I changed, and have left it that way, you do not need to change it back. Isn't Pentax awesome ?
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
On both of my cameras that was the first menu setting I changed, and have left it that way, you do not need to change it back. Isn't Pentax awesome ?
When I was first aware of the set up I was surprised that Pentax bothered to force people to permit it.
Why not in the first take it out and have it by design 'permitted' anyway. That save manual shooter just one little step. One little simple hoop to jump

Daniel
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree Daniel, seems it should be "permittied" by default. But I am just glad you can use the old glass with 'em !! haha

06-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Isn't Pentax awesome ?
Awsome is an understatement. The other day, I was shooting my cousin's 1968 Dodge Charger RT with a H1a and 55mm f2 lens. What's amazing is after shooting that 40 year old car with a 45 year old camera, I could take off that lens, screw on the adapter and use it on my 3 month old digital to shoot a 2008 Charger RT if I had wanted to do so. That is just so far out there, I expect to see Rod Serling doing Pentax commericials.

Thanks for the input. Any other settings I should change and just leave?

CW
06-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the default setting is appropriate

I agree Daniel, seems it should be "permittied" by default. But I am just glad you can use the old glass with 'em !! haha
For users who use only lenses with an A setting but with an aperture ring, setting it at "not permitted" will avoid any human errors when the ring is set a non-A position at which exposure errors will result.
06-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #7

Yeah, but most (maybe all?) aperture rings will lock in the A position. Moving them accidentally would be pretty difficult. Plus, I think they would notice that the camera was behaving completely differently first.

06-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
Yeah, but most (maybe all?) aperture rings will lock in the A position. Moving them accidentally would be pretty difficult. Plus, I think they would notice that the camera was behaving completely differently first.
For users who have a different Pentax film SLR that uses the aperture ring, it will be quite common that the rings are moved off the A position
06-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I did help a UK pentax user who selling his lens on ebay because he just switch from Film to Digital and can't get his lens work with his DSLR, which he didn't put the lens to A and doesn't know need to permit the use of aperture ring.

And even after using some of my lens in my K2, sometime i forgot to turn it back to A when I use it in K10, so it does happen.
06-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
For users who have a different Pentax film SLR that uses the aperture ring, it will be quite common that the rings are moved off the A position
I guess you don't think about things you don't have.
06-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On many lenses the "lock" is not much of a lock at all, and just installing the lens may move the aperture ring.
06-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
On many lenses the "lock" is not much of a lock at all, and just installing the lens may move the aperture ring.
I've "broken" my camera/lens a couple of times, leading to much panic. Then I finally realize the aperature ring got bumped off of the A setting.
06-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I guess you don't think about things you don't have.
Sorry, I'm one of "the users". I have four Pentax bodies. Two use the A setting solely and the other two *must* use the non-A position. See?
06-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Sorry, I'm one of "the users". I have four Pentax bodies. Two use the A setting solely and the other two *must* use the non-A position. See?
Woo.. RiceHigh I think you misunderstand what he said.. he is not talking about you as in You, don't think about things that you don't have... he is talking about himself... so don't start picking a fight now.