Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How-to: Improve This Shot With Composition Adjustment?

Hi all,

So I'm recently back from a short vacation in Vermont, and in looking at my shots, it strikes me that one of them could perhaps have benefited from the use of Composition Adjustment. It's too late to go back and re-shot, obviously, but I want to understand how I could have proceeded to use this feature, so that I can figure out how it might come in handy in the future...

Right, so here's the shot, a long exposure of Neshobe Falls in Brandon, Vermont, USA:

Now, I like this shot, except for one thing: the building looks a little, ah... twisted. As I understand it, this is exactly the kind of effect that a shift lens and/or the Composition Adjustment feature can help with. But, in the situation above, how would one go about using it?

Where's what I think, and please to tell me if that's not it. In the shot above, the camera was pointing slightly downward. What I would have needed to do from that point in order to "straighten" the building in a subsequent shot is to point the camera more horizontally, and then use the Composition Adjustment feature to adjust the framing of the shot back "downward" to get the bottom of the falls back into the shot. Do I have that right?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.: Also not sure this is the proper forum... Picked this one because Composition Adjustment is a DSLR specific feature...

09-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be tough without stepping a little farther back or using a wider lens, but essentially you want to make sure the lens is pointed straight at the horizon. Then, you can use composition adjustment to shift the sensor upward and bring the building fully into view.

How to Turn Any Lens into a Shift Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
Sensor Shift In Action: Increasing Field of View - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope you have a photoshop... There is two tools that you can use to correct perspective distortion, free transform and lens correction (go custom). I spend on your photo 1 minute without paying too much attention and here is quick result... Hope you do not mind downloading it from your flickr account.