Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

send K3 for repair under warranty? hot pixels opinion needed [

My brother wants to send his k3 for repair under warranty. I bought the camera in the usa from adorama, and he lives in south America so the cost of him shipping me the camera and me shipping the camera back to him will be around 100 bucks.
I contacted pentax and they said they will fix the camera if they consider it's a manufacturing defect/there is too many hot pixels in the sensor. I honestly don't think there is too many but my brother insist is screwing with his work flow. So I'm gonna post a photo here and you guys can help me decide if you think pentax will fix this under warranty, or if you personally would consider sending your camera for repair if you have this problem with your sensor. I did my best to show the problem.

09-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you know if he has tried using the in camera pixel mapping? Menu > Wrench icon > 4.
09-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those don't look like normal hot pixels. Perhaps it's pixel mapping gone wrong?

If not they perhaps it would be worth it to get the camera serviced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

You could try running the Pixel Mapping first to see if that helps.

Attached Images

09-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pixel mapping usually takes care of it, but yeah those don't really even look like hot pixels. Are they always in the same spot? (Easiest way to see them is to shoot a blur and they will stand out.)
09-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
I forgot to mention he has used the pixel mapping several times and there has been no correction

---------- Post added 09-10-15 at 03:46 PM ----------

Yes the pixels are on every single photo he takes, on the same,spot. He had not noticed them until he started doing some bigger prints, then he looked back at photos that are a couple months old, and the pixels where there
09-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That doesn't look like hot pixels. I'm more inclined to think it's some sort of stain on the sensor. I'd give the sensor a good wet cleaning. If that doesn't work, sending the camera in for service is one option. Another option is to just clone the spots out.

09-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That looks like someone took a magenta marker and marked the cover glass. If they are hot pixels, they are atypical hot pixels which could be why pixel mapping didn't fix it.

To test hot pixels, try a long exposure in a very dark room with lens cap on. The entire photo will be black except for glowing hot pixels.

To test for dead pixels, overexpose an image of something white.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 09-11-2015 at 06:34 AM.
09-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes we both agree we are unsure as to what this is. It's definetely on the sensor since results are reproduced with all lenses. He says the sensor looks ckean. They are always the same color. At this point I'm thinking maybe we should sent the camera for repair, since it appears to be a strange situation