Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Any way to get K-5 serial number besides on the body? (stolen)

Had my K-5 stolen. At some point I wrote down the serial number but I can't find it. It makes it a lot easier to potentially recover from pawn shops if you have the serial number.

I may have the original packaging in a closet somewhere across the country. I can ask someone else to dig it up, but would the serial number be on any of the documents or boxes that came with the camera?

Is it embedded in any way in the image files as metadata?

Where on the camera is the serial number physically located? Maybe I have a pic I took with another camera that happens to have the serial number in view.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: I sent the unit into CRIS for service a couple of years ago. I would've had to have documented the serial number then. But I've since reinstalled windows and don't have the old e-mails. I guess I can e-mail them and see if they can help me.

09-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera
09-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Check Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera. I've never used it, but it's supposed to be able to: 1) Extract the camera serial number from one of your old photos; and 2) Search the web to look for other photos taken with that same serial #.

Since your camera was just taken #1 is what you need. Best wishes for finding it in a pawn shop quickly so you don't have to use feature #2.
09-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot. It lists my serial as being 4301xxx (replacing last 3 numbers with x just in case it somehow matters) - is that the serial number that would be on the camera body? Does that look like a valid/normal K-5 serial?

09-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera's PEF and JPG files contain the serial number. I'm not a Windows user, but on Linux I use the exiftool utility to extract/display the EXIF data. One of the pieces of information displayed is the camera's serial number. (If Windows doesn't show the serial number in the Properties tab for an image, you can look to download the exiftool for Windows at ExifTool by Phil Harvey).
09-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there any chance to recover the lens serial numbers with a similar method?
09-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
Not that I have seen in my files, though I have to say that many of my lenses are older (pre-digital) lenses. I checked to see if the FA 31mm f1.8's serial number shows up in the files, and it doesn't.

09-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you bought them new (or even used from a dealer), many places will show serial#'s for lenses on your receipt -- look up your old receipts (they may be also be saved online if you have account from where you bought them)...
09-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I know this doesn't help you now but in the future register your serial numbers on this site.
09-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently noticed that the serial number on my well-used DA 18-55mm (first version) lens is gone. It seems that the serial numbers on lenses and bodies manufactured in at least the last 8 years are in the form of a sticker. They aren't engraved in metal or stamped in plastic any more. To remove the serial number you just peel the sticker off the body or lens barrel. I suppose that a body can still be identified from the EXIF info in pictures taken with that body -- unless the thief hacks the firmware and changes it. I don't know whether lenses can be identified by an electronic signature.
09-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
One last question - would the lens serial number be in the box packaging the lens came with? I could have someone dig them out of a closet somewhere, but I'd rather save the hassle if they're not there, obviously.
09-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a free down load - PhotoMe, that will display all the EXIF data, including the serial number. You can use the solen image utilities to search for the images that the thief/person receiving stolen goods may post on line.

09-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may have the original packaging in a closet somewhere across the country. I can ask someone else to dig it up, but would the serial number be on any of the documents or boxes that came with the camera?
There would be a serial number card on the box. Also, your original sales receipt may include the serial number.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Be careful. EXIFTOOL returns two serial numbers: "Internal Serial Number" and "Serial Number". The latter is the serial number displayed on the base of the camera. However, Apple Aperture for one returns the former as serial number in its EXIF info. LR6 doesn't list either in its EXIF display.

I don't know the significance of the "Internal Serial Number": it is neither the SD card for example, nor the lens.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 09-11-2015 at 02:58 PM.
09-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Where on the camera is the serial number physically located? Maybe I have a pic I took with another camera that happens to have the serial number in view.
What about the photos/video of your camera that you took in the aftermath of the quicksand incident? The camera serial number is on the bottom near the battery door; I don't know about lens serial numbers.