Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

I think there should be more Hyper in the Green Button

Hi there,

i'm using hypermanual, meaning the manual mode in combination with the green button.
One can choose from 3 ways how the green button will set exposure: Program line, time shift, aperture shift.
I have it set to time shift, because most of the time i choose an aperture for the depth of field that i want, then push the green button to have the camera set the time automatically. Sometimes, i would like to have it set to aperture shift, but i'm too lazy to go into the menu and change it.

All nice and well. But then i'm thinking: Why do i have to choose between time shift and aperture shift anyway?
Wouldn't it be cool if the green button would switch to time shift as soon as i use the aperture wheel, and then switch to aperture shift when i use the time wheel?
I mean, that's sort of what's happening in Hyperprogram, and what makes Hyperprogram cool to begin with, right? (There, when i use the time wheel, the camera switches to Tv mode; when i use the aperture wheel, it switches to Av mode).

I think that would be a more thought out version of Hypermanual.
Do you agree? Am i missing something?
Greetings, Bromberger

Edit: Actually i realised you could do the same thing for the iso button: Press the iso button, and while holding it, press the green button - the camera would set the iso according to the time and aperture you have already set with the wheels. I would love that.

Last edited by Bromberger; 09-08-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added another point
09-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Hi there,

i'm using hypermanual, meaning the manual mode in combination with the green button.
One can choose from 3 ways how the green button will set exposure: Program line, time shift, aperture shift.
I have it set to time shift, because most of the time i choose an aperture for the depth of field that i want, then push the green button to have the camera set the time automatically. Sometimes, i would like to have it set to aperture shift, but i'm too lazy to go into the menu and change it.

All nice and well. But then i'm thinking: Why do i have to choose between time shift and aperture shift anyway?
Wouldn't it be cool if the green button would switch to time shift as soon as i use the aperture wheel, and then switch to aperture shift when i use the time wheel?
I mean, that's sort of what's happening in Hyperprogram, and what makes Hyperprogram cool to begin with, right? (There, when i use the time wheel, the camera switches to Tv mode; when i use the aperture wheel, it switches to Av mode).

I think that would be a more thought out version of Hypermanual.
Do you agree? Am i missing something?
Greetings, Bromberger
I think manual mode should be just that; manual. I'd rather not muck it up with some auto whatnots. When I want intervention from the camera, I'll use one of the plethora of semi auto modes.
09-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I think manual mode should be just that; manual. I'd rather not muck it up with some auto whatnots. When I want intervention from the camera, I'll use one of the plethora of semi auto modes.
Your way of working is fine, of course!
However, this thread is not about pro and contra of the green button.

Last edited by Bromberger; 09-08-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
09-08-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a tip you might enjoy: when in manual mode, press the exposure lock button and then spin either wheel. The camera will maintain equivalent exposure but trade aperture and shutterspeed against each other.

Regards,
--Anders.

09-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought Hyper-Manual was when you* Use AE-Lock in M mode. I believe it operates as you describe and will save wear and tear on the green button. Edit: (Assuming your camera has an AE-L button and that it has not been reconfigured to do something else.)

Steve

* My mistake. The terms Hyper-program and Hyper-manual get thrown around a lot and I have heard it described both ways

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-08-2015 at 06:00 PM.
09-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your way of working is fine, of course!
However, this thread is not about pro and contra of the green button.
You are looking for an easy way to go from Av to Tv "Wouldn't it be cool if the green button would switch to time shift as soon as i use the aperture wheel, and then switch to aperture shift when i use the time wheel?" I don't understand how the green button comes into play here. You want Av when you move the Av wheel and Tv when you move the Tv wheel. That is, by definition, hyper-program mode. You don't even describe pressing the green button at any point in that idea. So, what does this have to do with Manual mode and why do you want to muck it up?
09-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I prefer it they way it is now, but it would not hurt to be able to change the green button function without having to go to custom functions in the menus.
I use TV-shift for green button in Hyper-manual 99% of the times, so I don't want the camera to automatically change to Av-shift.

In manual mode it might even be hard to remember which you changed last (shutter speed or aperture), so you might get a surprise when you press the green button, if it would change automatically.
09-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Use AE-Lock in M mode
Except i use it for back button focus...

09-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Except i use it for back button focus...

Trade one element of functionality for another, I guess. One thing this thread lacks is a clear understanding of what cameras are under discussion. I guess you are shooting with a model having a duel-purposed AE-L button (K-30?). According to user profile, the OP owns both a K-3 and K10D. The options are a little different depending on what buttons are present and what configuration options have been exercised.

Steve
09-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Trade one element of functionality for another, I guess. One thing this thread lacks is a clear understanding of what cameras are under discussion. I guess you are shooting with a model having a duel-purposed AE-L button (K-30?). According to user profile, the OP owns both a K-3 and K10D. The options are a little different depending on what buttons are present and what configuration options have been exercised.

Steve
Ah, i didn't realize there was a difference, and yes, I use a K-30.
09-09-2015, 05:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use Av/Tv mode. Back wheel is for AV, and front one for Tv regulation. Keep constans ISO (ex. 200),
09-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #12

Although I haven't used one, I believe that the Z-1 and Z-1p SLRs used to work the way you describe - ie. whichever dial you turned last, that became the 'primary', value, and pressing the green button shifted the other value. This is different to how it works on the twin-dial Pentax DSLRs, as you say, where the choice of 'primary' value is set via menus.

Personally, I agree that this would be a good way to do things, and have often wondered why Pentax changed this behaviour. It could at least be offered as a fourth option in the menus. The hyper manual mode is one thing which for me sets Pentax cameras apart from any other, and I stay in manual mode almost all the time because of the speed and flexibility it offers. However, I think having your suggestion as an option could make it even better.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The OP's suggestion really doesn't 'muck up' the manual mode. He's just suggesting a variation on the behaviour which is already present. If you want to control both exposure values totally manually, you can - just don't press the green button.