Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

AF540FGZll from Amazon-Gray Market?

Got a 540FGZll from Amazon shipped with Prime ($372). It was a order fulfilled by Amazon and not sold direct. I've discovered it's a gray market item. The warranty card is all Japanese and the only English states this warranty is only valid in Japan. Amazon has always taken care of any issue I had for anything I purchased. I'm amazed how they cover things within reason months after the purchase. This is the first time something like this has happened. They are reassuring me they will take care of any issues I have with the flash through the warranty. They're also contacting Pentax for me. Not sure why but I'm going along with the program. I always have the option of returning it for a full refund.
What would you do??
BTW- I'm loving this flash. Built solid and is a huge upgrade from my 360FGZ. It's compact size is great!!

09-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great price!
Too bad they didn't let you know beforehand. I just bought a grey market K-S2 but the seller is offering a 1 year warranty so it seemed worth the price. So far so good.
09-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just assumed it was a USA warranty because it was a Prime delivery. Maybe it slipped through the Amazon inspectors. LOL I don't see that seller offering the flash since I contacted them. A seller warranty may be a real pain if you ever have any issues. I guess it's a game of chance. My son just got a A7s from a seller that told him the same thing. Great price until you need something! I've been really lucky with all my gear as far as warranty repairs. I know there's always a first time??
09-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I know I took a risk. For the cheap price I decided it was worth it and so far it has been.

09-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Amazon Gray Market

Richo has a list of authorized dealers on their site and it's a downloadable pdf, so if I do buy something from Amazon I check that list first. I have been very fortunate not to have any major problems with any of my new gear, also used, generally I will buy from KEH, but I have also bought on PF, but I always avoid gray market stuff. Adorama also sells gray market but they have good warranty service or so I've heard.
09-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K50 was sold from a company in Canada as "refurbished" with 1 year warranty. It was an Amazon purchase also. However when I went to have service Precision took my sales receipt from Amazon and gave me zero difficulty.
09-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my AF360II when I travelled to Tokyo last year... never regret it and it is working like a charm with no issues at all. IMO, the newer flashes are much better than the older versions particularly with the front LED, my flash photos are so much better than before (even with my modified Stofen omni diffuser setup). Now, of course, I don't use any diffusers at all with the new flash.
09-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd guess you could still buy a SquareTrade warranty if you wanted: Amazon.com : SquareTrade 3-Year Camera Accident Protection Plan ($350-$400) : Camera And Photography Products : Camera & Photo