Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always lose the shutter-count link so I've bookmarked it!
check-shutter-count-exif.html

09-11-2015, 04:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I always lose the shutter-count link so I've bookmarked it!
My DUH moment of the day. I went to bookmark that page and had already done it and forgotten.
I blame age. Hows that?
09-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
Forum Member

I would suggest the K-S1. It is my first DSLR and I just recently got it. I had some of the same requirements as you have, particularly the relatively small size and weight. Considered the K-50, but it is heavier and bulkier than I wanted, and I didn't like the picture IQ right out of the camera. So that one was eliminated for me. The K-S2 has weather sealing, and that is something I wouldn't mind having, but not a priority. It is also heavier, bulkier, and pricier than the K-S1 (which isn't weather sealed). I also considered the K-R which I liked just as well as the K-S1. However, as it is used, I wouldn't get the manufacturer's warranty, and I'd have to deal with finding a good used one that is reliable. In the K-S1's favor, pictures are quite sharp right out of the camera, and it is most similar in style to two film cameras I really liked using the Pentax ES II (except for the weight) and the very lightweight and easy to handle Yashica T4. Neither had big grips which I find uncomfortable and awkward. However, the K-S1 has LED lights on it which absolutely drive some members of this forum wild with dislike. I find this pretty funny as I sure don't mind lights on my car's dashboard at night. So basically the poor K-S1 doesn't get any respect. IMHO it is a great little camera and pleasant to carry around all day. Also, it does have video mode readily available on the same switch as off/on. Haven't tried that feature as I rarely take videos. I added the 2 year extended warranty from Ricoh for about $18. That gives me 3 years of factory warranty. Price for the camera body was $346 from B and H. Added the 50mm f1.8 for a little over $100 and a 35mm f2.4 (on order in yellow for $180), and I'm about set for most of my needs. That cost seems pretty good for a versatile and lightweight kit.